There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Here we go Spectrasonics.

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
woodsdenis

Here we go Spectrasonics.

Post by woodsdenis »

Thanks, Denis

Cubase 10.5, Live 10, Mac Pro 10.14.6

The Saxer

Re: Here we go Spectrasonics.

Post by The Saxer »

Looks expensive :-)

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

The hint Eric dropped in that Skippy video at the start of the year is that they would release something, but it won't be "what people are expecting". People are expecting Stylus 2 / Stylus Superseded ... might this be hardware, even?

Looks expensive.

jneebz

Post by jneebz »

And then there was that little nugget from Tech Support....hmmm....

http://thesoundboard.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=373
:: osx sierra :: cubase :: uad :: focal :: http://www.eightwavemusic.com ::

riffwraith

Post by riffwraith »

One 'Looks expensive' comment makes me think sarcasm (which is cool, of course), but two makes me think that my eyes and brain are missing something... :/

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Nah, nothing to miss Riff....

Here was yesterday's tease, repeating what Eric said in Jan:

kpc

Post by kpc »

Seems to put the nail in RMX's coffin, doesn't it?
- kayle

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

You mean the idea that it's never going to be updated?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I've no doubt stylus will get updated before 2525, but won't be now, will it? I do wonder if it will be an Omni app, you know. Not a control app, but an actual pared-down synth for iOS. Would be dull for me personally, but I guess it would sell.

kpc

Post by kpc »

Lawrence wrote:You mean the idea that it's never going to be updated?
Feels that way to me.
- kayle

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

"10 years in the making" says the Spectrasonics website with 2 days to go. That counts out an Onni app I think, hoo-bloody ray. My current best guess is a new guitar vst, followed by a non-loop-based beats / pattern generator. Fun game, this.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Hardware controller with everything Spectrasonics in it including some new software. Possible partnership with Roland.

There. I'm in.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Marius

Post by Marius »

Lawrence wrote:Hardware controller with everything Spectrasonics in it including some new software. Possible partnership with Roland.

There. I'm in.
I actually had the same thought. Roland is really going full tilt these days...new products, new partnerships, the Boutique line, Roland Cloud (which seems like it'll be going up against EW's cloud)...
Marius Masalar | http://mariusmasalar.me

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

10 years in the making ... It must be BIG !

Could it be an Orchestral Library, with their own Sample Player ?

This will be super far out if it happens to be what they have been doing. I mean 10 years to spend on another Synth, or Rhythm tool sounds a bit of an over kill. That's why I'm thinking it might be a top notch Orch. Library. But then again ... It's just a very wild guess.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I bought Eric's first orchestral library, done for Roland, initially used in the 700 series and subsequently used in all of their hardware. Considering the technical limitations of that time period it was outstanding, but I just don't think he's going to do it all again-plus I feel sure it would have leaked.

I also believe the market has become saturated. There are too many good products, and I dunno if anyone's noticed, but suddenly everything's always on sale.

L.J. Nachsin

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Lawrence wrote:I bought Eric's first orchestral library, done for Roland, initially used in the 700 series and subsequently used in all of their hardware. Considering the technical limitations of that time period it was outstanding, but I just don't think he's going to do it all again-plus I feel sure it would have leaked.

I also believe the market has become saturated. There are too many good products, and I dunno if anyone's noticed, but suddenly everything's always on sale.
So, 10 years to build another sound design tool ? or Effects Rack ? or Rhythm-Generator ? ... Kind of far out if it takes them that long to develop this type of products. but everything is possible. I also agree that if they were developing an Orchestral Library, something about it might have leaked .. but then they are good at guarding their work. So, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be an Orch. Library.

riffwraith

Post by riffwraith »

Lawrence wrote:I bought Eric's first orchestral library, done for Roland, initially used in the 700 series and subsequently used in all of their hardware. Considering the technical limitations of that time period it was outstanding, but I just don't think he's going to do it all again-plus I feel sure it would have leaked.
Yeah, I don't see Eric doing a full-blown orch lib. That's not what Spectrasonics is.

Could be an all-in one jammie, like 1 part bass/guitars, 1 part perc (ala Stylus), 1 part synth, 1 part "other" (ala Heavyocity) and so on, with a native sample player that beats the living daylights out of Omni.

We shall see....

Mike Greene

Post by Mike Greene »

The "10 years" hint gave it away. Spectrasonics is going to release Play Pro.

Tatu

Post by Tatu »

Mike Greene wrote:The "10 years" hint gave it away. Spectrasonics is going to release Play Pro.
:P :D

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Mike Greene wrote:The "10 years" hint gave it away. Spectrasonics is going to release Play Pro.
With Forbidden Planet thrown in!

I agree that orchestral ensembles would be very very unlikely. Solo strings not impossible though. Something hardware with Roland would be interesting, as would some modelling hybrid Diego Stocco type affair. Guitars is still my most-likely - it's the most logical choice in terms of their history and overall ethos. If I could choose though - either a beats-all-comers controller that is genuinely useful for synth programming, or an RMX-free rhythm station.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Or maybe, just maybe, a serious Kontakt competitor with scads of libraries already available?

L.J. Nachsin

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Ah, apparently not hardware of any kind. You get one more guess, Larry.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I already hedged my bets, Guy ;)

L.J. Nachsin

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lawrence wrote:I already hedged my bets, Guy ;)
Oh so you did. Interesting... I hadn't really considered a full blown sampler. Somehow I think not, but it's an interesting idea...

Mike Greene

Post by Mike Greene »

I think a lot of companies (including me) are a little nervous about what exactly is going to be announced. NI doesn't want to hear that Spectrasonics is building a sampler. No DAW company wants to hear that Spectrasonics is entering their game. And sample library developers don't want to hear that Spectrasonics has spent 10 years doing something that might be exactly what that boutique developer has been specializing in.

So all I have to say is . . . please don't be vocals, please don't be vocals, please don't be vocals . . .