There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

25% off any u-he product til end August

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

25% off any u-he product til end August

Post by Guy Rowland »

This is for anyone who signs up to the u-He newsletter, or is already a subscriber - https://u-he.com/newsletter/ . New subscribers will receive a unique code in early July.

https://u-he.com/newsletter/

Since u-he don't do regular sales, this is likely the best discount to be had. I will once again ask myself if it really isn't time I bought Zebra 2 and / or Diva, even though I really don't need them.

Jaap

Re: 25% off any u-he product til end August

Post by Jaap »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jun 19, 2018 10:23 am This is for anyone who signs up to the u-He newsletter, or is already a subscriber - https://u-he.com/newsletter/ . New subscribers will receive a unique code in early July.

https://u-he.com/newsletter/

Since u-he don't do regular sales, this is likely the best discount to be had. I will once again ask myself if it really isn't time I bought Zebra 2 and / or Diva, even though I really don't need them.
Buying cooking, chocolate or a beer or the likes are also things we don't need to survive as human, however they are nice to consume. :D

And Thomas also selling his Zebra 2 I just saw: https://www.thesoundboard.net/viewtopic ... 215#p40215 combine that with the discount for Diva and you bought yourself a whole tin box of virtual chocolate!

wst3

Post by wst3 »

My timing remains impeccible - I picked up Zebra2 and Dark Zebra a couple weeks ago.

I don't regret the purchase, but sometimes I do think the universe is having fun at my expense!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

How are you finding them, Bill?

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

You need them, Guy. You just don't know it yet.
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

I also have 1 license each for Bazille and ACE up for sale.

Arcana

Post by Arcana »

Hmm... wondering if I should get Repro-5 or Dark Zebra....although I'll probably just get Avenger instead, as they have a 20% discount :D

Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Arcana wrote: Jun 19, 2018 2:57 pm Hmm... wondering if I should get Repro-5 or Dark Zebra....although I'll probably just get Avenger instead, as they have a 20% discount :D
All of course :D but 20% off from VPS Avenger is great! Really awesome synth with amazing options :)

Arcana

Post by Arcana »

Jaap wrote: Jun 19, 2018 3:23 pm
Arcana wrote: Jun 19, 2018 2:57 pm Hmm... wondering if I should get Repro-5 or Dark Zebra....although I'll probably just get Avenger instead, as they have a 20% discount :D
All of course :D but 20% off from VPS Avenger is great! Really awesome synth with amazing options :)
Yeah, I mean it's pretty the much the price of both Repro-5 and Dark zebra combined, but I've already got Diva so I feel I'm covered in terms of analog goodness and Dark zebra is just an extension of Zebra, where as Avenger is a completely different synth. And it has some of the best soundsets on the market.

Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Arcana wrote: Jun 19, 2018 3:30 pm
Yeah, I mean it's pretty the much the price of both Repro-5 and Dark zebra combined, but I've already got Diva so I feel I'm covered in terms of analog goodness and Dark zebra is just an extension of Zebra, where as Avenger is a completely different synth. And it has some of the best soundsets on the market.
Yes very true, it offers a completely different thing indeed then the U-he stuff. Also a nice thing about Avenger is that it gets constantly updated and more and more features being added.

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Go with Repro-5 if you can. It is just soooo juicy. :)
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jun 19, 2018 1:11 pm How are you finding them, Bill?
I really haven't spent much time with Dark Zebra yet - auditioned a bunch of presets and yeah, they are cool, but I've spent the majority of my time just exploring Zebra, auditioning presets, taking them apart to see what makes them tick, and creating new sounds. I don't think I have had this much fun with a software synth ever. Repro 1 & 5 are fun, but they remind me of hardware synths of old. Zebra, to me, is a whole new take on synthesis. I am just loving it.

Now I may have to do some digging on Bazille and ACE, since Thomas is divesting himself of software synths.

On a separate note - there is an open source modular, VCV rack, which I took for a spin. Pretty cool. So I downloaded the trial version of Softube Modular. Wow is that amazing. First there is the sound which I would put at the top of the heap (along with Zebra and the Repro twins), and it just works so well. And there are all these cool modules you can add. For somewhere south of $90 right now I think I might go with that.

On the other hand, the u-He stuff I have sounds amazing, so Bazille is also attractive.

Man it's a good thing I'm not wealthy or I'd be broke!

