There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Korg closes user.net, offers server migration and launches new ARP Odyssey synth

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Korg closes user.net, offers server migration and launches new ARP Odyssey synth

Post by Guy Rowland »

This will be a long one...

So two pieces of news in one here. Korg are closing their old user.net server, and all the registrations with it. If you own any of the Korg soft synths or the whole collection you will have an account there that needs to be migrated. The second piece of news is that they have just released a new instrument in what was their Legacy Collection, now simply called the Korg Collection, the ARP Odyssey:

The ARP ODYSSEY which Korg brought back in 2015 was designed with the advisory assistance of ARP Instruments cofounder David Friend. In that model, Korg was able to nail the sound of the original ARP Odyssey. Rather than using generic modeling techniques that simulate output sound, KORG digitized the transistor, condenser, and resistor used in the hardware model. We used those digitized components to reconstruct the same circuits as the hardware. With this method, KORG has completely reproduced the complex sound and parameter characteristics which are born from the entirety of the ARP ODYSSEY’s circuits.

he software includes the 3 different filters originating from the different dates of production and the drive circuitry which were features of the hardware ARP ODYSSEY brought back by KORG. It has also been newly equipped with the long-awaited Voice Assign Mode which makes chord playing possible, an arpeggiator which can be minutely programmed as with a sequencer, and an effects unit which can bring variegated transformations to your sound. Also, you can switch between the three designs of ARP Odyssey which are different based on the date of production. In addition to the Rev3’s iconic black panel with orange silk-screening, you can get the Rev1’s white panel and the Rev2’s black panel with gold silk-screening.
http://www.korg.com/us/products/softwar ... lineup.php

http://www.korg.com/us/news/2017/1222/

While the rest of the collection isn't updated yet (the tiny GUIs have long been bemoaned), the good news is that this is coming:
Some features widely requested by users will be added to the KORG Collection in future updates. We plan to support AAX format and refine the user interface on a large-scale among other improvements but until then we hope you love all the new features so far and enjoy making music with the KORG Collection of synthesizers offered by KORG.
There is currently a sale on til end of Jan 2018, with the Odyssey at $69.99 reduced from $99.99. Existing Legacy Collection users can get this for $49.99, more on which below.

Now for details on this server migration:
For Current Users of KORG Legacy Collection: Announcement of Server Migration Accompanying Partial Termination of Service

We will soon be migrating our server to KORG ID and KORG Shop along with the partial termination of service of KORG USER NET. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that KORG Legacy Collection users may experience. We request that you follow the instructions on the page below to complete the migration procedures. Using the coupon code which will be issued, you will be able to switch from the KORG Legacy Collection series to KORG Collection.
....and here's where you can do that - http://www.korguser.net/login.asp?OS=WIN&LAN=1&TOP=1
In order to proceed, new registration to KORG ID is required. It is not possible to take over the account of KORG USER NET. Thank you for your understanding.

If you own the KORG Legacy Collection - Special Bundle, please complete the entire product registration at KORG USER NET. Please note that upgrade coupon for the Special Bundle will not be issued if registration is not completed.

KORG Legacy Collection - Special Bundle users will be able to add ARP ODYSSEY and upgrade to the "KORG Collection - Special Bundle" by using the upgrade coupon (at a special price of US $49.99)
I've just migrated to the new server and it was painless - log in to the old Korg User account using the link above, then click Migration Code and follow the link to the new collection, entering the code there which reduces the price from $199 to zero (not bought the Odyssey as yet). Don't get excited - this is just pretty much exactly what you already own. But you need to get registered at the new address before the old shuts down so worth doing sooner rather than later.

If you don't have the collection but do have some individual synths, there are upgrade paths for those here - http://www.korg.com/us/news/2017/1222/

Phew. I need a lie down.

[EDIT - just a warning here from Evil Dragon who posted this at KVR (hope it's ok to repost here Mario). I'm not installing anything yet, the migration is the important bit for now.
OK wow, their installers are fckd up... first off they don't respect the path you input for installing the legacy collection (it ALWAYS goes to Program Files (x86)\Korg\Korg Legacy, no matter what else you type), and then they don't ask you for the location of your VST plugins folder (32-bit goes in the above mentioned folder, 64-bit you will find in Program Files\VstPlugins\Korg). Ugh.
EDIT ENDS]

EDIT 2 - for me as I keep losing where the new products now live, and it's here - https://id.korg.com/accounts

J Rod

Re: Korg closes user.net, offers server migration and launches new ARP Odyssey synth

Post by J Rod »

Thanks for the information, have Korg done something about the gui?. is resizable now?.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Re: Korg closes user.net, offers server migration and launches new ARP Odyssey synth

Post by Guy Rowland »

As mentioned above, the GUI update is in the works apparently, and very very long overdue.

I'm not going to install the "new" versions as there's only minor stability fixes at the moment and some busted installers. The important thing is to migrate, and that only takes a few minutes really.

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

J Rod wrote:Thanks for the information, have Korg done something about the gui?. is resizable now?.
Only the new Odyssey plugin has it. It looks like 3 GUI sizes are available.
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I have the Korg Legacy Collection. So, I got my Coupon Code to migrate to Korg Collection, but when I click on the link for the Korg-Shop, it does not open that page. Could be some server issues they are having ? (Update) , I was able to input the coupon code, but it does not update the price to show $0.00 , instead I get a message saying 'there has been an error processing your request" . :frown:

Anyone having issues reaching their Store to enter the coupon code ?

