There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Impact Sound Works / 'Django' Gypsy Jazz Guitar

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Impact Sound Works / 'Django' Gypsy Jazz Guitar

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Coming September 15th: Impact Sound Works' Django Gypsy Jazz Guitar. Judging by the video below, it sounds like they've done a pretty good job sampling the timbre and character of this type of guitar.

The library seems to be spread over two packages: Lead ($99) and Rhythm ($79), with the two bundled together priced at $149.

_

wst3

Re: Impact Sound Works / 'Django' Gypsy Jazz Guitar

Post by wst3 »

can't count the hours I've spent listening to Gypsy Jazz, and especially Django Reinhardt and Stéphane Grappelli - I've managed to steal a lick or two, but it really is a specialty! One of my former teachers had a Selmer Maccaferri, it was an amazing instrument, probably the most remarkable aspect being the very distinct sound... it sounded gypsy even when I played it<G>!

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I think it sounds awesome. I am a big fan of Impact and Andrew A.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Scoredog

Post by Scoredog »

This is a good sounding VI and I am a part time working Gypsy Jazz guitarist.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Post something, will you Craig? I'd love to hear you play the style!
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Farkle

Post by Farkle »

I'm torn. I'm great friends with both Craig and Andrew. As a friend of Andrew, I'm always impressed with his company's offerings, and his latest is a really strong VST sample lib that can really put down a good rendition of gypsy jazz (no mean feat).

However, I've also (skype) jammed with Craig, with me stumbling through Gypsy Jazz, and Craig's chops are phenom, period. Playing with him reminds me of how great it is to have a live jazz cat doing his thing. No sample lib will ever replace that.

So, props to Andrew for an excellent library. And, props to Craig for showing me that live still wins, every time. :)

Mike
Mike Worth

Scoredog

Post by Scoredog »

Lawrence wrote:Post something, will you Craig? I'd love to hear you play the style!
Here you go

The band I am in is called The Idiomatiques...

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Lovely! Just lovely! Found you on Spotify as well!

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Great stuff, Craig-nice work!

L.J. Nachsin

Farkle

Post by Farkle »

Bit of a change of topic, but also check out Craig's album, Outside In. It's a great groove jazz album, my wife and I put it on when we go out to the porch for the afternoon relaxation. It's a great album to unwind to.
Mike Worth

Scoredog

Post by Scoredog »

Thanks guys!

back on topic

I'm a bit torn about this I guess in the way string players probably did not like when samples came out but there are few Gypsy Jazz sessions to begin with anyway and this certainly will make people, at least composers more aware of the genre. I'd say don't get because it does not sound good but I'd be lying, except for a few fast lines where you could hear the samples the tone and inflection were very good. Probably the most important thing is the La Pompe which is the rhythm and is surprisingly difficult for guitarists not in tune to the genre to get right. As an accomplished guitarist it took me 4 months to kind of get it. The rhythm part on the outro part sounded spot on. If I were not a GJ player I'd get just for that and even being one, being a composer first it is tempting just for connivence to just get it for that.

I'd be curious to what extent the rhythm was sampled....that's most important.