There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

ProjectSAM Symphobia 2016 updates

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

ProjectSAM Symphobia 2016 updates

Post by Guy Rowland »

Updates to the 3 Symphobia libraries. 1 and 2 are available now as free updates, Lumina is coming shortly.

- Symphobia 2: 2.6 GB worth of new content: Brass, String and Wind Trio Chords (1.6 GB in NCW format)
- Smoother mod wheel control for all instruments
- Native Kontrol Standard support
- NI Komplete Kontrol light guide support
- Major loading speed improvements
- New & improved user interface
- On-screen tool tips
- Various bug fixes

There is also a sale on for 2 weeks from today (24/11/15)

https://www.projectsam.com/symphobia

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Re: ProjectSAM Symphobia 2016 updates

Post by Guy Rowland »

Just to add - I've just road tested S2. Goodness me the load times and the memory use is transformed. Random patch test - 1.4.2 Strings With Woodwinds (win 7, Windows Task Manager figures, all patches batch resaved). Was 252mb and approx 5 secs to load. Now in 1.5 68mb and under a second to load. Gotta do some template rejigging.

The new patches work well too - major, minor, diminished variations, all modwheel dynamics. The string sound is small and intimate here. The Wind trio chords also has a bonus trill on high key velocities.

woodsdenis

Post by woodsdenis »

No new content for S1 :angry: I have downloaded but yet give a try.
Thanks, Denis

Cubase 10.5, Live 10, Mac Pro 10.14.6

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

The S1 update seemed to mess with some of my legacy patches, Denis - I've dropped them a line for help with some missing files that Kontakt throws up. They play ok, it's graphics I think that I'm missing.

EDIT - they already replied with a fix (it'll only be needed for those like me trying to keep ancient legacy nkis working)

eegee

Post by eegee »

As a proud new owner of a Komplete Kontrol keyboard, I'm excited to see how they mapped the various params and the pretty keyswitches light up.
Twitter: @EricGeorge_

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Happy to report the file ProjectSAM sent me fixes my legacy patch problem. The issue is that NI changed their library file at some point, and Kontakt can get grumpy if it sees both the old .nkx and the new .ninct files in the same place. ProjectSAM reccommended I put the .nkx file somewhere else and batch resaved, but I thought I'd try risking it in the same place as it used to be so all old projects will still load without nagging. It worked perfectly for me, but if I ever get issues further down the road I'll know what to move.

This will only be an issue if, like me, you still need access to very old legacy versions - if you do, I suggest you contact ProjectSAM who can send you those old missing files.

EDIT - they're now including that legacy fix by default. Yay!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Here's a very quick look at the new editions for Symphobias 1 and 2. I look at the general stuff, and also walk through the new S2 chord patches.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

WallofSound wrote:Lumina is here aka calling Guy for a walkthrough ;-O
Oooh, nice one, thanks I hadn't spotted that. Looks like it has the same core updates as the others, plus
New, tempo sync wind, string and brass patterns & phrases
(which is 1.2gb of uncompressed new content)

I'll try and get a videoette up over the weekend.

PS - the Lumina library tab turned RED!

eegee

Post by eegee »

Curious - how do you guys use the Stories in Lumina. I just started playing with these and I really enjoy just plinking around in them, but it's unclear, due to the instrument mappings, if I would use them in a piece. Any thoughts?
Twitter: @EricGeorge_

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

eegee wrote:Curious - how do you guys use the Stories in Lumina. I just started playing with these and I really enjoy just plinking around in them, but it's unclear, due to the instrument mappings, if I would use them in a piece. Any thoughts?
I have quite a few in my template actually. It's a fine line between "plinking around" and having something that just works as it is! A problem I hear mentioned a lot is stems - a lot of the PS multis and stories combine instruments across sections, so it mucks up stem delivery. I'm lucky I guess - in my field nobody wants individual music element stems.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lil' video for the Lumina 1.5 extra content:

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

WallofSound wrote:Thanks Guy! Liked the woods in 4/4 and the brass shorts. Have you tried the new stories?
I, um, have now! Blimey, I didn't realise there were any. 3 new ones I think - honestly, none that will make it into my template I think but thanks for the heads up...

Here's something very silly I just did - I wondered what would happen if you stacked 3 multis to create an UberMulti.