There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Grace Design Model 101 mic preamp-SOLD

Sell any 2nd hand kit or software
Forum rules
Please make sure you can legally sell anything you post here - some software developers expressly forbid reselling.

Topic author
Lawrence

Grace Design Model 101 mic preamp-SOLD

Post by Lawrence »

Hi,

I’m selling my original silverface Grace 101 mic preamp. It’s single channel, VERY clean and transparent and in very good shape and perfect working order, just a few light scratches here and there. I’m asking $300 shipped in the U.S. or $285 shipped internationally, buyer pays shipping. Two week money back guarantee for any dysfunction, again, buyer pays shipping. Please PM me if interested.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

wst3

Re: Grace Design Model 101 mic preamp

Post by wst3 »

tempted, but alas I have other more pressing needs. Still that is a remarkably fair price. Does yours have the lovely Ribbon mode button?

I am curious, with what are you replacing it? The Grace is probably my second favorite preamplifier, and the only two that beat it - to my ears - are the Millennia Media and John Hardy, both equally clean and transparent. So what replaced it for you? Inquiring minds and all that.

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Hi Bill,

Nope, the silver face doesn’t have the ribbon mode, that was in the next iteration.

As for replacing it, I recently transitioned from a MOTU Ultralite to an RME Babyface Pro, and when I tried it out I decided I liked the mic preamps enough to let go of my beloved Grace, though itvtruly is a lovely piece of kit. I too have more pressing needs. Cheers!
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

wst3

Post by wst3 »

It would be pretty simple to add a ribbon mode - I've done something similar to other preamplifiers with mixed results.

So the RME microphone preamplifier is competitive with the Grace? I am seriously impressed! That's no mean feat...

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

You know, I can’t really say that, and in reality I’m sure it isn’t, at least not for more discerning ears than mine. Thing is, when I initially hooked up my BabyFace directly without the preamp and did a vocal, I thought “hmmm, that sounds pretty good.”

That was DEFINITELY not the case when I tried my MOTU in the same fashion. I heard that difference immediately.

L.J. Nachsin

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I have great respect for RME. So I'm not shocked that it could be competitive, impressed, but not shocked. And of course competitive implies that we are talking about application specific, your room, your ears. Pretty good has become good enough, or rather good enough has become the new quality benchmark. We might have chased after that last 10% once, we are less likely to do so now. I think it is cool that you found a way to simplify!

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Well, simplify...maybe yes, maybe no. If I sell it, let's see what I invest the proceeds in... :)

L.J. Nachsin

wst3

Post by wst3 »

you are wise beyond your years Larry!

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

At well over one hundred years old, I sincerely doubt that, Bill :)

L.J. Nachsin