There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Wallet Storage

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
kpc

Wallet Storage

Post by kpc »

I have safely stowed my wallet away in a un-disclosed location as to not purchase anything more in 2020. Do not tempt me with you end of 2020 sales (Project Sam, U-He). Do not try and pry said wallet open - do not search for the location. I will not be turned.

Happy Holidays everyone - see you on the other side.
- kayle

Guy Rowland

Re: Wallet Storage

Post by Guy Rowland »

Too late for me. I've already picked up the UVI Toy Suite upgrade - you have to email them for a code, 99 euros. Its terrific, sorting all my niggles that stopped me using the previous version, which was the main reason to jump (a thing is only as good as its weakest element, I always say). Lots of new goodies in there too.

Meanwhile I may as well just succumb to the inevitable and get both Zebras (Zebri?)

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Zebras is better. That's the accusative plural. Zebrae would be the nominative plural. Zebri is the locative singular.

_

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Piet - I believe you have way too much free time sir!

Mike Marino

Post by Mike Marino »

Too late here as well. Grabbed the Drumline from Spitfire. But that's it! Lol

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

One more day for Sonokinetic to put Minimal or Indie on sale, and if they don't, I'm safe.
Be an upstander.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Mike Marino wrote: Dec 18, 2020 4:14 pm Too late here as well. Grabbed the Drumline from Spitfire. But that's it! Lol
Did you get a chance to play with it yet? I am probably going to get it, just because<G>!

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Dec 18, 2020 3:26 pm Zebras is better. That's the accusative plural. Zebrae would be the nominative plural. Zebri is the locative singular.
This is why The Sound Board is the greatest place on the Internet.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

We’re on the Internet now??
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Mike Marino

Post by Mike Marino »

wst3 wrote: Dec 18, 2020 5:20 pm
Mike Marino wrote: Dec 18, 2020 4:14 pm Too late here as well. Grabbed the Drumline from Spitfire. But that's it! Lol
Did you get a chance to play with it yet? I am probably going to get it, just because<G>!
I did! Yeah, go grab it. It's the best sounding drumline library on the market, and for a mere $29. The next closest thing availble is Sample Logic's Rumble (also utilizing the same drumline, the Blue Devils). Rumble is $300 though. I bought a boxed version back in 2014 on Amazon for $30. There's no way in hell I'd pay $300 for Rumble.

Let me explain why I'm bringing SL's Rumble into the conversation. They both recorded the Blue Devils drumline. And the Blue Devils have used a consistent tuning scheme across their drums for years. So they work together quite nicely. More on this in a second.

Snares: Spitfire has captured the best ensemble playing I've heard yet. There are slight imperfections in the timing of the players in that you can hear there are multiple performers. They have a Tighten knob (assignable to a CC) that cuts further into the sample so that you can control the level fo playing imperfection. There's more body and depth to the sound of the drums whereas Rumble is a little brighter and crispier. Spitfire recorded this library at the Newman Soundstage whereas Rumble was recorded at Skywalker Sound. It's also worth noting that when Sample Logic recorded them they were using Pearl Drums whereas they now use a custom System Blue drums (which are notably drier). It's also worth mentioning that the rimshots in Drumline are better balanced overall whereas they can be 'gunshotty' in volume with Rumble.

Basses: Like the snares they are a bit more rounded and have more body than the basses in Rumble. The top two drums really shine through in Drumline whereas the lower drums stand out more with Rumble. The tuning schemes between the two libraries are close enough that they can be used in tandem, layered on top of each other.

Cymbals: A few basic articulations that does what it needs to do.

Tenors: And here's where SF dropped the ball...even at $29. The tenor drums for the Blue Devils have six drums; 6", 8", 10", 12", 13", and 14". Rumble has all of these. SF Drumline only has three (?!?!?!); what sounds like the 8", 12", and 14". Which, if you're writing modern drumline music, makes them completely unusable. (Basically just used the cluster of three drums on the performers left side).
Tenors.jpg
Tenors.jpg (35.41 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
Here's a screen shot of the gui. You'll see that each articulation is doubled up, lower register matching the upper register for hands-apart playing if that's how you're entering the music.
Pic.jpg
Something else to mention is that Rumble really doesn't have a MP layer which makes it excruciating to program (particularly as it relates to accents and taps when playing softer passages). SF's Drumline offers dynamics control via the modwheel so that can help. Drumline also offers sustained double stroke and buzz rolls.

Here's a quick example of Spitfire Drumline by itself, snares and basses only since the tenors are incomplete:
https://app.box.com/s/db9vgd0jzy5vscri4xfd3g91tpqpy1c6

Here's that same example, layering in Sample Logic's Rumble. I've layered in Rumble's snares and basses, also including their tenors and cymbals:
https://app.box.com/s/c7n3mp3v81mjw6nse5vit2zpyh9wyhs3

SF only example uses just a bit of EQ, mainly cutting lows and pushing up the top end a touch with the snares; cutting some lows, a touch of mid scoop, and a slight boost on the highs with the basses.

Hope that helps!

riffwraith

Post by riffwraith »

Well, if you just give your wallet to me, it will be perfectly safe.

Perfectly.

No really.

I mean, seriously.

:)

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

Doesn't help to hide the wallet as long as I remember my PayPal login. I'm doomed.

(and it's C-Bra's)

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks for that info on Drumline Mike, it had passed me by entirely. Demo sounds great. I like Tonehammer's Drum Crops well enough, but I agree their snares do sound spectacular.

