There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

(Nimbus) The New Reverb from Exponential Audio !

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Muziksculp

(Nimbus) The New Reverb from Exponential Audio !

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

New Reverb announced by Exponential Audio ... Nimbus !

New Nimbus Reverb by Exponential Audio

Cheers,
Muziksculp

wst3

Re: (Nimbus) The New Reverb from Exponential Audio !

Post by wst3 »

Just read the email, very exciting news!

Topic author
Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

riffwraith

Post by riffwraith »

wst3 wrote:Just read the email, very exciting news!
I must ask - why is this exciting news? There are so many good reverb options out there already, what is there to get excited about here? Of course options are good, but, well.... maybe that's left for another convo.

I really liked the way the verb sounds on the guitar. On the two vox demos, it sounds pretty bad, IMO. After listening to those three demos, and reading the site, it's not at all clear to me what this can do that the other offerings on the marked cannot.

Cheers.

Topic author
Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

They usually will follow up these videos with in-depth tutorials, and show what is unique/special about it. I'm waiting to watch the in-depth tutorials once they are released to better evaluate Nimbus.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

riffwraith wrote:I must ask - why is this exciting news?.
Jeffrey,

It is nice news because the EA Phoenix is considered by many to be one of the better software reverbs available, so if this Nimbus improves on that — quality-wise and functionality-wise — you’ll have to forgive the Phoenix user for wanting to use the word ‘exciting’.

Having said that, these videos didn’t exactly make me — a loyal Phoenix and R2 fan since day one — slide off my chair either.

_

riffwraith

Post by riffwraith »

Piet De Ridder wrote:
riffwraith wrote:It is nice news because the EA Phoenix is considered by many to be one of the better software reverbs available, so if this Nimbus improves on that — quality-wise and functionality-wise — you’ll have to forgive the Phoenix user for wanting to use the word ‘exciting’.
Ok, I hear that. Thanks for the explanation.

I have never used Phoenix, but I know a lot of people like it. If this makes some people happy, then that's good. :) I am just not hearing anything that is making me slide off my chair either.

Cheers.

PhJ

Post by PhJ »

Does anybody know what that piano piece is in the last example ?
I want to read that, it's beautiful.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Some good examples of Nimbus at work on this page.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

since you asked...

It is exciting that Exponential Audio is announcing a new product - at the time I received the email that was pretty much it, and I thought it was exciting news. While there are a great many great reverb plug-ins on the market I've yet to find one that can replace my hardware (which ain't that extravagant). At the moment I'm spending a lot of time working with Adaptiverb, but I'm always willing to listen to what Exponential Audio has to offer.

Then I listened to that acoustic guitar demo video, and I was probably even a little more excited - that is a really good (read effective) demo! Sady, for me, it was the best demo of the bunch, and the rest left me somewhat less excited.

I remain very interested...

Jack Weaver

Post by Jack Weaver »

Seems like a very useful tool for all sorts of pop and acoustic mixing. The many presets allow for a divergent range of effects. The man knows his processing tools - ducking, expansion, compression, etc. - and where to apply them.
In the main, it seems a subtle tool with all sorts of tone crafting available.

It makes you think about what you are actually doing with the reverb. It's not a set-and- forget wash of reverberant goo.

Topic author
Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

Nimbus has been released !

Exponential Audio Nimbus

Oh.. and Groove 3 has released a Video Tutorial for Nimbus Groove 3 NIMBUS Video Tutorials

Cheers,
Muziksculp

wst3

Post by wst3 »

downloaded the demo a few minutes ago - this evening is not going to be quite as productive as I originally planned<G>!

Based on the use cases in their demo videos I'm really excited to give this a spin. I do wish it wasn't coming on the heels of Adaptiverb, which I am still learning.

Topic author
Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

What kind of Reverb Applications is Adaptiverb very good, or special at ? What Type musical applications would you use it for?

I heard some demos of Adaptiverb, but I'm not very sure if I like what it's doing. Is it mostly a special effects type of reverb, for ambient music, or ..... ?

givemenoughrope

Post by givemenoughrope »

Looks like a pretty useful tool. I never considered ducking the tail or expansion, etc. but can't this all be done with some dynamic eq and sidechain comp/exp on the reverb channel? Or is the appeal to have it all in one handy, low-CPU plugin?

woodsdenis

Post by woodsdenis »

All of what it does could be done with filters and distortion pre or post Nimbus, it combines it all to make adjustments like this very easy and simple. I am debating about this and it is a very good reverb as you would expect.

1. If you don't have Phoenix this is a steal as its a Phoenix +
2. If you have any other EA plugin this is an even bigger steal.
3. If you have Phoenix its not a straightforward upgrade in the sense I have R2 and Xcal and a plethora of other reverbs, the beauty of Phoenix is its natural sound this adds the ability to essentially muck it up a bit.
Thanks, Denis

Cubase 10.5, Live 10, Mac Pro 10.14.6

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Muziksculp wrote:What kind of Reverb Applications is Adaptiverb very good, or special at ? What Type musical applications would you use it for?

I heard some demos of Adaptiverb, but I'm not very sure if I like what it's doing. Is it mostly a special effects type of reverb, for ambient music, or ..... ?
I got it for special effects, and it will be eons before I exhaust the capabilities. BUT, it is really cool as a, you know, reverb too.

I've been adding it to tracks and doing subtle things with it (there are some subtle presets, not many<G>!) but it is also a bit of a resource hog, so I end up printing them. I read somewhere that they are working on an update that won't use quite so much CPU. That would be cool.

If I had to find a word to describe it I think I'd call it a very musical reverb, and I'm not sure how to expand on that verbally, but it seems to adapt to the track, either as a special effect or as a reverb, and it's really nice.

I haven't put it in a bus to use in place of a plate or a chamber, although I guess that's a possibility too.

I think it sounds great, it has LOTS of knobs to tweak, and it can take you down roads you might not have followed. Not (yet, maybe ever) my go-to reverb, but thus far I'm really happy with it.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

givemenoughrope wrote:Looks like a pretty useful tool. I never considered ducking the tail or expansion, etc. but can't this all be done with some dynamic eq and sidechain comp/exp on the reverb channel? Or is the appeal to have it all in one handy, low-CPU plugin?
Certainly most if not all of the new tricks can be done by patching a bunch of plug-ins, or gear together. This promises to make it a little easier, maybe a little more immediate. I suspect I'll spend some time over the next couple of evenings experimenting with it. And I can't wait.

I didn't pick up Phoenix or R2 yet, haven't had a project with a budget that justified them. This looks like a really good deal from that perspective. And I do have Excalibur, which I use a LOT more than I ever expected. Maybe only one or two instances in a project, but it certainly adds something.

Pretty cool stuff!