There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Spitfire Audio 'Symphonic Motions' Library Released

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Muziksculp

Spitfire Audio 'Symphonic Motions' Library Released

Post by Muziksculp »

Guy Rowland

Re: Spitfire Audio 'Symphonic Motions' Library Released

Post by Guy Rowland »

At £120 the intro price is quite appealing. I'd love to have heard more slurred examples though - we've got a hundred regular Ostinato libraries, but the slurred thing is far less common.

Topic author
Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Purchased :)

At $149.39 and 13 GB Download size, this was an easy decision. This will surely be a useful library to have.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Give us your feedback! And if pos a few quick renderings of faster slurred stuff would be amazing.

WindcryMusic

Post by WindcryMusic »

Yep, I bought it as well, as the intro price was inviting, plus it does sound like it may nicely fill a gap for me. I do already have some similar repeating patterns from Metropolis Arc, but this seems like it should blend much better with the SF orchestral libraries that are the meat and potatoes of my template, and the slurred repeats are especially enticing.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I find myself more interested in ARKHIS at this time, for a little more money. Different beast, but in controlling my gear lust I'll have to choose one.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

tack

Post by tack »

Dear Lazyweb,

How does it set itself apart from NI Action Strings?
- Jason

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

Sounds useful for many situations. I have mixed feelings about them leaving the violas out and the mixed sections approach. It would have been nice to have each section separated. That would have made it even more attractive to me personally.

WindcryMusic

Post by WindcryMusic »

Lawrence wrote: Jul 09, 2020 4:05 pm I find myself more interested in ARKHIS at this time, for a little more money. Different beast, but in controlling my gear lust I'll have to choose one.
That one is interesting to me too, but with NI being involved, I expect it will see a 50% discount and/or be included in Komplete within a year or two. And since it seems to me to be less tonal and more aleatoric/sound bed oriented, I don’t feel like I have much of a need for it right now, as I’m attempting to concentrate on composition for the time being. Also, I have Straylight, which I think has similarities. So I think I can wait for a sale on Arkhis.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

I qualify for the discount, so I obviously like a number of the Spitfire's releases. As a result, I'm saddened to say that the demos for this library rub me the wrong way. They're too mechanical for me, slamming ostinato after ostinato, the way a carpenter hammers in nails when working on the roof of your home.

I'm sleep deprived today, so I'm hoping my reaction is due to that. That said, I can easily see how this library could work as a dramatic device for creating tension; but for the time being, I have an aversion to listening to it. It grates on my nerves.

I'm glad for Spitfire's sake that I seem to be the odd one out.

Best,

Geoff

Jaap

Post by Jaap »

tack wrote: Jul 09, 2020 4:25 pm Dear Lazyweb,

How does it set itself apart from NI Action Strings?
Yes the question I asked myself also after seeing the walkthrough. At first I thought, mm sounds nice and useful, but then thinking a bit more about it seems also quite limited maybe as you can't really change anything, only violins 1, 2 and celli and then I realised I have also Action Strings in my Komplete package.
As far as I can judge Action Strings is easier to blend maybe and has for sure as far as I can judge a lot more options to combine different patterns.

Curious about the thoughts from others as well.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

On further reflection, I've come to realize that the biggest problem I have with this new library is that the motions in Symphonic Motions sound 100% quantized with no nuance of swing feel. For me, that destroys the illusion of realism that may have been achieved in other aspects of the library's programming.

As a result, I was inspired not to buy this library, but instead, to create the thread I've linked to below:

Quantization and Realism

Best,

Geoff

ok_tan

Post by ok_tan »

I bought it and had a little trial...like most spitfire libraries i gonna use about 10% of the material. spitfires aesthetics are not mine, most of their stuff is too noisy for me, and i also prefer smaller rooms and a more in the face sound.
but the trailer crowd on VI will love it, i'm sure :)
its too much quantized, as geoff said, but there are some pearls in that library (from my pov).

tundra, LCO, and some evos (especially the arnaldson evos) are beautiful, pure inspiration whenever i start to play around with them.

i wish spitfire would allow me to give my other albions as donation to a local art university...sigh.

but all in all, symphonic movements is not a bad buy. i think the spitfire player is too limiting.
thx! theo

BernardBluemist

Post by BernardBluemist »

I like it. Started using it today.

Topic author
Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Blake Ewing

Post by Blake Ewing »

I'd buy it in Kontakt format. Maybe that's some market research for them. 😛
Composer. Audionaut.
http://www.blakeewingmusic.com

Topic author
Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Now, I like this use of the library:

Best,

Geoff

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Geoff Grace wrote: Jul 20, 2020 1:01 pm Now, I like this use of the library:

Best,

Geoff
IMHO, Christian has done a fabulous job in this video by demonstrating that Motions is far deeper and more versatile than what many thought. And the way he brings everything together is complex and also fascinating to watch. I've always found his communication skills to be excellent as well, and I've certainly learned from his presentations over the years. And the kindness he showed to me in the past was far beyond expectations. Well worth watching this.
Frank E. Lancaster

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

I agree, Frank.

Christian demonstrated that Symphonic Motions works great in a hybrid setting if you use it the right way, which he did. As a result, I can see the value in this product much more clearly.

Best,

Geoff

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Christian's video is excellent. Very nice layering and arrangement techniques for the full Hans Zimmer. I particularly liked the percussion and low 808 elements actually.

I can feel myself getting worn down, there are nice textures and techniques in there. When does the sale end?

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jul 21, 2020 9:44 am Christian's video is excellent. Very nice layering and arrangement techniques for the full Hans Zimmer. I particularly liked the percussion and low 808 elements actually.

I can feel myself getting worn down, there are nice textures and techniques in there. When does the sale end?
If you own applicable products like SCS, the reduced sale price ends on August 2. For me, it’s $149 US until then.
Frank E. Lancaster

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks Frank. Figured I may as well get on with it at this point, so just ordered.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Well it seems pretty nice. One quite nice trick is to load up two instances playing the same part. On one mix solo the stage mics set the articulations to bowed, and the other close mics and staccatos. These seems to get a fun balance of blurry chaos and definition - mix to taste.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

OT, like Christian I use an EV RE-20 a lot and that pop filter fits it perfectly. Anyone know what that is?
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com