There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

sonicPlanet's "Creation" / sound design

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

sonicPlanet's "Creation" / sound design

Post by Piet De Ridder »

If you’re into creative/experimental sound design and you're not put off by marketing blurb like “The user gains an architect's role by creating dialogues in a 3D simulation scene based on gravitational interaction. A force which is responsible of the macro-formal evolution of our universe”, you might wanna look at sonicPlanet’s Creation, an advanced piece of software that “calculates the gravitational interaction between up to 999 objects and 5 masses and renders the cumulative sound from this dynamically evolving space data (an operation of CPU + GPU). Realistic 3D visuals, GPU utilization for fast dynamic motion calculation with precision, and the sound is the result of this interaction.”

Best thing to do if you’re interested, it seems to me, is to watch some videos and get some idea of what’s possible with Creation:

Couldn't find a link for a demo version, otherwise I might have given this a try.
The price is 89€ — which seems reasonable — but you need a pretty powerful machine: for OS X, a minimum Apple M1 or equivalent and higher. For Windows: Intel 10th Gen i5 or higher, AMD Ryzen5 4500 or higher.

_

Tanuj Tiku

Re: sonicPlanet's "Creation" / sound design

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

I watched a couple of the videos you posted Piet - looks similar to 'Dust' from Soundmorph. I was not taken by the sound of it but I will revisit again sometime later. Looks like a useful tool for generative sounds that you can then integrate into a piece of music.

Took me back to the days when I used to mess around with GRM tools at university. I like such tools but fidelity and something logical to grasp is very important. The people behind Soundmorph are magicians! The fidelity in something like TimeFlux and Dust is very good.

There is also infiltrator from devious machines and again, the processing is insanely good.

With limited time at hand, I now look to get tools that can build somewhat on my existing understanding of things unless something new comes along that blows my mind and then I must invest time to learn it!

A while back I got some reaktor ensembles from Blinksonik and while they are very useful and unique sounding, it was a nightmare to try and understand what was going on most of the time. The best solution I found was to record an hour of noodling on it for sound sources and then try to use integrate it into a project.

Sometimes it becomes very complicated when trying to augment otherwise 'tonal' music where some harmonic clashes sound rather painful.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

man oh man do I have serious regrets about installing the demo for Dust... addictive, and remarkably powerful, I had a blast! But I have no possible rational for making that purchase - pity! I remember reading about Infiltrator, but it is, again, somewhat unrealistic. For that matter, so too is Creation, but it looks like quite the bang for the buck... eventually...

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Jan 22, 2023 6:28 amIf you’re into creative/experimental sound design and you're not put off by marketing blurb like “The user gains an architect's role by creating dialogues in a 3D simulation scene based on gravitational interaction. A force which is responsible of the macro-formal evolution of our universe”
Wow. That’s 8dio squared bullshit.

Okay, some cool sounds, but without a demo or a hint of an explanation of how it works and how you work with it, I’m staying on the sidelines. Tomofon had some really interesting sounds in the video demos, but it was only when I played the demo for a while I realised everything sounded a) samey and b) horrible.

If they don’t do it themselves, hopefully someone will come along with an actual walkthrough.

lofi

Post by lofi »

https://www.sonic-lab.com/pricingpurchase/

DEMO licences : You can submit a 7 day fully functional demo request at support (at) sonic-lab (dot) com.
Please add your iLOK account ID, and we will deposit your demo licences on it.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

lofi wrote: Jan 22, 2023 2:07 pm https://www.sonic-lab.com/pricingpurchase/

DEMO licences : You can submit a 7 day fully functional demo request at support (at) sonic-lab (dot) com.
Please add your iLOK account ID, and we will deposit your demo licences on it.
Thanks lofi, good to know - I'll wait for some other first hand experiences or tutorials, and if they're promising I might give it a whirl.