There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Toontrack Superior Drummer 3

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

KyleJudkins

Re: Toontrack Superior Drummer 3

Post by KyleJudkins »

I figured out exactly why mapping wasn't working

mainly that mapping=remapping, and you have to have something mapped already to remap it i.e. I can't just bind instrument 2 bow shank to 112 in the midi/edrum menu, I need it already bound.

some of the triggers were backwards for me, like snare(not sure why) and I still don't have sidestick functioning well(it would mute the snare if I got any low velocity bleed on rim shots, and likewise I like a little bit of snare coming through when I side stick, since without it it since to sound like you're just hitting a wood block. That said I'm thinking the bar trigger I use for my side stick is a little stubborn. I partially solve the problem by simply adding another instrument using the same snare and leaving the main snares side stick Unbound. It seems to be working, I just can't reliably get side stick louder than the low velocities of the snare, so I'm forced to use it less like I'm playing side steak and more like I'm just hitting a pad on the side of my snare

Which is odd because my other bar triggers that I got at the same time I have on one of my floor tom and it works really well, despite the fact that I hammer into my floor tom a lot more than I do my snare

yeah as far as the kit goes, having an acoustic kit won't work long term, so I went hard into debt in order to find a worthy replacement. Extremely happy with this thing, which is pretty impressive considering the buyer's remorse for something you've dumped 15K into to replace something you dumped 3K into usually leaves a bad taste in your mouth especially when it's for your girlfriend

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Glad you got it more or less sorted Kyle. Have you tried the Drum Replacer part of the software btw? I haven't, but I hear its very good.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

Guy Rowland wrote:Glad you got it more or less sorted Kyle. Have you tried the Drum Replacer part of the software btw? I haven't, but I hear its very good.
I don't really have acoustic drums anymore, so no idea

awkwardly - I did a little test playing around with this broken bow and a balalaika my mom had picked up years ago at a garage sale(she bought it for decoration, then just added it to her horde pile)

I was lazy, used my vocal mic to record everything - and tried to record my old kick drum(which was being muted by a fan sitting on the head) using sticks near the port hole(that was the part exposed) and after some EQ and a little reverb it sounds triggered and fake hahaha

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5rqjw3psfe82 ... N.mp3?dl=0

strings: Uke, Balalaika, Balalaika Bowed, Melodica
Percussion: hand drumming on the uke, balalaika, sticks on my bass drum, and hand drumming my desk(lol)

strangley enough, the bass drum sounds triggered and fake

somehow more so than my actual Vdrums. Go figure.

ohh well, I need to get my other mics from storage(I don't want to say that too loud around my rode nt1)

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

I think you're being a bit too harsh, that didn't sound that bad at all to me.
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

EvilDragon wrote:I think you're being a bit too harsh, that didn't sound that bad at all to me.
I just think its weird it sounds more sampled than sampled to my ears

probably because the mic is terrible for it - so I had to add some bass that wasn't there

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks again Kyle!

Meanwhile V3.0.3 is out, a ton of stuff. Have boldened my instant favourite:

New:

MIDI In/Out indicators have been added.
A mono setting for Cubase has been added (32 mono out instead of 16 stereo).
You can now choose how many CPU cores Superior Drummer 3 should use (in Settings > Performance).
A setting has been added for opening Macro Controls every time a preset with active controls is loaded.
The "Add Instrument" menu now also contains user instruments.
The "Show" menu now also contains "MIDI Mapping Keys.".
MIDI Mapping Keys visibility is now saved in Properties View presets.
Dropping an external MIDI file on the track now gives the option to apply the e-drum transform to it.
Recording aftertouch is now supported.
CC-controlled hi-hats and snares can now activate stacks of individual articulations.
The number of macro controls shown at the same time can now be more than 5, depending on the window width.
The mouse pointer now shows a plus sign during copy-drag in the grid editor and the mixer.
Tracker: 1/1, 1/2 and 1/2 Triplet have been added to the Select menu.
The grid editor now shows flashing dots when notes are played.
A "not loaded" indicator has been added to MIDI Mapping Keys.
While dragging, you can now open the Song Creator or switch to the Grooves tab by hovering over the button or the tab, respectively.
The active library preset is now shown with an asterisk if changes have been made.
The active e-drum preset (in Settings) is now shown with an asterisk if changes have been made.
The mixer can now autoscroll when effects or sends are dragged.
The Grooves browser can now autoscroll when files are dragged to User MIDI.
A new e-drum hi-hat pedal preset which closes at 90 has been added - good for some Roland modules.
The velocity curve editor now shows incoming MIDI notes and how they are affected.