Mike Marino

Post by Mike Marino »

Guy Rowland wrote: Dec 19, 2020 5:04 am Thanks for that info on Drumline Mike, it had passed me by entirely. Demo sounds great. I like Tonehammer's Drum Crops well enough, but I agree their snares do sound spectacular.
Guy, I have that one as well. What I like about that one is ability to use in the instruments inside as well as outside. It's a single player in this case versus the ensemble....but perhaps they can blend. Haven't tried it yet.

Another option could be some phrases found here: https://www.iwantthatsound.com/drumline

This library utilizes members from another incredibly reputable drumline, Music City Mystique (out of Nashville, TN). They're pre-recorded phrases but could give you another (fast) option in your arsenal should you need to add this sound to your music. I don't have this one so I can't comment on the library itself, only the merit of the members recording it.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Mike Marino wrote: Dec 18, 2020 5:59 pm
wst3 wrote: Dec 18, 2020 5:20 pm
I did! Yeah, go grab it. It's the best sounding drumline library on the market, and for a mere $29. The next closest thing availble is Sample Logic's Rumble (also utilizing the same drumline, the Blue Devils). Rumble is $300 though. I bought a boxed version back in 2014 on Amazon for $30. There's no way in hell I'd pay $300 for Rumble.Lots of important info snipped
Thank you Mike, I trust your opinion, and ears. I was, in fact, skeptical because I was aware of Rumble, and it's price tag. And I passed.

Not sure if you marched in the past, but I think you did. I know I did, all the way through high school and college. At one point a friend of mine and I were invited to join a local corps, but the demands on our time was more than we could handle, and even we were able to understand that (yes, our parents immediately shot that down!)

So I love drum lines, and I do own the SoundIron library, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Thanks Mike!!!!

Bill

Mike Marino

Post by Mike Marino »

wst3 wrote: Dec 19, 2020 9:57 am]

Thank you Mike, I trust your opinion, and ears. I was, in fact, skeptical because I was aware of Rumble, and it's price tag. And I passed.

Not sure if you marched in the past, but I think you did. I know I did, all the way through high school and college. At one point a friend of mine and I were invited to join a local corps, but the demands on our time was more than we could handle, and even we were able to understand that (yes, our parents immediately shot that down!)

So I love drum lines, and I do own the SoundIron library, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Thanks Mike!!!!

Bill
Hey Bill, thanks for the kind words! I think if you're after that rudimental modern drumline sound, SF's Drumline is where it's at. Again, the let down here is an incomplete set of tenors. What a bummer! But everything else is wonderfully done! I don't think you'll have regrets with it (especially at this proce point).

I terms of marching, I did; all through high school, three years at the University of Florida, and a year with the Crossmen Drum & Bugle Corps, professional gigs, etc. Then all of the time instructing/designing/writing for groups like this:
Infinity Percussion_2012.jpg
Marching percussion is where my entire musical journey began. But it's an odd niche to know a lot of minutia about. It'd be like walking around with someone who's knowledgable in the field of scoffolds LOL.

Mike Marino

Post by Mike Marino »

Also: Sorry Kayle. I've hijacked this thread and didn't mean to.

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

soundbylaura wrote: Dec 18, 2020 5:00 pm One more day for Sonokinetic to put Minimal or Indie on sale, and if they don't, I'm safe.
Aaaand Indie is on sale. :D
Be an upstander.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

they see you when you're composing, they know what you want<G>!

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

And I bought it too! Did not buy any compressors. Phew.
Be an upstander.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Guy Rowland wrote: Dec 19, 2020 5:04 am Thanks for that info on Drumline Mike
+1
Mike Marino wrote: Dec 19, 2020 10:18 am
wst3 wrote: Dec 19, 2020 9:57 am Not sure if you marched in the past, but I think you did. I know I did, all the way through high school and college.
I terms of marching, I did; all through high school, three years at the University of Florida, and a year with the Crossmen Drum & Bugle Corps, professional gigs, etc. Then all of the time instructing/designing/writing for groups like this:
Infinity Percussion_2012.jpg

Marching percussion is where my entire musical journey began. But it's an odd niche to know a lot of minutia about. It'd be like walking around with someone who's knowledgable in the field of scoffolds LOL.
Small world! I was drum section leader (first chair) in high school. I was told that the marching band was still playing the cadence I wrote twenty years after I graduated. (I have no idea whether they're still playing it today, as I rarely go back to my hometown.)

You both have more experience in that area than I do, though. I stopped marching in college because I needed my nights free to gig. I got my rhythm fix playing keyboards in a funk band.
Mike Marino wrote: Dec 19, 2020 10:21 am Also: Sorry Kayle. I've hijacked this thread and didn't mean to.
I apologize as well. I'm afraid I was too tempted by the opportunity to share.

Thanks, Mike, again for your Drumline review.

Best,

Geoff

Mike Marino

Post by Mike Marino »

soundbylaura wrote: Dec 20, 2020 1:04 pm And I bought it too! Did not buy any compressors. Phew.
How is Indie??? Happy with the purchase?

Mike Marino

Post by Mike Marino »

Geoff Grace wrote: Dec 20, 2020 4:27 pm Small world! I was drum section leader (first chair) in high school. I was told that the marching band was still playing the cadence I wrote twenty years after I graduated. (I have no idea whether they're still playing it today, as I rarely go back to my hometown.

Thanks, Mike, again for your Drumline review.
That's really cool man. Small world indeed! And you're more than welcome!