There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

VSL release Solo Violin 2 and Solo Cello 2

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Tanuj Tiku

VSL release Solo Violin 2 and Solo Cello 2

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

http://www.vsl.co.at/en/News/2016-11_Introductory_Offer

No demos or videos yet. And no talk of what is different in terms of technology or recordings, if any.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From VSL:
All Strings Attached

For the first time in the history of the Vienna Symphonic Library, we offer two new instruments in the Strings category that are available individually*. Both new products, Solo Violin 2 and Solo Cello 2, come as full-fledged Vienna Instruments like the ones included in Vienna’s Solo Strings I Collection, providing an extensive range of articulations.

* You may download Solo Cello 2 right away. Solo Violin 2 will be available within the next few days. For a more detailed product description please click on the corresponding product name or the instrument image shown above.

All-New Recordings

Both solo instruments were recorded exclusively at our own “Silent Stage” and offer an alternative or addition to the instruments included in the Solo Strings I Collection.

The violin was performed by Dimitrie J. Leivici, an acclaimed studio violinist who played on over 1,000 Hollywood movie scores (e.g., Indiana Jones, Titanic, Avatar) and who is concertmaster of the newly founded Synchron Stage Orchestra. The cello was played by chamber music virtuoso Florian Eggner, one third or the internationally renowned “Eggner Trio”, who is also one of the first-chair players of the Synchron Stage Orchestra.

The new instruments are the perfect choice if you’re looking for different timbres of the violin and the cello, e.g., for solo and chamber music instrumentations, or for a string quartet. Whether you’re a registered user of the Solo Strings I Collection or not – please have a look at our introductory offer below!

Piet De Ridder

Re: VSL release Solo Violin 2 and Solo Cello 2

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Jay Bacal’s done two demos for the cello, Tanuj.
Have to say: other than Jay’s commitment and musicianship, these demo’s don’t contain anything I like. The decision to choose the best virtual cello certainly hasn’t become any more difficult, if these demos are anything to go by (which I assume they are).
Actually, if I didn't know any better, and they'd tell me this was a modelled cello, I'd believe them. Something oddly synthetic, thin and dead about the instrument's timbre. (To my ears, that is.)

Williams / Memoirs of a Geisha
Brahms / Cello Sonata (Allegretto)

_

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Wow Piet, I find that an inexplicable critique based on those examples. Geisha sounded really excellent to me, Brahms not arf bad either. Your description matches exactly what I heard with the Sample Modelling viola in a way that made me want to rip my own ears off, but this has none of that deadness and artificiality for me.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

I was expecting the new Solo Cello 2 to sound much better, and more realistic, but it doesn't. I think the original Solo Cello sounds much better, and has more articulations. I don't get it. VSL is moving backwards instead of forwards with their Solo Cello.

Let's hope the Solo Violin 2 is a step forward.

I'm waiting to for the release of Chris Hein's Solo Cello, which is coming soon ! Chris Hein Solo Cello I have a feeling I'm going to love it. ;)

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Positively underwhelmed by this, unfortunately. There's something about that tone and some of those transitions that sounds quite artificial to my ears. Though I can't get myself to pull the trigger on either Emotional Cello or especially the Sample Modeling effort, for similar reasons. Chris Hein had a short snippet of his upcoming cello up a few days ago on VI, and while it won't be the last word on this, it did sound more alive and pleasing.

http://vi-control.net/community/threads ... 934/page-2

First third of the page.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Linos

Post by Linos »

Unfortunately I have to agree with the 'don't like'-camp. The Brahms-demo especially sounds as if filtered to my ears. Strangely that's true for the piano as well, so it might be something about the MIR-settings chosen. In any case I don't particularly like the tone of the cello. The one in the solo strings bundle is more to my liking.
The good thing about Jay doing these demos is, if you don't fully like the result you can be dead sure it is the library that doesn't convince you. Anyway, I hope in the future VSL will do a new solo strings library recorded in Synchron Stage.

Topic author
Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

I really hope that VSL is working on the next generation of sampled instruments. I think they might have made enough money over the years to warrant a long R&D into sampled instruments.

That being said, I think it is not very likely because as we have seen, VSL has been slowly expanding business in very different ways. They seem to be more interested in software development than sampled instruments.

Though, I like some bits of the Memoirs of a Geisha, largely it is more of the same. I have used VSL for years and I really can appreciate how much time Jay has put in to even get it to this level.