Changes:

E-drum settings are now saved in projects, but menu options have been added to load the default settings (from the default project, or global e-drum settings in 3.0.2 or earlier).
Moving the playhead in the DAW without playing now moves the song track playhead if Follow Host is on.
MIDI file division on external drags is now 9600 instead of 960.
An "all bleed" bounce through the mixer no longer adds bleed to silent room mics.
Tooltip improvements.
Many undo events have got better names.
Tight and closed settings in e-drums are now better kept when you switch between different number of opennesses (by loading a different hi-hat).
Whenever another instance locks us out from accessing the database, a dialog that says "Waiting for another instance of Superior 3 to finish" is shown.
Dragging out a single song block from the song track now gives it the name of the block type.
Loading a part of a preset no longer changes which preset is shown as the currently loaded one.
Track zoom level is now saved in projects.
"Search with Tags" can now be used on MIDI files that don't exist in the database.
MIDI files dragged from the Grooves browser out from Superior now contain the browser path of the file - can be seen in DAWs.
Articulations that contain no sound on their own are now greyed out and disabled in the drum articulations list.
An outline is now shown for the send box that is being dragged.
Multiple selected user-added mixer channels can now be removed at once with "Remove Channels" in their menus.
In percussion pads, remapping of other articulations than the first is no longer allowed.
"Superior Drummer 3 Percussion" and "Superior Drummer 3 Electronic Sounds" can no longer be added in Settings > Libraries.
Tracker: When adding hits, snap to transients snaps to all transients over the default velocity threshold instead of using the current value.
Tracker: Preview of transient now starts earlier and captures more of the note.
Tracker: Pressing the stop button in the Tracker now moves the playhead in the same way as in the song track in the other tabs.
A custom loop area can now be set even when 'Always loop selected' is on.
When recording notes (on the song track or Tap2Find) and clicking an unmapped articulation, the next MIDI-mapped articulation will be recorded instead.
Resetting a peak level in the mixer no longer selects the channel.

Fixes:

