There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Chick Corea

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
1gc

Chick Corea

Post by 1gc »

Thank you Chick Corea for all of the wonder. Wish I would have said it to you when you were still here.
But God just got a hell of a piano player!
Rest in Beauty and Peace. Maybe in heaven you won't have to practice so much.
g.c.

Piet De Ridder

Re: Chick Corea

Post by Piet De Ridder »

One of the greatest ever. Devastating loss.
A black day.
Thanks, Chick, for ..., well, everything.

_

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

“Light as a Feather” was seminal for me. R.I.P.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Chick remains one of my favorite musicians, I am sorry to learn that he has moved on. He did leave behind more than a few treasures!

paoling

Post by paoling »

I remember a beautiful afternoon here in Barcelona when he paid a visit to the conservatory, talked and played with the students. It was a beautiful moment and I was struck by his suggestion to a piano player who was practicing Mozart. She was performing it well, but it was a bit meachanical and he suggested to play it as it was a dance. She seemed a bit puzzled but when she tried it, her performing was suddenly way more musical.
Also one of our closest friend Riccardo Barba dedicated his thesis to his work. Chick was performing in Milan, so Riccardo went to his concert and gave him the thesis. He was so humbled and sorry not to be able to attend to his graduation (which included a mini-concerto in the conservatory) because he was leaving Italy the day after.

Years later him Riccardo dedicated this piece in his music project with Olmo. I like how some of Chick's phrasing is present in Riccardo's solos. Chick Corea listened to it and he was delighted by this piece.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

What a touching and vivid story, Paolo! I almost feel like I was there to see it.

I was very sad to hear this news yesterday. Chick Corea was a giant of jazz and a profound influence for many of us. I spent many hours woodshedding to his music in high school and college.

I was lucky to see him perform in the '70s on Return To Forever's Romantic Warrior tour and later on the two piano tour with Herbie Hancock.

Lately, I'd been enjoying Chick's YouTube channel.

His passing leaves a deep void in the music world.

Best,

Geoff