There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

The Moogerfoogers are back in town

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

The Moogerfoogers are back in town

Post by Piet De Ridder »

"Moog makes its debut in the universal software space with recreations of its beloved analog effects pedals. Moogerfooger Effects Plug-ins are now available to purchase for a limited-time introductory price of $149 USD (regularly $249) at Moog Music."

The complete collection of Moogerfooger Effects Plug-ins includes all seven reimagined Moogerfooger pedals in software form:

- MF-101S Lowpass Filter - the classic Moog ladder filter with an envelope follower for dynamic control

- MF-102S Ring Modulator - a wide-range carrier oscillator paired with an LFO for effects from soft tremolo through far-out clangorous ring modulation tones
- MF-103S 12-Stage Phaser - a descendant of the vibrant 1970s rack-mounted Moog phaser with an on-board LFO

- MF-104S Analog Delay - a rich, full-bodied delay and modulation circuit that has remained highly sought after to this day

- MF-105S MuRF - a groundbreaking effect combining a resonant filter bank with a pattern generator and skewing envelope for vibrant animation of an incoming sound
- MF-107S FreqBox - a box of gnarly synced VCO sounds with envelope and FM modulation
- MF-108S Cluster Flux - a flexible processor that can modulate between chorus, flanging, and vibrato

__

wst3

Re: The Moogerfoogers are back in town

Post by wst3 »

Remember when I said I was done buying plugins, that I had too many already? I also said it would take something unimaginable to get my attention.

It has happened.

I used the Moogerfooger phase shifter and ring modulator years ago, I couldn't afford to buy them, which I am certain disappointed the friend that loaned them to me.

These were some amazing effects! I need to wait a bit to see what they sell for, but I've already started saving my pennies.

Funny part is I still wouldn't mind the hardware....

wst3

Post by wst3 »

for those who missed the very brief existence of the Moog Guit.ar I'd encourage you to check it out. Another item on my "when I win the lottery" list.

The guitarist for Umphrey's McGee made excellent use of his. Here are some videos for the curious:
A intro demo at Summer NAMM 2008

Phil Keaggy at the same NAMM show

Kaki King (if you do not know her music you should<G>)

And I guess I should throw in an excellent demo of the pedals

doctoremmet

Post by doctoremmet »

Despite the GUI issues these were insta-purchases for me. Just to put my 1981 Rhodes mk 2 through them. And I can attest that sounds great. A propos, Moog effects: I can also wholeheartedly recommend the Cherry Audio Rackmode effects (they emulate different effects, including a vocoder, from an earlier Moog era). But yes, these Moogerfoogers sound great.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Yes, a great-sounding and very useful set. (And not just for typical electronic music usage.)
No serious GUI issues here on my 24inch Philips monitors, although it would be nice to have the option to have these plugins displayed a little larger.

_

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I missed the price the first time around, shame on me! $150 for all of that goodness? It is now on my list, cause I need more plugins<G>.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Now available individually from $59. And in pairs and quads and all sorts.

https://software.moogmusic.com/store

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

For me the best of these plugins is the distortion (available in each of them). Warm and fat.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

The Saxer wrote: Mar 06, 2023 2:58 am For me the best of these plugins is the distortion (available in each of them). Warm and fat.
Suitable for guitar or more like a general effect?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

I'm not a guitar player so I can't really answer. I's not an amp simulation but I can imagine it's useful for guitar sounds too. The Moogerfoogers were originally designed as guitar fx.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

An outstanding set. And it keeps surprising you. Which I always like.

There’s one thing that spoils the fun occasionally for me — but as I’m still running Logic in Rosetta-mode on account of BFD3 still not being M1-compatible, I don’t know if the Moog-code is entirely to blame — and that is that, sometimes, when you load one of these Moogerfoogers, its GUI-pane remains black and Logic freezes. Necessitating a restart. Doesn’t happen all that often, but enough to be mindful of it. (I quickly learned to save what I’m working on, before loading a Fooger.)

The Moog team is really good at virtualizing their sound, I find. Of all the virtual Minimoogs I’m familiar with, the one from Universal Audio (which was developed in partnership with Moog) is definitely the most ballsy and Moog-ish one, to my ears. And the virtual Modular from Moog, the Moog 15 plug-in, is also very, very nice, if somewhat awkward to work with, due to architecture of what’s being emulated.

__