Anyways, I'm hoping I will eventually be able to register my Korg Collection, I'm also thinking about buying their new ARP Odyssey Synth. and hope that they upgrade the GUI of all the current Korg Collection Synth in the near future.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yes, reading around looks like they have some issues over there, they're probably slammed.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

For a change I guess I was ahead of the curve?

I was able to update my collection and account yesterday, it was a little slow, but it worked. I will be installing the new plugins later today, I'll report back if I run into any snags - or not.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yeah, think I got lucky too, Bill. It is amazing in this day and age that constantly developers get "surprised" when their shiny new thing causes server meltdown. I cant pretend to understand the behind the scenes gubbins of net servers, but I'd have thought if you used big servers like Amazon and paid for temporary scaling up, it should cope - surely the huge hit of traffic by our industry standards is peanuts compared to the really big players.

Anyway, I highly doubt Korg will shut off the old servers tomorrow (what, at Christmas?!!!) and that will be some way off, so there should be time to migrate after they've restored some kind of working service.

J Rod

Post by J Rod »

Guy Rowland wrote:
As mentioned above, the GUI update is in the works apparently, and very very long overdue.
EvilDragon wrote:
Only the new Odyssey plugin has it. It looks like 3 GUI sizes are available.
Great.

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Finally managed to transfer my licenses. Website weirdness seems to be dealt with .

synergy543

Post by synergy543 »

Thanks for the heads up on this Guy and for forging the way. Much appreciated.
Gregory D. Moore

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

OK, I was finally able to complete the migration process to the new Korg ID, and Korg Shop.

Q. I have the ARP Odyssey showing up at $49. at the Korg Shop (KORG Collection - Special Bundle Upgrade for Legacy Bundle), but it keeps asking me to input a coupon code, which coupon code are they referring to ? and where do I get this specific coupon from if I don't have it ? If the price is $49. as shown, why do I still need a coupon ? Kind of confusing. I also see the option to purchase the ARP Odyssey at $69.

I got the coupon code to migrate, which worked fine to allow me to get the Korg Collection for $0.0 instead of $199. ,

I'm also not sure if I need to install this new Korg Collection Instruments (Have they been updated ?), or just use the instruments I already have from the Korg Legacy Collection ?

Any feedback on this would be helpful.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

There should be a 2nd code on the Korg.user site which relates to the Odyssey as I recall. Good luck!

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Guy Rowland wrote:There should be a 2nd code on the Korg.user site which relates to the Odyssey as I recall. Good luck!
Perfect !

I forgot about the 2nd code. which is the Upgrade Code, the other one is the Migration Code.

Used the Upgrade Code, and all worked. Received my KORG Collection - Special Bundle Upgrade for Legacy Bundle Product Code. Which includes the Odyssey.

Thanks for the help,
Muziksculp

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Kong have now apparently fixed the installers. Still no urgency for me to do anything, but good to know it should know work when I do.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

has anyone bought their Odessey? How does it compare to other Odessey clones? I have the gForce version and really like it, but I'm open to options.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

While Bill and I wait for some more first hand reports of the Odyssey, I chanced across this hypnotically fascinating video from 1979 - The Yellow Magic Orchestra playing live in support of The Tubes (somehow) at LA's Greek Theatre. Isn't that compere Spinal Tap's manager?! Anyway, I count no less than 3 ARP Odysseys among their 4 keyboard players. Also spotted a Polymoog, a Moog modular (though lord only knows what it is actually doing), a Prophet 5 and what is that huge Oberheim beast that the female player has back right?

(Oh, and strictly for the Yellow Magic Orchestra fans.... there's a super-long version of 1,000 Knives in this set which didn't make it to record until 1981. It's jazz fusion in this version, not the B-boy classic it became, with still surely the most outrageous synth solo in history here at 2.07:

I genuinely don't know how they did that...

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

And just to add I installed and registered all products without a hitch - the new installer seems to work fine now in Windows. Apparently it is important to install / register at some stage. I only had to C/R one plugin for them all to work and appear in my new Korg account.

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Guy Rowland wrote: Dec 29, 2017 6:22 am And just to add I installed and registered all products without a hitch - the new installer seems to work fine now in Windows. Apparently it is important to install / register at some stage. I only had to C/R one plugin for them all to work and appear in my new Korg account.
Thanks for all this info Guy. Ironically I had bought 5 of the 6 legacy products (perhaps one came out later? Or I never downloaded/registered it). So I had to go through 5 seperate coupon code purchases to migrate over all 5 products. Now I'll have to download and register all 5. Apparently the upgrade isn't an option for me because I don't have all 6, but to be honest I really don't use them besides the M1 and Wavestation. The rest felt unneccessarily small and lifeless. of course the producer in me says "If a client ever asks if I have xxx emulation..." so I'll be registering all 5. ;)

At the same time I'll be damned if I'll spend another $20 for another small interface. Who knows how far off the update is. This process also sours me on buying anything new from them, software or hardware. Oh Korg of 1990! How the mighty have fallen. :D