There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Zynaptic / "Intensity" (detail, clarity, density, loudness)

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Stixman

Re: Zynaptic / "Intensity" (detail, clarity, density, loudness)

Post by Stixman »

I have not tried it on a mix as yet... individual tracks is where it shines! :)

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Posted yesterday by Denis at KVR:
OK guys, some news, you Ladies and Gentlemen here are the first to know:

1) we've received so many requests that we decided to extend the intro promo to the end of July. Email us if you need a trial extension for evaluating.

2) we're deploying an update (v1.1.0) very soon – this weekend, if nothing unforeseen happens. This update has:

Fixed a buffering issue in some hosts and formats; could cause a glitch at the beginning of a region after a period of silence.
Added more and reworked some existing factory presets; in general, factory preset bank should now be more "subtle".
Added a button that copies the selected preset bias curve to the custom mode sliders and switches BIAS MODE to custom.

There'll be another update addressing precision control over INTENSITY, switchable SATURATE knee, and an improved loudness compensation option. The latter will be a monitoring/comparison option as it is indeed not possible to measure loudness without a latency, and predicting signal dependent stuff isn't sufficiently precise. That said, you will probably be able to just leave that option on if you don't mind a short "settle down" level transition when changing parameters or swapping out the signal.

Thank you all for your feedback

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

1.1.0 is now out
Zynaptiq has updated Intensity to v1.1.0.

New in v1.1.0:

New and re-worked factory presets that highlight the more subtle use cases of the plugin better.
New option to copy the currently active Preset Bias Curve to the Custom Sliders; button is labelled ">" and is found right above the BIAS CURVE MODE switch when in PRESETS mode.
Fixed an issue that could cause glitches at region boundaries in some cases.
The Intensity introductory special has been extended to July 31st
Hoping the next update with the improved loudness compensation makes it out before the end of the introductory period.

Erik

Post by Erik »

On VIC, Charlie Closer writes interesting comments about it too. He's adopted it, but note as a master buss FX but on individual tracks, to make some of them pop up.
"I'm using more black notes now and there are a lot of chords in the last album, too" Vince Clarke -1986

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Splendid news, Denis just posted this over on KVR:
We've just released 1.2.0and it features....wait for it...a monitoring section with 1-click loudness compensated monitoring as requested :D It also adds an input gain slider as requested (can't remember whether that was here or on GS...).

The loudness compensation works pretty much like I said earlier: we continuously measure the loudness of the input (post input gain) and the output, and calculate a correction amount in dB. This measurement obviously needs some time-window, so it lags behind a little (it's pretty quick though). Also, its continuous – so it will "move around" a little, potentially, in terms of gain. No big deal on most things, but it may be noticeable in some cases (and, sometimes, it adds a nice little bit of movement). Which is why it's declared a monitoring function. It's subtle though so nothing is going to stop you from just leaving it on :D And: it is LOUDNESS compensation, so it does NOT look at peak levels; so the output might go over 0dB when using this.

OK, that now leaves a zoom for the INTENSITY trackball as well as adjustable knee for the saturator.

Oh and do not forget that the intro promo ends in two weeks. Not going to extend it again ;-)

Cheers guys!
-d

https://www.zynaptiq.com/intensity/intensity-downloads/
Will be demoing this now I can better gauge it, hopefully tomorrow.

bigcat1969

Post by bigcat1969 »

Hey Piet! In my continuing efforts to be off-topic, you were mentioned on a VI-C thread as being one of the best digital music composers or some such. It's not a Grammy, but kinda cool.

Hannes_F

Post by Hannes_F »

The left slider of this tool should be gain compensated imho. Without that it looks like a fancy LouderIsBetterIsator.

Congratulations to Piet for the VIC-Grammy, well deserved :P :D :)
Traveller in boundlessness, at home in the Now
http://www.strings-on-demand.com

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Weeeellll... I have to say I'm not convinced. But I might be if I didn't own Clariphonic. The level compensation is invaluable, and to me it reveals that this is compression and EQ. It is, however, nice compression and EQ, and kinda handy to have it all in one place. I do need to try it on more material - thus far I haven't heard it doing anything amazing with the bass, as I play around with the bias curves it seems most of the good stuff is in the mids and highs. Which is exactly what the Clariphonic covers. And I do have a boat-load of nice compressors already.

There is I believe some saturation going on too, I haven't really discerned much of that tbh.

I'll confess there's likely a psychological component to my mild hurrumphing. I look to Zynaptiq to create something new. They were the first to de-reverb with Unveil. They're still the only game in town for digital compression artefact removal with Unchirp. While Adaptiverb may be another reverb, it is producing tones that I haven't heard anywhere else, by using genuinely different methods. But with Wormhole and now this, it feels like they're trying to sell us something genuinely new, whereas in fact its parlour tricks, repackaging a few old components and saying "ta da" (and in this case on the initial release, there's no more hoary old parlour trick than "louder sounds better"). This shouldn't matter to the end product - if you like what it does, then end of story. And Intensity is a good product, it does good things, it sounds good. But my psychological make up is getting in the way, I feel just slightly cheated. It it were marketed as convenience not innovation, I'd probably be more ok with it.... but I'd still probably be a touch disappointed that the innovation seems to be drying up.