There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Light and Sound Concert Grand

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
fratveno

Re: Light and Sound Concert Grand

Post by fratveno »

Very disappointed. This Steinway sounds worn out and neither well regulated nor professionally prepared (piano)technically before being sampled. Scripting wise it's great. Playability great as well, but all mics lack bite and feels unresponsive to finer pianistic touches...

tack

Post by tack »

fratveno wrote: Apr 05, 2018 4:54 pmbut all mics lack bite and feels unresponsive to finer pianistic touches...
I noticed this straightaway myself -- the timbre on the softer dynamics didn't play right for me -- but I won't have time to take it out for a proper spin until the weekend so I'm reserving judgment.

Even scripting-wise there were a few wonky moments I found that seemed to be tempered a bit with half-pedaling disabled. Need to pay a bit of attention on reproducing this.

BTW, I'd say welcome to the forum, fratveno, but you joined at the same time I did. So I'll just say Happy First Post instead. :)
- Jason

tack

Post by tack »

Spent a bit more time with it today and I remain disappointed as well.

The sampling philosophy used here of creating specific velocity zones per note (those needed to best capture the timbre changes of that note) isn't really working well. The timbre jumps are still quite noticeable, and it's even worse than with piano libraries having consistent velocity zones across all notes because now I can play a set of notes at a consistent velocity and have only some of those notes pop out due to pushing into the next layer.

So unfortunately yet another piano sample library hits the market that fails to live up to my personal gold standard of sample-based VIs, which remains Galaxy Vintage D. Too bad because I really liked the mic position flexibility of L&S.
- Jason