Ages

Post by Ages »

So this would be a good time to pickup Diva then. Thing is, I tried the demo a little while back and just didn't see why I'd bother getting it as I can already make nice retro patches with Omnisphere 2. I can't help but feel I'm missing something though. Am I?

tack

Post by tack »

Ages, there's just something about Diva for me that elevates it above the rest[*]. It seems like all the patches that stopped me in my tracks were on Diva.

And the Hollo Divine soundset has for me been the most inspiring. The Humanized Picks patch is so magical that it's almost cheating.

I just haven't heard those same kind of warm, mellow, silky tones from Omnisphere.

Maybe it's all placebo. :)

[*] Where "the rest" in my tiny universe is Omnisphere and Zebra 2, so take all that with a grain of salt.
- Jason

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Jaap, can you talk a little about Avenger's soundset? I feel it's the one I need-something more aggressive and modern, maybe...edgier? than Omni.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Lawrence wrote: Jun 20, 2018 1:12 am
Jaap, can you talk a little about Avenger's soundset? I feel it's the one I need-something more aggressive and modern, maybe...edgier? than Omni.
I have not really dived into the regular factory soundsets and mostly working with my own sonuds, but I bought the Cinematic 1 expansion pack as I heard a sound I needed for a project with a very tight deadline. It is a great pack, it is definately more aggressive then most of the Omni stuff, but this lies more in the fx sections from Avenger. I still consider the effects the "weakest" link in Omnisphere and Avenger (and Falcon even much more) have the ability to create a far more modern sound then Omni. In the end Omni can get there, but takes a lot more time and differrent approach in my opinion.
You can see with Avenger that is was created with the EDM market in mind, with easy aggressive modulation options, creating cutting edge weirdness with relative ease.

Arcana

Post by Arcana »

Ages wrote: Jun 19, 2018 9:45 pm So this would be a good time to pickup Diva then. Thing is, I tried the demo a little while back and just didn't see why I'd bother getting it as I can already make nice retro patches with Omnisphere 2. I can't help but feel I'm missing something though. Am I?
What sold me was the Phemon soundsets (there's 2) from Unfinished. There's just nothing in Omnisphere that sounds like that.
http://www.theunfinished.co.uk/shop/diva-phenom-vol-2/
I think Omnisphere is a powerhouse, but it just can't match the analog sound of Diva.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Have their been any updates that improved the efficiency of Diva? I recall being floored by the trial version, but sadly my computer was crushed. It is a wonderful synth, but a little too resource hungry for me at the moment - or it was anyway. Reports to the contrary are more than welcome!

tack

Post by tack »

When did you last try it, Bill?

It is multithreaded and load can be distributed over multiple cores which helps performance substantially (but you have to explicitly enable multicore, it's off by default) and also there are different quality settings that can significantly reduce overhead without significantly altering the sound. ("Divine" quality indeed requires a fast CPU for many patches but "Great" is a good compromise of you need to squeeze some processing cycles out.)
- Jason

Dave

Post by Dave »

Diva definitely runs much better after the update a long while back to utilize more cores. Zebra is great but Dark Zebra is especially awesome, because I love being able to see how Hans and Howard created the sounds for Batman. They were my first synths of any kind so seeing how those sounds were constructed was incredibly educational for me. I selfishly wish Hans would release more of his sounds!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I do very much like the design concept of Diva, modelling a bunch of classic modules and then being able to switch them out. That's a golden idea. Whenever I've demo'd it in the past there have been some lovely sounds. But honestly... not sure I've yet heard quite the difference between it and other big hitters that some clearly do. I do hear it with the Repros though.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

It has been a while I think, I will download the latest version and take it for a spin,

Arcana

Post by Arcana »

Lawrence wrote: Jun 20, 2018 1:12 am
There's a demo available where you can check out all the 900+ factory presets.
Only restriction is a noise burst every 5 min. or so and time out after 30 min.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I’m going to do that. Thanks, Arcana.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Ages

Post by Ages »

@tack & @Arcana - Yeh I've heard Diva is the best for that many times over the years and that's why it's always been on my radar. Thing is, when I tried the demo, I just didn't feel it was doing anything I couldn't do in Omnisphere, or at least nothing that was noticeable enough to really make me want to buy it. It's a shame because I want to want to buy it!! I'll try it out again and see what I think ;)