There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Orchestral Tools / Benjamin Wallfish Strings

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Orchestral Tools / Benjamin Wallfish Strings

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Orchestral Tools have released Benjamin Wallfish Strings, a massive strings library in two parts (1) the Strings (cinematic ensembles and divisi) and (2) Stringscapes ("equal parts string performances and multi-layered sound-design"). The Strings require 1072gig of HD space, the Scapes need another 129gig.
Introduction price for the bundle is €699 (reg. price 899), the Strings can be purchased separately for 599€ (regular price €799) and the Stringscapes are introduced at 179€ (reg. price: €249). These intro offers end January 2nd, 2024.

_

GR Baumann

Re: Orchestral Tools / Benjamin Wallfish Strings

Post by GR Baumann »

Not sure if I get that wrong, but the "Contemporary string textures and effects" provides 79 patches of those. Creating your own from the material on offer, is that possible? I did not watch the entre walkthrough looks like they are showcasing the patches.

Sound is excellent to my ears. I know not much about all these libraries, is that groundbreaking stuff or another textures and effects with another big name attached? I am not cynical here, I honestly don't know.

artinro

Post by artinro »

To be honest, not hearing anything in here that I can't do as well or better with libraries I've had for a while. The non-looped and up/down bow sustains & legato don't seem to add much to me...more of a solution in search of a problem than anything that really pushes the bar. Transitions themselves are ok to fine, but nothing to boast about. Skipping all but the sustains/leg on the divisi sections is also a curious omission. Would have far preferred those to the 18 or so mics we got.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I'll give it a proper listen tomorrow on the Adams, I've only been able to use the laptop. The overall tone sounded pretty harsh and strident in the highs, though the shorts sounded like they had real bite and character.

But sheesh - very basic articulation list. The divisis are only on the longs apparently. Not convinced the very long sustains are a good idea.

So this is all good news for me, I'm always delighted when I can rapidly lose interest in another string library.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Guy Rowland wrote: Dec 14, 2023 3:17 pm I'll give it a proper listen tomorrow on the Adams, I've only been able to use the laptop. The overall tone sounded pretty harsh and strident in the highs, though the shorts sounded like they had real bite and character.
Turns out that Macbook speakers aren't as good as Adam A7xs. Who knew? It's nowhere near as harsh as I first thought up the top. Listening to more of the walkthrough there's a lot to like, although it's not without other flaws with the odd bump or click here and there. The lows sound really nice and the dynamic range sounds excellent - the two dynamic extremes are probably the most impressive. Those shorts - the flighty low dynamic spiccatos, those digging high dynamic marcatos are real high points.

The limited articulations are a problem though. No port, never mind my beloved glisses. No separate control of vibrato that I can see, though it tracks fairly naturally with velocity. I honestly can't hear any benefit to the upbow and downbow legatos.

All in all it is, I humbly suggest, Another String Library.

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

Very very fine near fields you have there!