There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Your Holiday Hauls

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Aesthete

Your Holiday Hauls

Post by Aesthete »

Share what you have picked up over the next month. (no bah humbug comments please, the kids are watching :D

Topic author
Aesthete

Re: Your Holiday Hauls

Post by Aesthete »

Here So far

Soundiron Mercury Elements Boys Choir $68 on sale U.S.
http://soundiron.com/products/mercury-e ... er-edition

Soundtoys Complete Bundle.$299
Was not on my initial list, but could not resist that price.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Well it would have been rude not to pick up the Soundtoys freebie. Other than that... Cubase 8.5 update in the diary for next week....

(still recovering from a recent iZotope blowout)

mickeyl

Post by mickeyl »

Spitfire Albion ONE and the two string ensembles. Was really considering to go all-in with the BML complete, but all the recently raised concerns in different parts of the BML have scared me a bit, so I go in waiting mode with that purchase. Will have fun and have to learn enough with what I already got now. No more audio purchases for 6 months – promise!
Cheers,

Dr. Michael Lauer – My Music

PhJ

Post by PhJ »

well, since the Albion One upgrade is not discounted, I'm hesitating between Loegria & CS2.
I'll get back here when I'll have managed to make up my mind... :thinking:

tack

Post by tack »

Heavyocity Damage, downloading now. Not sure how much use it'll get, but it's a staple library and at half off, the price is right.

Spitfire Sable bundle is on deck (this weekend).
- Jason

wst3

Post by wst3 »

still wrestling!!

There are a couple of updates I really need to consider - Sound Forge (still V9) and Finale (still 2010).

I'd really like to get Cinematic Strings 2, and Agitato Legato Arpeggio (I have the other two, and Adagiatto), but I'll have to pick one.

There are also some smaller libraries that I've had my eyes on... and of course they are all on sale to some degree or another!

I did pick up Reverberate 2 last week, and I am really pleased with that purchase.

Norman Ludwin is having a sale...

And so on and so on. I need to be independently wealthy, or get a lot more work!

Topic author
Aesthete

Post by Aesthete »

Aesthete wrote:Here So far

Soundiron Mercury Elements Boys Choir $68 on sale U.S.
http://soundiron.com/products/mercury-e ... er-edition

Soundtoys Complete Bundle.$299
Was not on my initial list, but could not resist that price.
Spitfire Audio Olafur Arnalds Evolution $224 Intro offer
Could not resist

J Rod

Post by J Rod »

I'm on black Friday mode from March so im reticent to buy something now..but ok...i couldn't resist to get some elysia-maag-SPL plugins, Vocalise and waiting to get Cubase 8.5, and of course, Hans Zimmer Piano is in my "maybe" list.

mybootsonfire

Post by mybootsonfire »

I grabbed a few things today. Got NI's the Giant, didn't really need another piano but i wanted it for the weird other stuffs it does. Also picked up Rise and Hit from them. Project Bravo was hard to pass up at the sale price, so i added that to the ever growing collection. Iris 2 and 8dio's Basstard finished off my wallet. Hoping Iris 2 can hold me over for a little while until i can get Omnisphere.

Told the wife i want a Korg MS 20 for Christmas, so fingers crossed.
-chris

TheUnfinished

Post by TheUnfinished »

Got myself a Korg MS20 Mini (not really a Black Friday deal!).

Am planning to pick a couple of things up from UAD and NI, but not sure what yet precisely (though Battery 4 and Monark are definites).

Plus... I don't seem to be able to keep off Ebay at the moment. Gaaah!

woodsdenis

Post by woodsdenis »

Heavyocity Master Ensemble loops, managed to get Halion 5 by getting HalionSonic2 and upgrading.

If you use Cubase, Halion is great, as the drag and drop integration is great. Hardly any libraries for it ( I have Kontakt for that). The bread and butter sounds are essentially a Yamaha Motif and most of them are very playable, with a tiny, by todays standard footprint. Brings me back to Eric Persing's marvels on Roland Gear. Anyway it sounds fantastic , with an awesome granular and synth engine .
Thanks, Denis

Cubase 10.5, Live 10, Mac Pro 10.14.6

jneebz

Post by jneebz »

-Cinesamples String Runs
-Sample Magic Magic A/B
-Huge LoopLoft pack
-Stylus RMX, because I'm an impatient bastard in need of some sort of groove creator/loop tool.
-Rode M5 Stereo Pair mics

Hoping to be able to afford HZ Piano if it lives up to the hype :)
:: osx sierra :: cubase :: uad :: focal :: http://www.eightwavemusic.com ::

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

I'm actually trying to force myself to get anything, but ever since I decided to buy stuff on a "need" basis instead of a "want" I can't seem to "need" anything at the moment. That decision could well be the worst I've ever made.

