There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Heavyocity Forzo Modern Brass

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Heavyocity Forzo Modern Brass

Post by Guy Rowland »

Details here - https://heavyocity.com/product/forzo/

$399 introductory discount, $549 RRP.

Stixman

Re: Heavyocity Forzo Modern Brass

Post by Stixman »

Wow....i've got Novo so definately very interested but....i have all of the Arks!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

One thing that might not be immediately obvious is that there's no legato, which I think will be a dealbreaker for some, especially at that price point. Its a great tone for the growly stuff and I like the sound of the effects, but in the end its a fairly easy pass for me.

NoamL

Post by NoamL »

same, easy pass although I didn't say anything on the VIC thread cause I didn't want to be a downer. Look at DJ's walkthrough at 1:20

That's a really weak top end. Reminded me of Auddict Octohorn which is one purchase I wish I could take back. The dynamic range seems limited on all the other instruments too, sounding like 3 or maybe even only 2 layers were recorded. The sound design stuff sounds great but has the "Heavyocity fingerprint" on it; I don't like my orchestra sounding like a developer (not so much of a problem with sound design / trailer fx, I love their percussion for instance). I like the low end brass & REALLY dig the a4 contra-tbone ensemble, but if I had to get that sound I'd buy Performance Samples Caspian. Same drawbacks (no legato, 3 mics) but half the price.

Overall the library reminds me of NOVO, in that the REAL selling feature of the library is not the bread & butter stuff but rather the large number of unique articulations that no other developer bothered with, but of course they're not going to say no on a forum if someone asks "can this be my main strings/brass?" yes, yes it can, give us your $400 ;)

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Sure is a love fest over on VI. Rhapsodic, even.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

NoamL wrote: Aug 24, 2018 2:38 pmOverall the library reminds me of NOVO, in that the REAL selling feature of the library is not the bread & butter stuff but rather the large number of unique articulations that no other developer bothered with, but of course they're not going to say no on a forum if someone asks "can this be my main strings/brass?" yes, yes it can, give us your $400 ;)
Indeed. I thought "gimme the fx / odd artics, skip the rest".

playz123

Post by playz123 »

I see some interesting features I wouldn’t mind having, but once again for me it comes down to considering need and content vs. cost. Even with the NOVO discount, this library ends up costing $460 CAN and I just can’t justify spending that much money on a ‘speciality’ library. So it’s a pass for me too, even if my main reason may not be the same as others.
Frank E. Lancaster

Quasar

Post by Quasar »

Guy Rowland wrote: Aug 24, 2018 5:46 pm
Indeed. I thought "gimme the fx / odd artics, skip the rest".
Perhaps they will do this, similar to the way much more inexpensive NOVO Packs 01 & 02 were released. I have NP01, & I'd quite possibly be interested in something like that.

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

They will come out with smaller packs in the coming months, but probably new/different arts and patterns.

Personally I really like this, but considering I can already get close to this with what I have (Con Motto, CineBrass, Ark 1) it would have to be on sale at a deeper discount. I’m still waiting for Novo to go on sale at half price. Got the cheaper packs when they were on sale and used he first one in a film almost instantly. Some great scratchy pad strings like evos that played great through much of the film. Convinced me I could use Novo, but $550, even $400, is steep for what comes down to string fx or pads for me.

I really hoping sometime down the line Heavyocity will pair up with VSTbuzz and offer the Main Novo and Forzo bundle at 80% off... would still be $220 for both! ;) perhaps in late 2020?

NoamL

Post by NoamL »

VSTBuzz/AudioPluginDeals is a garage sale for libraries that failed commercially... at least that's my impression... you will never see flagship libraries on there! Of course that doesn't mean the samples are bad, I still have picked up a few things from there from smaller developers. But I doubt you will ever see 8dio, Heavyocity, Spitfire etc over 80% off sales. That would just instantly kill their business. Why buy now when you can wait for the fire sale?

Quasar

Post by Quasar »

NoamL wrote: Aug 25, 2018 2:25 pm VSTBuzz/AudioPluginDeals is a garage sale for libraries that failed commercially... at least that's my impression... you will never see flagship libraries on there! Of course that doesn't mean the samples are bad, I still have picked up a few things from there from smaller developers. But I doubt you will ever see 8dio, Heavyocity, Spitfire etc over 80% off sales. That would just instantly kill their business. Why buy now when you can wait for the fire sale?
To as great extent, true. But some respected developers have put well-regarded products on sale at these outlets, devs who seem to have (from my POV at least) a more proletariat, less precocious attitude about "protecting their brand" that I find appealing: Soundiron, Impact Soundworks, Embertone & Fluffy Audio come to mind. EastWest has even used these as a venue for their constant sales-based marketing approach.

Other developers carefully cultivate an elitist, high-end aura, & would probably rather slash their wrists than ever have one of their products associated with the warehouse outlets. I can't imagine Spitfire or OT, for example, doing this. But as the market continues to saturate and the climate becomes ever more fiercely competitive, that could change...

Yasin Yavuz

Post by Yasin Yavuz »

NoamL wrote: Aug 25, 2018 2:25 pm VSTBuzz/AudioPluginDeals is a garage sale for libraries that failed commercially... at least that's my impression... you will never see flagship libraries on there! Of course that doesn't mean the samples are bad, I still have picked up a few things from there from smaller developers. But I doubt you will ever see 8dio, Heavyocity, Spitfire etc over 80% off sales. That would just instantly kill their business. Why buy now when you can wait for the fire sale?
8dio is selling some of their libraries for $30 now. I remember Spitfire and Orchestral Tools had no sales policy at the beginning. This is a tough business and every developer starts to beg for money at one point with various tactics like constant sales, re-releasing same samples, preorders, paid reviews etc.

aaversa

Post by aaversa »

I can't speak for other companies, but I can say for ISW that products we've offered via VSTBuzz and APD have been among our best sellers. I do not believe in the philosophy of permanently gating value-minded customers from our catalog. There are people who cannot afford to make premium purchases - students, hobbyists, aspiring pros - and are perfectly fine with saving their dollars for the right deal. I'm happy to cater to these customers with periodic, selected deals for instruments they might not otherwise be able to afford.
Andrew Aversa - Owner, Lead Developer of Impact Soundworks

heisenberg

Post by heisenberg »

aaversa wrote: Sep 02, 2018 9:53 pmI can't speak for other companies, but I can say for ISW that products we've offered via VSTBuzz and APD have been among our best sellers. I do not believe in the philosophy of permanently gating value-minded customers from our catalog. There are people who cannot afford to make premium purchases - students, hobbyists, aspiring pros - and are perfectly fine with saving their dollars for the right deal. I'm happy to cater to these customers with periodic, selected deals for instruments they might not otherwise be able to afford.
I concur. The Ventus sale recently is an apt example of this kind of offer. The Shakuhachi library on its own was absolutely worth the price of the admission on this sale and the entire Ventus library could be had for a very low price. I had spent my budget that month so I took a pass but I intend on purchasing that whole library in the future.

Thanks for arranging this and similar high quality deals. Puts inspiring and decent instruments in the hands of many that may not be able to afford them.

Cheers.
Andrew Stone