There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

NSC / The Goodwin Black Kit

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

NSC / The Goodwin Black Kit

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Getting most sampled drums to sit convincingly in an orchestral mix is incredibly difficult, because apart from good samples, you also need great processing tools and the skills to work with them, if you want to get strong sounding and believable results.
Things become a lot easier if the drums were sampled in a big enough place to begin with. OrchestralTools’ Metropolis includes such a kit, the Gardeschuetzen, as does Cinesamples CinePercussion.

Now there’s a third, and much cheaper choice: the Goodwin Black from Nashville Sampling. Nothing in either of those names that suggests anything orchestral, but if you listen to this track, you’ll hear that it works:

Not exactly my kind of music nor my kind of drumsound, but I do hear that, for this type of music, this is the right sort of drum sound. And disregarding any personal preferences, there’s no denying either that this is a very solid sounding kit.

But ... there’s a lot more to the Goodwin black than massive, epic banging. It’s also capable of things like this:

And all of that for ... a measely $49!

More info, videos and demo’s here.

_