If VSL has nothing new to say through the samples, why do new ones at all. The old stuff works really well and as intended.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

I suppose those additional solo violin and Cello are not intended as a better version, rather as a compliment to get a distinct Violin 2 for string quartet writing. If they would have also provided a second Viola, you could even apply that to chamber settings, so the Cello doesn't make as much sense. Since I got the solo strings, for the price of 140€ I might buy those two, as it is very affordable and could be worth it for having a a violin 2.
I am pretty sure, they will use their new stage to make recordings there. It is probably hard to acknowledge that competition has caught up with you and the silence stage concept even with a software like MIR is proven inferior (although not without merits). But I am quite certain, VSL will see that in sales numbers, so, we will see those new kinds of products! I suppose, they already record stuff and will surprise people with a whole new orchestra, as soon as it's ready.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

In a way, I was surprised to see VSL release the Solo Violin 2 and Solo Cello 2. I was under the impression they are not developing any new Strings. So, (maybe) there might be a tiny bit of a chance left that they are going to surprise us again, with newer, and hopefully (sonically-improved) versions of their existing libraries (i.e. A New Generation of their Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, Perc.) to be more competitive with the current Kontakt based libraries. (i.e. Orchestral Tools, Spirfire Audio, Cinematic Studio, ...etc. ) , and with competitive pricing for owners of the current version owners, to make the upgrade path very attractive price wise.

playz123

Post by playz123 »

To be completely honest, I'm still struggling to find that perfect solo violin and solo cello. I have some of the products on the market, but every time I listen to demos or work with the libraries I've purchaed, it's either the tone or the 'playability' that can impact me in a slightly negative way. And when one then compares a library to an actual player in the room (and I don't mean the A:B demos that a couple of developers have made which can seem very impressive when viewed), my libraries seem even further from the mark.
Recently I watched some of the Spitfire video covering the recording of Christian's music for Tutankhamen, and was so moved by the tone of the orchestra. If I could just find a solo violin that evoked that warmth and magic I'd be happy. Same for the cello.
I see little use in adding many comments about which violin is currently working best for me, because it boils down to some will agree and some won't, and that gets us nowhere. I guess I do like some of programming things Chris Hein has done and some of the Sacconi or Bohemian efforts, but as for this latest VSL effort...well I'll leave it to others to decide. The demos haven't encouraged me to buy it.
Frank E. Lancaster

Hannes_F

Post by Hannes_F »

@Frank I am glad you are hearing the difference.
Traveller in boundlessness, at home in the Now
http://www.strings-on-demand.com

JBacal

Post by JBacal »

Hi Guys and Gals,

I just found out about this forum and joined. :)

I wanted to caution those who reacted negatively to the tone of the new VSL cello that my mixing skills are debatable. My choice of reverb, EQ settings and even the use of a low pass filter to occasionally shape the phrases all effect the tone and color of the cello. So if you dislike the tone of the cello but like the expression and musicality of the demos, then I encourage you to listen to more demos by other people before hardening your opinion of the new cello's tone. With VSL, the tone is remarkably malleable and can be changed dramatically (for the better or for the worse) by the skills and post production choices of the user.

Best wishes,
Jay

Marius

Post by Marius »

Unrelated to the topic, but: welcome, Jay! Wonderful to see you here. :)
Marius Masalar | http://mariusmasalar.me

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

I'm still trying to guess what was the main reason for releasing the new Solo Violin 2 and Cello 2 ?

Were they requested by users ? or does VSL see a need for offering a new flavor of these instruments ? and is this something they have planned for their current lineup of Strings, Woods, Brass ? which offer new sonic characteristics (i.e. should we expect new Appassionata Strings 2 (which is what I feel would be great), ...and other new version of current libraries ?

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Indeed, Marius-Jay, nice to have someone with your skills here. Welcome!
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Arbee

Post by Arbee »

My personal suspicion, which of course may be way off, is that VSL are experimenting behind the scenes, and these are released as part of that experiment. I'm kind of on the fence with both instruments. While I quite like the sound of them they don't blow me away, and I don't have a compelling need for them. And yes, great to see you here Jay!

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Muziksculp wrote:Hi,

I'm still trying to guess what was the main reason for releasing the new Solo Violin 2 and Cello 2 ?

Were they requested by users ? or does VSL see a need for offering a new flavor of these instruments ? and is this something they have planned for their current lineup of Strings, Woods, Brass ? which offer new sonic characteristics (i.e. should we expect new Appassionata Strings 2 (which is what I feel would be great), ...and other new version of current libraries ?

Cheers,
Muziksculp
VSL May just be offering more colors/choices, which also means a larger catalog for them to sell.

I find it humorous that if these demos/instruments were released a year ago, there would have been many eager to pick this up. Now it's just one of many choices, who all have their positives and negatives. To me the mix and tone of these sound very good, but now we listen for the faintest hint of synthetic quality, which of course few listeners would hear (but I can make out what Piet is hearing).

It just comes down to what tone/features work for you. I'm learning to keep my mouth shut on my own preferences though, as my opinions seem to vary greatly from most people here and at VI. I guess working as a composer from a mixers perspective and having mixed many other composer's works (with real players and virtual) I've built up a much more subjective opinion. Personal taste and how you use it will probably determine purchases in the future.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

X-bassist wrote:I'm learning to keep my mouth shut on my own preferences though, as my opinions seem to vary greatly from most people here and at VI.
Please, please don't. There are some stupendously good ears here and I really pay extra attention to what they say. But our tools are personal things, we may respond to them quite differently from someone else who is highly talented, and it needn't make us wrong. Every brain-hand combo here is totally unique (never mind our ears), and will respond to one product more than other accordingly. Also our end needs might well be totally different as well.

While it's a fallacy that all opinions of everyone on earth are equal, the opposite that only some voices should be listened to is equally untrue imo. Bring on the iconoclasts.