There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Spitfire Symphony Orchestra - $499

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Linos

Spitfire Symphony Orchestra - $499

Post by Linos »

My my. Spitfire Audio have consolidated their Symphony Orchestra Series into one package. Now running in KOntakt 7, with a new GUI, and new legato programming by Andy Blaney. They are selling it at an introductury price of $499:

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/spitfire- ... a13b497d92

Guy Rowland

Re: Spitfire Symphony Orchestra - $499

Post by Guy Rowland »

Intresting how this is Kontakt not their own player - anyone know why?

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Guy Rowland wrote: Feb 22, 2024 6:04 pm Intresting how this is Kontakt not their own player - anyone know why?
I don't actually know why, Guy, so you may want to take this with a grain of salt. My understanding is that Native Instruments has been offering developers incentives to release libraries in the Kontakt 7 format, which is indeed the minimum requirement for Spitfire’s new version of their old library.

It seems very likely that it was quicker for Spitfire to update their old Kontakt files to version 7 than to migrate everything to their new player, thereby saving labor costs; so if NI gave Spitfire a deal on Kontakt 7 licenses, then it would have made the most financial sense for them to release this for Kontakt 7.

Spitfire has also discontinued the old versions of SSO, which makes one less reason to stick with the older versions of Kontakt. I wonder whether that was part of their deal with NI or whether they simply didn't want to have to support two versions of the same product. Either way, the old version will get the fixes of the new version but not the new legatos. As the new version is free for those who own the old version, the legatos will be made available by downloading the new product.

Best,

Geoff

playz123

Post by playz123 »

That was my thinking, too, Geoff. And since I own most, but not all, of those libraries, I’m very tempted to purchase this at the discount they have offered. There are also supposed to be bug fixes, so that’s welcome news IF they’ve taken care of most of the more annoying ones. Time will tell.
Frank E. Lancaster

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

playz123 wrote: Feb 23, 2024 1:00 am That was my thinking, too, Geoff. And since I own most, but not all, of those libraries, I’m very tempted to purchase this at the discount they have offered. There are also supposed to be bug fixes, so that’s welcome news IF they’ve taken care of most of the more annoying ones. Time will tell.
…and improved legatos by Andy Blaney. I didn’t realize Andy programmed for them.

I’m very curious to find out if they fix anything.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Geoff Grace wrote: Feb 22, 2024 9:40 pm I don't actually know why, Guy, so you may want to take this with a grain of salt.
No salt required, all makes sense to me Geoff!

Will be interested to hear reports on the libray. Not so much because I'll ever buy it, but because it has introduced a sliver of hope for Sable / SCS. If they actually fix all the sample issues and make the legato work better then I'd almost certainly buy a chamber orchestra.

Markus K

Post by Markus K »

All in all this seems like a great oppotunity to get the complete SSO if everything works well. I was contemplating about SSS but didn't want to spend another 600,- bucks to complete the package. Now I get it for 140,- due to the fact I have the Chamber Pro version without SSS. The CTAO mics are eveything you really need IMO. Absolutely reasonable.
Hopefully loading times of Kontakt 7 won't go through the roof. I still mostly use Kontakt 6.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Markus K wrote: Feb 23, 2024 4:31 am Hopefully loading times of Kontakt 7 won't go through the roof. I still mostly use Kontakt 6.
Sample handling is fine with K7, it's just the initial startup of the first plugin it seems for some users. On my Macbook it's fine, but not W11.

dbh

Post by dbh »

Guy Rowland wrote: Feb 23, 2024 5:06 am
Markus K wrote: Feb 23, 2024 4:31 am Hopefully loading times of Kontakt 7 won't go through the roof. I still mostly use Kontakt 6.
Sample handling is fine with K7, it's just the initial startup of the first plugin it seems for some users. On my Macbook it's fine, but not W11.
I had several libraries that took ages to load on K7 and are fine in K6, no idea why (and yes, have batch resaved previously). Having updated all my template instances to K7 I then moved half back to K6 as it was taking way too long to load instruments. I use one instance per library so could be the initial startup of K7 except that it's only ever when it's loading specific libraries, anything written for K7 (i.e. latest NI stuff) is fine.