Favorites in Grooves were not properly remembered when the database was rebuilt.
Starting multiple instances at the same time when the instrument database was being created for the first time caused a crash.
MIDI playback is now sample accurate even when tempo changes occur within buffers.
Loading a project with more visible filter columns than the current project could cause a crash.
Various tempo editor fixes.
Browser history fixes.
Running multiple instances of Superior Drummer 3 could cause one or more of them to incorrectly show "database loading" in Grooves.
In web shop MIDI, searching for only online libraries was broken.
The quantize knob was not updated when a new row was selected in the grid editor.
The track length dialog could end up outside the main window.
A fix for song track copy drag on Mac (when dragging out from the window and back in).
Having loaded a broken library and pressing a keyboard shortcut caused a crash.
Fix for a crash when changing between EZX presets in Pro Tools.
Exported/dragged MIDI files did not always contain correct tempo (s) and time signature (s).
Pressing Cmd/Ctrl+C when no block was selected on the song track could cause a crash.
Tracker: The Split Region tool ignored the Snap settings.
It no longer crashes in Search for Instruments if instrument graphics cannot be loaded.
Selecting a library that needs to be updated (yielding no graphics) no longer brings back the graphics if scaling is changed.
External windows in full screen should no longer overlap the taskbar in Windows.
"Show in Browser" on files not in the database but existing on disk now shows the files in Finder/Explorer.
Having a user preset selected with the same name as a factory preset no longer selects the factory preset when reloading the project.
Tracker now gets the hi-hat note from the current mapping instead of hardcoded.
Total memory (displayed) no longer resets at 16 GB.
Channel effect presets are now saved as mixer undo.
Tracker: Fixed a graphical update issue when the ruler format was changed.
Fixed a graphical issue when undoing turning articulations on/off.
Some potential crashes when scanning corrupt sound libraries have been fixed.
MIDI Learn now ignores jitter from MIDI controls.
CC-controlled articulations can now be MIDI learned.
Aftertouch messages should no longer in some cases end up reaching the wrong drum.
Replacing a drum where all articulations are unloaded no longer shows a "library is broken" dialog.
Tracker: Shift click on the track but outside any region could cause a crash.
When dragging a new loop to the track and importing tempo, the tempos before and after are better kept.
When playing the song track in Fruity Loops, notes should no longer sometimes be missed.
The tempo is now updated correctly when changing, adding and removing song tracks.
If you cleared the loop inside Tap2Find and then cancelled, the loop could not be played outside of Tap2Find.
The position of song structure preset playback can now be set.
Tracker: Real time speed change is processed faster now.
Tracker: Looping should no longer cause triggered sound and original sound to become unsynched.
Mixer send box no longer gets stuck in mouse-over state if nothing is selected from the send menu.
Fixes for Tap2Find loop when changing mapping - lost quantization and could get wrong length.
Autoscroll did not work in the MIDI Mapping Keys view when dragging keys.
Superior Drummer 3 no longer scans for VSTs at startup and no longer crashes on Mac if you have UAD plug-ins installed.
Various text search field fixes.
Clicking on a hi-hat slider handle no longer moves it if the click is not exactly in the center.
Adding an offset in Tracker could retrigger detriggered transients.
Macro knobs with box properties are now saved and restored properly and continue to work after targeted drums have been changed.
Bounce now honors automation of mixer and its effects through MIDI CC-control, when present in the song track. (But parameter automation by the host cannot be recorded by the song track so that doesn't work when bouncing.).
Song track play start now resets sampler state for the benefit of cache mode.
Using a 1/32 time signature should no longer cause the grid editor to crash.
Tap2Find can search for sidestick again. Remapped drums and double kick MIDI also works.
Quantize in the grid editor now works again when you deselect the affected notes.
Fix for opening libraries from Mac-formatted disks using MacDrive software.
Looping in the browser could result in the first note flamming/phasing.
Fix for bleed edit in User Mics.
Fix for mixer meters when using very large buffer sizes (>2400).
Tracker: Failed attempts to allocate memory for loading large audio files should no longer cause a crash.
Tracker: Adding user transients should no longer make Snap to transients not work.
Tracker: Adding an event/transient could crash if a Tap2Find or Song Creator search was going on at the same time.
Possible crash fix when filtering incoming MIDI when running standalone.
Dragging a send over an output channel should no longer cause a crash.
Having old resource files (from a previous installation) could cause a crash at startup.
Crash fix for corrupt drum graphics.
Crash fix for switching between certain presets.
Removing a user mic from the mixer that is used as a side chain would cause a crash.
Having an e-drum transform active should no longer mess up the 'Learn' function in the MIDI Mapping box.
Tracker scrollbar graphics fix.
Fixes to transport controls when changing between Tracker and any other tab.
Choosing Reset in "Envelope and Offset" did not reset the offset.
Clicking Recall Solo/Mute in the mixer did not generate an undo event.
Recording parameters in a DAW in "touch" and "latch" modes should now work better.

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

What an awesome drop of an update! Go Toontrack!

