There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

ProjectSAM Symphobia series 1.6 updates inc new content

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

ProjectSAM Symphobia series 1.6 updates inc new content

Post by Guy Rowland »

This is the week for major updates on older libraries it seems:

New articulations & effects (S1 & S2)

The Symphobia Series 1.6 Edition adds newly recorded sample content.

Sul Tasto Strings
Symphobia 1 now features a beautiful set of sul tasto strings. Recorded in multiple dynamics, starting at a whispering ppp, these sul tastos can be played as a full ensemble or per section.

Ghostly Strings
For Symphobia 2, we recorded a hair-raising new set of string effects, which we dubbed the Ghostly Strings. Killer Bees, Undead Trills and Creepy Bending give you an idea of some of the sounds you will encounter. Many of the effects are available in multiple, mod-wheel controlled dynamics, as well as different articulations.

New Multis
Both Symphobia 1 and 2 pack numerous new and inspiring Multis to experiment with.

New features (S1, S2 & S3)

Over 16 new features were added to the Symphobia Series 1.6 Edition, as well as many performance enhancements and fixes. In Symphobia 1 and 2, you can now switch articulations using the new articulation slider, which can also be mapped to CC. In all three Symphobia volumes, you can now lock your selected articulations, disabling all keyswitches and other articulation control, which is very useful when using bigger templates. It is now also possible to route individual mic outputs, lock round robins and enable/disable the sustain pedal. For an overview of the biggest changes, check out the video on the right.
I'll be taking a look at all this, likely over the Christmas period at this stage.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Re: ProjectSAM Symphobia 1&2 1.6 updates inc new content

Post by Guy Rowland »

Ooop, forgot to say it's 25% off the range til Jan 1.

Erik

Post by Erik »

good to know thanx! I bought Sym1 by licence transfer, thanx to your advices, a couple of years ago.
"I'm using more black notes now and there are a lot of chords in the last album, too" Vince Clarke -1986

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lumina is now also updated to 1.6:
New in Symphobia 3 1.6:
- Mic output routing
- Better legato reliability & speed
- Ability to lock selected articulation
- Ability to lock or stack round robins
- Ability to enable/disable sustain pedal
- On-screen info for all controls in Kontakt
- Refreshed UI design, consistent with Symphobia 1 & 2
- Backwards compatible with v1.51 (for existing projects)
- Note: element reset key moved to C8 (was C7)
I plan to do a little update video for the series. I think some of the legatos have been improved, but its still a little hit or miss for me... some have always been fabulous - eg S2's celebrated flute - while others still seem to have this big image collapse on some transitions.

stonzthro

Re: ProjectSAM Symphobia series 1.6 updates inc new content

Post by stonzthro »

That they are still updating a product from 2004 (speaking of Symphobia I) is astonishing, add to that the updates are STILL free, and many of the sounds are still useful - I love ProjectSAM!

byzantium

Post by byzantium »

Looking forward to that Guy. A bit tempted by Lumina in the current sale (but not sure).

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Here's that video re the update.... whoops I forgot to do the multis, I'll add that separately later.

kpc

Post by kpc »

Excellent work as always Guy - thanks for posting.
- kayle

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Spot on with a cup of tea. :) Thanks Guy! Good to see the video reviews continue and a plug for TSB. Any chance the new Komplete keyboards might intice you to ditch that velocity deathtrap you call a controller? ;)

My older S64 has worked out so well I may pick up an S88 before they loose the touchtrips. I highly prefer them to a mod wheel, and the bigger lights are good for older eyes (though it could use a dimmer knob). Cheers.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks X - what a good description "velocity deathtrap" is for that bloody thing.

I'm still stuck, sadly, with this marketplace failure - no quality 88 note semi-weighted keyboards are available. I'm praying that NI do release a version of the MkII 88 note with semi-weighted but I think it's unlikely... if and when MkII arrives I'd expect it to be weighted only. Bleugh. I wasn't convinced by the Novation Nektar either, that discrepancy between black and white notes was very disconcerting.

byzantium

Post by byzantium »

Thanks for the update Guy.
After around a year of indecision , and having just said I wasn't buying any more, and having let the sale come and go on Project Sam's website, and even though there are no new patches in it with 1.6, I finally succumbed and bought Lumina on JRRshop for €350, where it seemed to be on sale for a few days longer.
Strangely I haven't received the codes from JRR yet though. I can afford to wait, as I won't have time to use it for a few months. Kinda excited about it. Hope it turns out to be useful / inspiring.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I pretty much always have to wait for codes through JRR shop - usually it's fairly quick, once or twice it's taken a few days.

Let us know how you find it!

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

'To rowland' should become an officially recognized verb. Meaning: making damn fine product videos.
Thanks, Guy!

_

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Jan 05, 2018 11:17 am 'To rowland' should become an officially recognized verb. Meaning: making damn fine product videos.
Thanks, Guy!

_
+1.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

kpc

Post by kpc »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Jan 05, 2018 11:17 am 'To rowland' should become an officially recognized verb. Meaning: making damn fine product videos.
Thanks, Guy!

_
I have added it to my vocabulary!! Next time I will say "Man, this needs to be Rowlandized!"
- kayle

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Round these parts, "To Rowlandize" means something entirely different...

Aww shucks y'all. I continue to staggered that anyone gets any use out of someone wittering and wearning boxing gloves at the keyboard.

The weekend beckons, must do those multis I forgot to cover.

byzantium

Post by byzantium »

Yes indeed, Rowlon the next Rowland episode.

(PS Just spotted you in a fairly recent (and very good) SOS article..!)

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

My senility continues - here's the multis video, where I jump right from Symphobia 1 drama to Sympbobia 2, forgetting to look at the suspense and ambient Symphobia 1 videos. As I was wrapping up, I remembered, so those are all present and correct at the end. Sheesh.