I'm trying out Softubes Fix Flanger/Doubler right now and it does things like no other plugin in my toolbox so I might pick up that.

Bought a cheap guitar (but better than what I've got) and an Orange Micro Dark at Thomann (and they ALWAYS have BF prices :) ).

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thomas Mavian wrote:I'm actually trying to force myself to get anything, but ever since I decided to buy stuff on a "need" basis instead of a "want" I can't seem to "need" anything at the moment. That decision could well be the worst I've ever made.
I highly doubt it, Thomas...

I have to say this has been the easiest Black Friday to sail through yet. There are some great deals out there, no bitching there, but I feel exactly the same way as you Thomas... I need pretty much none of them. Having recently identified the stuff I really do need (in the Greatest Need threads here http://www.thesoundboard.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=252 and here http://www.thesoundboard.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=253 ), it becomes a whole lot easier - in the main, what I seek does not yet exist, so its just a case of waiting it out.

TheUnfinished

Post by TheUnfinished »

I've finally actually spent some money and grabbed the Moog Filter from UAD.

Also ended up upgrading to Komplete 10 from 7. Not a Black Friday deal, but was only £20 more expensive than buying Battery 4 and Monark that I wanted. So I essentially get a bunch of pianos and other stuff for that £20. Not bad.

Haven't seen anything else that grabs me yet.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

I almost bought some stuff, one click away, but then remembered the promise I made to myself at the beginning of the year, "Jay, if you don't have a project now or in the near future where you are unhappy with what you have to accomplish it, put away the wallet."

So difficult to stick to though.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

kpc

Post by kpc »

I'm with you Jay. Very tempting, but the wallet is securely placed far away from the Internet.

Cheers
kc
Ashermusic wrote:I almost bought some stuff, one click away, but then remembered the promise I made to myself at the beginning of the year, "Jay, if you don't have a project now or in the near future where you are unhappy with what you have to accomplish it, put away the wallet."

So difficult to stick to though.
- kayle

TheUnfinished

Post by TheUnfinished »

Annoyingly, if I can't justify a purchase for any music projects, my brain leaps and goes "But it'd be great for a sound design project!"

DAMN YOU BRAAAAAAAAIN!!!!

Topic author
Aesthete

Post by Aesthete »

Matt, the muted trumpet in Session Horns Pro and Drumlab is worth that extra twenty easy.
TheUnfinished wrote:I've finally actually spent some money and grabbed the Moog Filter from UAD.

Also ended up upgrading to Komplete 10 from 7. Not a Black Friday deal, but was only £20 more expensive than buying Battery 4 and Monark that I wanted. So I essentially get a bunch of pianos and other stuff for that £20. Not bad.

Haven't seen anything else that grabs me yet.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Tell me about Drumlab, James. Everyone seemed to be pretty down on it, it didn't seem to offer much over what I had so I'll be honest I never installed it. What am I missing?

Topic author
Aesthete

Post by Aesthete »

I like experimenting and designing my own drums and triggering them in Maschine. Ned was using it as well I believe ( I think Ned will be in Modular coma for a while). But it is probably not that useful for mocking up.
Guy Rowland wrote:Tell me about Drumlab, James. Everyone seemed to be pretty down on it, it didn't seem to offer much over what I had so I'll be honest I never installed it. What am I missing?

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

TheUnfinished wrote:I've finally actually spent some money and grabbed the Moog Filter from UAD.
You're going to love it! That is one of those plugins I bought that has found more uses than I first imagined. Just putting it on and using the +20 dB drive is magic on the right track :)

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Guy Rowland wrote:
Thomas Mavian wrote:I'm actually trying to force myself to get anything, but ever since I decided to buy stuff on a "need" basis instead of a "want" I can't seem to "need" anything at the moment. That decision could well be the worst I've ever made.
I highly doubt it, Thomas...
I hope so. But it's just sometimes when I've bought a library on impulse, later when I "toy" around with it (guiltily so) sometimes it takes me places where I didn't even know I wanted to end up at. The kind of "inspirational" journey one can get with a fresh library that's really not something you "need". Know what I mean?

kpc

Post by kpc »

Ok, well I broke down and picked up Magic a/b. One thing I need to work on is my mixing and finalizing cues for delivery. I'm in a "raise your game" mode and I think doing more (actually, I never compare) comparisons between my mixes and what I'm going for will help immensely.

But that's it. I'm done. :)

Cheers
kc
- kayle