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

jokes on me, I can't even read

The core allocation might be nice, but sometimes if I play real fast it starts to crap out and I honestly think it's just Ram

Mainly because both instances are using over 15gb and maybe it's loading a few articulations when they are needed kind of like kontakts DFD setting

I know I can go in and clean up unused articulations a little, I just assume it's a problem if it can be spread across multiple RAM sticks. I have 128gb, but it's in 16gb sticks.

edit: by real fast I mean 16th notes at like 240 plus, when I'm just recording. Maybe it was just quirky last night, I was fine playing the one kit but playing 2 instances at the same time would lock up if I went to crazy

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

It would more likely be your disk, rather than RAM, in that case.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

EvilDragon wrote:It would more likely be your disk, rather than RAM, in that case.
I just figured since each instance nearly fills an entire ram stick - it would just be boiling over

one of the reasons being, if I arm 2 kits, and play - even fast fills and stuff it has no problem - but that would be a far bigger load than hitting the same few... likewise, the only other thing on that drive(Samsung 850 evo) is my spitfire stuff, and the spitfire stuff being played/not being played at the same time doesn't seem to cause problems.

that said, I reopened the project this morning and it seems a little more responsive - maybe it was snagged up on something in my template, later on when I get on the kit and warm up a little I'll report back if it's still giving me problems.

it doesn't happen when I use only 1 instance, so I could track that way anyways(even though I'll likely track with the roland sounds for less latency)

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Computer doesn't care about the number of sticks of RAM you have. It's all one big pool of memory.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

EvilDragon wrote:Computer doesn't care about the number of sticks of RAM you have. It's all one big pool of memory.
hmm I wonder if I should just swap it back to the HDD setting then... might as well load as much as possible into ram. I'm not done adding to my template - but the big sections are already loaded and its only 90 something gigs ATM, the only big thing will end up being EWQL symphonic choirs.

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

HDD setting is worse than SSD - it loads more of stuff into RAM, because HDDs are slower than SSDs. But it also relaxes how often things are streamed, so yeah... I guess if you can afford the RAM load, go for it.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

EvilDragon wrote:HDD setting is worse than SSD - it loads more of stuff into RAM, because HDDs are slower than SSDs. But it also relaxes how often things are streamed, so yeah... I guess if you can afford the RAM load, go for it.
Ram is my middle name ;D really though, I have like 40 gigs free ATM, as long as I stick to 1 mic on symphonic choirs it should be A-O-K.

also, when are we going to battle it out? My license plate is [BAHAMUT] because its one of those things you do when you're 19. When you get in a petty argument about which diety is more paladin-like in the middle of a D&D campaign and the cleric of heironeous gets a bumper sticker to represent, you end up getting a custom plate to 1-up them. So my license plate for the last 10 years has been the platinum dragon, king of metallic(good aligned) dragons. Meanwhile you're representing his sister, mother of all chromatic(evil aligned) dragons - Tiamat. So Mario, prepare to meet your bowser - unhand me the ancient hammer of Croatian Kings - you cannot wield it's power.

also - I'm in dire need of caffeine, if it wasn't glaringly obvious.

edit: Stalkers welcome, just make sure you wipe your feet off outside before you sneak into my house.

catsass

Post by catsass »

Thanks for the heads up, Guy. What an update!

- Many undo events have got better names.

Say what?

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjah939dv7zac ... n.mp3?dl=0

another quick little test, going for a bigger ambient/almost arena level ambience. like it's mic'd up somewhere in the concert hall its self. its closer to the kind of stuff that would end up being on the album. Just a quick mix test, and this sound is a pretty processed metal sound.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Hmm, all is not well for me in Windows at SD3 3.0.3. The Box area on the RHS is now two columns instead of one with a large grey area below, and it's seemingly impossible to make it 1 as before.

MacBook Pro working normally - have posted on the Toontrack forum, curious to know if others are seeing this.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

bummer, haven't updated yet...

but I'm on a 48" 4k tv, so its not going to kill me

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

A quick reply from Toontrack - if you restrict the width, then the 2 columns become 1. I think this behaviour has changed, but only in windows, and that trigger point is needlessly narrow. For example, this is pointlessly ugly:

And yet making the window fractionally narrower makes it much more comfortable:

...and add to that it's harder to find your way around if the tabs are jumping around all over the place. Anyway request for modified behaviour put in, I think 2 columns is a literal waste of space.

BTW, Metal Machinary SDX is 65% off this week.

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

I have it like this and I love it like this.

Tweaking to the people!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I think the ultimate solution here is to be able to define or two columns.