There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Genuine Software / VB3 II

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Genuine Software / VB3 II

Post by Piet De Ridder »

To my ears, never challenged as the best simulation of a Hammond B3 — despite very stiff competition from the likes of a.o. GG Audio (Blue3) and Acoustic Samples (B5) — Genuine Software's VB3, which for a looooong time seemed destined to spend its entire life as a 32-bit plugin, is finally updated and now has all the features and functionality that people expect from today's plug-ins.

I got a little worried at first when I read that the VB3 II is "a whole new product" and fitted with "a new sound", because the one thing that set its predecessor apart from all the competition was precisely that unique wonderful sound it had: a warm, creamy and fat timbre (with a very nice distortion, if so desired) that I've never heard in any of the VB3's competitors.
The sound in the videos below is most promising though, so the next step is to download and install the demo version, and spend a few hours with it.

The price for this new version may, for some, be a bit of an eye-brow raiser, especially the price for people who already own v1: with the full price being €100, you'd expect the upgrade price to be a bit less than €75, but it isn't. Then again, considering this is actually an entirely new piece of software — and a very good one — the asking price seems more than reasonable to me.

Here's what it says on the website:
GSi VB3-II is the result of almost 15 years of study, research, experimentation and development of the simulation of a vintage Hammond B3 organ. It is the evolution of the GSi VB3 v1.x with a new sound, a new parameter set, endless possibilities of sound customization. It's not a simple update to an old software, it's a whole new product. It's based on the same sound engine that was written first for the Hamichord Organ, then for the Crumar Mojo, and is also found in the Crumar Mojo61 and in the GSi Gemini. The DSP part of VB3-II was rewritten from the ground up around 2010 and has been constantly updated during all these years by adding features and improvement suggested by many users of our hardware products. Many people requested this sound engine to be released as a software for regular computers, and here it is. Now you can have the sound of a full-featured clonewheel organ right into your computer.

Main features:
- Full polyphony (61 upper + 61 lower + 25 pedals = 147 notes)
- 91 modeled tonewheels with accurate phase synchronization
- Adjustable leakage noise and cross modulation between tonewheels
- A total of 22 different tonewheel generators to choose from
- Generator shaping for a total of 154 generator combinations
- Adjustable global tuning from 430 to 450 Hz
- Foldback on 16" deactivatable
- Complex wheels
- Resistor wiring with multiple options
- Realistic “run” motor wow & flutter
- Busbars and 9 key contact simulation
- Two separate sets of drawbars per manual
- Full "inverted octave" presets
- String Bass with adjustable release time
- Loudness "robbing" effect
- Single triggered percussion with natural capacitor discharge/recharge
- Adjustable Percussion Level & Decay
- Vibrato/Chorus virtual scanner
- Adjustable Vibrato Scanner depth & mix
- Separated Upper and Lower V/C tablets with smooth switching
- Dynamic tube overdrive simulation
- Digital stereo reverb
- Rotary speaker simulation with virtual microphone positioning
- Rotors "Front Stop" brake position
- Very low CPU consumption
- Advanced MIDI Learn function with import/export of custom mappings
- Upper and Lower manuals SPLIT with adjustable split point
- Adjustable output level
- Supports pedal sustain
- Custom programmer with import/export of Programs and Banks
- and more

_

EvilDragon

Re: Genuine Software / VB3 II

Post by EvilDragon »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Jul 18, 2018 2:18 amwhich for a looooong time seemed destined to spend its entire life as a 32-bit plugin
Perhaps on Mac. It's been 64-bit on Windows for a while :)

In any case, v2 is better in nearly every aspect. I kinda miss the Farfisa and Vox "tonewheel modes" in v2, but no matter, Martinic's free plugins sort that out (well, Arturia bought them out and built upon them, but the original freebies are still available on the Interwebs).
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Bought it. 2 hours ago. And I agree: tone-wise, it hasn't lost anything of what made v1 so special. Terrific update.
(And the AU is a different one than the VB3 v1, which means I can still load up the previous version too in case I want the Farfisa or the Vox models.)

_

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

You should definitely check out the Martinic freebies - they are actually better than what VB3 v1 had.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... _F&id=1365
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... _V&id=1004

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

EvilDragon wrote: Jul 18, 2018 9:04 am You should definitely check out the Martinic freebies - they are actually better than what VB3 v1 had.

I don't think they are still available. They are not on the Martinic site.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

I am downloading the demo to compare it with the B5.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Ashermusic wrote: Jul 18, 2018 10:49 am
EvilDragon wrote: Jul 18, 2018 9:04 am You should definitely check out the Martinic freebies - they are actually better than what VB3 v1 had.

I don't think they are still available. They are not on the Martinic site.
They are still available on the site linked above (which is perfectly legit as far as I know).

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

OK, I am comparing this to the B5 V2.2 it is tricky to match the settings since the GUIs are very different. I think that if I owned neither, I do like the VB 3 II a smidge better, but not much.

www.jayasher.com

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Yes, those are both great. Thanks!
(And they both have what I wish the VB3 would have too: the option to detune notes.)

_

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Love ‘em, but one of them (I think it’s the Vox) no longer seems to work in my 64 bit El Cap system last time I tried it, but will work in VEP @32 bit. Just another great thing VEP does for me-man, I love that software.

As far as the VB3 ll, it sounds great, but for the amount of Hammond tracks I do, it’s hard to justify spending any money when the alternatives I have are plenty good enough.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin