There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Orchestral Tools / Duplex Saxophones

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Orchestral Tools / Duplex Saxophones

Post by Piet De Ridder »

"Tap into the sound of the most expressive and visceral of all the woodwinds. From cool blue tones to red-hot growls, Duplex Saxophones offers a rich palette for crafting engaging sax performances. With four solo instruments, a choice of two playing styles, and unique attention to detail, Duplex Saxophones is the definitive contemporary saxophone library."

Intro price (until August 11th: €179 (+VAT)
Regular price €249

_

FriFlo

Re: Orchestral Tools / Duplex Saxophones

Post by FriFlo »

Great to see that OT has decided to do something for more Jazz-libraries! Somewhat mixed feelings about these Saxes, though ... they follow the OT concept of just using one dynamic layer for solo instruments. Otherwise, I wouldn't know how they could have managed to keep the size as small as 7Gb given the content of that library.

Parts of the demos sound really well to me, in some occasions, however, it sounds a bit flat. That and the lack of dynamic layers makes me doubtful about a purchase. Where the demos sound great, I am very much afraid the demos might be written around what this library can do well, but I am not so sure how well these saxes would sound with any given phrase thrown at them ...

With an oboe, I guess I can live with a soloist with one dynamic layer plus different expressions in sustains. The instrument doesn't have as much dynamic range in its typical context of a solo, anyway. But a Saxophone solo uses am much wider dynamic range and double reeds have way more range to start with. I don't want to be limited to pre-recorded expressions.

I guess I will stick with my SM/AM Saxes for dry sax sound, for now. They are not perfect, but I believe they are a lot more flexible.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Here's a walkthrough:

_

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Intro Price ends today. Did anybody get it?

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

FriFlo wrote: Aug 09, 2021 12:00 pm Intro Price ends today. Did anybody get it?
Intro Price ends August 11th. , today is August 9th. :)

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Alright, but close! I just got a reminder by OT. THE END IS NEAR!!! Maybe that made me go to panic mode. :-) Seriously, I am not gonna buy it, now! My Saxophone requirements are pretty much served for the moment. Just curious, where and if this will be a step forward.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

There's some nice tone in these. I'm on the fence. As always with sampled saxes, the transitions sound clunky, but these might be a little better than usual. I love some of the arts. The bend-ups are exceptional.

I dislike most of the vibrato a fair amount, and hear a lot of that dreaded doubling/chorusing on some of the later examples-two saxes in one! I can imagine having to skip notes and transitions as I'm trying to write, which would make me write to the samples more than I'd like. Choices, choices.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Lawrence wrote: Aug 09, 2021 3:18 pm There's some nice tone in these. I'm on the fence. As always with sampled saxes, the transitions sound clunky, but these might be a little better than usual. I love some of the arts. The bend-ups are exceptional.

I dislike most of the vibrato a fair amount, and hear a lot of that dreaded doubling/chorusing on some of the later examples-two saxes in one! I can imagine having to skip notes and transitions as I'm trying to write, which would make me write to the samples more than I'd like. Choices, choices.
Exactly what I am afraid of as well and after listening through the walkthrough (which I missed before), I think there are lots of clunky transitions in there ... I guess, it will be hit and miss and I totally don't get why they won't even record multiple layers for short notes! I get why they think it is clever for the long notes and legato transitions, but why on the shorts?!