There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Native Instruments Valves - Pro version now released

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Native Instruments Valves - Pro version now released

Post by Guy Rowland »

Think this looks and sounds rather good. It's 5 solo brass instruments - flugelhorn, french horn, trombone, euphonium, tuba - sampled with legatos and put into a clever engine that can auto-arrange/divisi.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ic/valves/

RRP €89

RobS

Re: Native Instruments Valves

Post by RobS »

but these are not regular multisampled instruments, right? It's loops where each instrument is isolated... not sure how useful that can be

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

RobS wrote: Jan 18, 2023 8:23 am but these are not regular multisampled instruments, right? It's loops where each instrument is isolated... not sure how useful that can be
As I understand it from the walkthrough it's all individual samples, and the phrase builder assembles the articulations.

trumpoz

Post by trumpoz »

The tone is lovely - not something that I can see myself using, but I enjoy the sound.
Richard Linton

I'm just a guy who plays and writes music.

I suffer from G.A.S. - Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Looks like all phrases to me, which is too bad because I enjoy writing passages for mellow brass choirs. Oh well.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Just to be clear - these are not recorded melodic phrases. The concept is to build individual articulations into custom parts. Which does rather beg the question - why on earth not give straight playable instruments too? Legato transitions are recorded as well.

Maybe they will do a Pro version in future.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Valves Pro is available. Big update.

__

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Big indeed. Great walkthough from Ruben - there's an awful lot of ground to cover. Feels exhaustive and a little exhausting even. I like the intimate nature of the sound, feels nicely human. Some quite wlld articulations in there, including percussive and breaths. It looks well conceived UI/UX-wise with the different core instruments to choose how you work with it.

I do hear telltale bumps in velocity transition on the basic solo instruments (you can hear it clearly at 5.00ish). You can probably program your way around it with the huge number of articulations.

When people criticise NI - they do, frequently - they overlook stuff like this. Valves Pro looks and sounds extremely impressive.