There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Vengeance Producer Suite - Avenger synth [1.3.1 FM cross modulation out now]

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Erik

Re: Vengeance Producer Suite - Avenger synth [1.3.1 FM cross modulation out now]

Post by Erik »

YEs, I like Massive a lot, I mean programming it.
I concure with you Guy, about Repro 1 not being that easy - the modulation section. Avenger and Omni have really something to say in the GUI department, for sure :-)
"I'm using more black notes now and there are a lot of chords in the last album, too" Vince Clarke -1986

Jaap

Re: Vengeance Producer Suite - Avenger synth [1.3.1 FM cross modulation out now]

Post by Jaap »

Just going through the videos based on your enthousiams Guy (didn't see this topic before) and bloody mary on high heels, this is one amazing beast! Think I might dive into this and probably replace my Serum with this. Looks like he thought of basically everything. Amazing and I can hear the sonic possibilities now to make it work beyond the whole EDM stuff.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I think all you need to stop it being EDM is turn off the default reverb and delay - that's it! It is incredibly versatile. Really all I'd like is a nice self-oscillating analogue filter. I agree they have pretty much thought of everything else, from synthesis options to the ease with which you can publish expansions.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

Jaap wrote: Feb 15, 2018 5:43 am Diving into it right now!
guy please tell me you've tied a rope to him... he's a big fan of ocean themes - but that doesn't mean we should let him drown

:ooo:

well Jaap, if I stop seeing bubbles I'm diving in after you

Jaap

Post by Jaap »

KyleJudkins wrote: Feb 18, 2018 3:49 am
Jaap wrote: Feb 15, 2018 5:43 am Diving into it right now!
guy please tell me you've tied a rope to him... he's a big fan of ocean themes - but that doesn't mean we should let him drown

:ooo:

well Jaap, if I stop seeing bubbles I'm diving in after you
:D

catsass

Post by catsass »

Currently 20% off. I think I'm going to take the plunge. Thanks for all of the great info, Guy!

It would appear a new cinematic flavored expansion pack (by Kevin Schroeder) is also available. 20% off as well.

Scoredog

Post by Scoredog »

Got it, there is some similarity between this and stock Avenger...at 56 bucks on sale, probably worth it if you like this type of hybrid sound, sort of EDM cinematic, some very nice impacts and few other goodies. Nice addition but at least for me not a must have.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Scoredog wrote: Apr 01, 2018 12:19 am Got it, there is some similarity between this and stock Avenger...at 56 bucks on sale, probably worth it if you like this type of hybrid sound, sort of EDM cinematic, some very nice impacts and few other goodies. Nice addition but at least for me not a must have.
A belated thanks for this feedback. I'd been umming and ahhing over it - sort of nice to have, but I feel I have so much of that covered in other plugs so your comments pulled me back from the brink.

On a whim I got Simon Stockhausen's Panopticon the other day in the Easter sale, and that was pretty good. I mean, I re-categorized everything, but I'm me so I would. I think he's the best 3rd Party sound designer working on Avenger at the moment, he seems to have a particular flair for organic evolving stuff. Here's a couple of patch demos that show the control he puts into one patch:

catsass

Post by catsass »

Guy Rowland wrote: Apr 01, 2018 12:43 pm On a whim I got Simon Stockhausen's Panopticon the other day in the Easter sale, and that was pretty good. I mean, I re-categorized everything, but I'm me so I would. I think he's the best 3rd Party sound designer working on Avenger at the moment, he seems to have a particular flair for organic evolving stuff. Here's a couple of patch demos that show the control he puts into one patch:
Thanks for the tip on Panopticon.

I too ended up passing on the Cinematic 1 expansion. Far too much overlap in areas I feel I'm already well covered.

Oh, and there are some real gems in your sweet '16' - Danke schoen.

Jaap

Post by Jaap »

I actually bought the Cinematic 1 expansion as I heard a few sounds that I could immediatly use for something I had to make a quick turnaround for (the perfect excuse of course :D ), but its a well crafted expansion. Far better then the actual library, which is perfectly crafted, just not my style, but this one I found very useful.

catsass

Post by catsass »

I'm looking forward to the release of your Avenger expansion, Jaap.

Agreed on the factory library. Not enough EDM. :D Kidding, of course.

Jaap

Post by Jaap »

catsass wrote: Apr 01, 2018 1:45 pm I'm looking forward to the release of your Avenger expansion, Jaap.

Agreed on the factory library. Not enough EDM. :D Kidding, of course.
Haha thanks, well something is brewing here already for a while ;)

catsass

Post by catsass »

v1.3.5 has been released.
Changes:

- added new function for DRUM-SQ: "REVERSE SAMPLE". You can access it in the ROLL-MODE context. That will playback the sample reverse. The tempo anchor point is the Step next to, where the arrow will point at.
- added Shape for a MOD entry / slot in the MOD MATRIX. With that function you can additionally shape the modulation value before if modifies the target.
- added new LFO Parameter: "Synced Mod." When this is turned on, rate changes via modulation will be synced to your Song BPM, meant it will switch the Rate only at full cycle values to stay in sync. So a 32th to 8th wobble will always sound tight in your mix.
- added "CLEAR" button to DrumSQ. Clears all notes.
- added UNDO for preset load. If you accidentally load a preset, you can undo this.
- added COPY/PASTE for FX settings, now you can copy FX specific settings from one instance of an insert FX to another instance.
- added ENDLESS BASS Mode playing the octaves from the ARP. Endless Bass Mode also only takes 1/1 voice now in the Voices page / global voice limit.
- added ARP shuffle is now working correct on pattern lengths that are not related to 4/4 (esp. odd pattern lengths, i.e. length 9 or length 7).
- added KEYTRACK to insert FX: Filter. Good if you want to use the new Comb filter for example on the master sum or an effect bus.
- added visual feedback for inner dials (i.e. OSC PAN, Noise color etc...).
- added visual feedback for the OSC's HP/LP Filter bar.
- added phase-lock for OSC Noise, very handy for static attack-noises (Drum sound design).
- added OSC-endless bass mode as mod target.
- added: quick assign drum slots to aux or specific FX bus. Now you can route all AUX Outputs with 1 click.
- changed: loading a ModEnv preset does not change the trigger-mode anymore.
- changed: preset search->added VARIOUS folder to author context where authors with less than 10 presets are listed.
- fixed issue with solo-ed sample stacker after loading a new sample to a stacker slot where all slots were audible again.
- fixed DrumSQ. leftClick + CNTRL to move the event free from the BPM-grid. Was working before but the note had to be selected first - now its easier to use. Great for Humanized Drum patterns.
- fixed drum kit route gain-slider.
- fixed a issue in AAX format where not all AUX outputs were processed correct.
- fixed an issue with resample/wavetable beat selector which was working only for OSC1.
- fixed wandering crossFM attack sound.
- fixed StepSQ clicks in stereo mode when stereo width is not 100%.
- fixed an issue where granular-env position-dot did display the position of OSC1 even if OSC2 was selected.
- fixed an issue where custom-samples was not stored correct in the sample-stacker.
- fixed an issue with insert FX Filter "inertia". Now the insert FX: Filter is much faster for modulations.
- fixed an issue with Arp clock mode "first note" and play with multiple patterns where the arp did start at pattern A but B should have been already reached.
- fixed an issue in the mod matrix. modulating the strength of an slot using a per-voice-source where the target of the modulated slot is not per-voice.
- fixed: changing StepSQ state and stepSQ module on multiple-selected drumSlots does not work.
- fixed: mod-matrix slot strength modulation "bar" showed wrong value if mod add was used to modulate the strength.
- fixed: granular-envelope speed mode was not saved/loaded correct.
- fixed: crash when removing ARP1 after ARP2 was created.
- fixed a scrolling issue, when adding a new target/source to a quite full modmatrix.
- fixed retriggering voices on chorder on/off and active legato.
VMAN: fixed: expansion not visible after downloading and importing it via VMAN.
VMAN: fixed: wrong folder for VMAN bitmap cache on MAC OS.
- tons of minor bug-fixes and improvements.

http://www.vengeance-sound.com/plugins. ... %20Avenger

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks for posting, catsass..
added UNDO for preset load. If you accidentally load a preset, you can undo this.
Oh, for all synths to have this!

I see 1.4.0 is next with some new Osc module, great to see the continued development.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

that sync mod feature looks like a headache saver if you do produce wobbles.

Arcana

Post by Arcana »

I got offered Avenger for even less than the sale price so couldn't turn it down.

Now, while the sale is on I thought I might grab an expansion or two. What are the must-haves?

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Panopticon is pretty good, a 3rd party bank. I’m vaguely tempted by 80s Synth Wave too.

Arcana

Post by Arcana »

I had a quick listen to Panopticon yesterday, a bit too pad/soundscape/drone focused for my liking.

The ones I had in mind first and foremost was 8-bit and Cinematic.
But I'm slightly interested in Effects:EDM, Retrowave and Future pop.

You don't have any 1st party expansions Guy?

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Arcana wrote: Jun 25, 2018 8:10 am I got offered Avenger for even less than the sale price so couldn't turn it down.

Now, while the sale is on I thought I might grab an expansion or two. What are the must-haves?
Arcana, did you buy it second hand or was there a site that offered it for less?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Arcana

Post by Arcana »

Lawrence wrote: Jun 25, 2018 1:12 pm
Arcana wrote: Jun 25, 2018 8:10 am I got offered Avenger for even less than the sale price so couldn't turn it down.

Arcana, did you buy it second hand or was there a site that offered it for less?
I got it 2nd hand on KVR.
Avenger pops up in the marketplace fairly often there.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Thanks!
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Arbee

Post by Arbee »

Based on the enthusiasm I've read here, I've watched and listened intently in an attempt to convince me that I need it. Love the workflow and I can see how well designed and intuitive it would be to use. Sonically though, it doesn't have me so excited, compared say with my Serum and Zebra that seem to ooze presence and character. I put Avenger sonically more in the NI space.

Does anyone else share or vigorously disagree with that view? Are there particular sounds Avenger excels in over other synths?

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Download the demo.-I did. I liked it but wasn’t convinced enough by the presets to buy it. If it ever goes at a half price sale, I might.

L.J. Nachsin