There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

omnisphere 2.5 released

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
GR Baumann

omnisphere 2.5 released

Post by GR Baumann »

Topic author
GR Baumann

Re: omnisphere 2.5 released

Post by GR Baumann »

Topic author
GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

tack

Post by tack »

Thanks for the heads up :)
- Jason

catsass

Post by catsass »

My first reaction after installing the update and opening Omnisphere v2.5, "I can see, by cracky!"

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

That granular waveform view is a big surprise - not in the betas. Looks much more useful, I look forward to trying it later.

EDIT - I see on KVR, some are having problems with the auto update thing. General advice seems to be to do it manually, then afterwards run auto update to fix a couple of Moog tribute patches which can’t be done any other way.

Quasar

Post by Quasar »

Watched the 43 minute presentation, and I have to admit it's pretty damned impressive, especially for a free update.

Four layers per patch, granular layout and the new sound sources & patches seem waaaaay cool. I'm fine with the current UI and the hw synth integration doesn't affect me. I continue to believe that Omnisphere is arguably the single greatest achievement in the history of VIs, and one of the relatively few software products in its price range that require no justification for the cost. If anything, it's undervalued IMHO. You get so bloody much....

TFM_Joost

Post by TFM_Joost »

I have it, and the Novation Peak. This stuff is game changing guys. The integration is truly mindblowing. Mine is a pretty deep synth, but everything just appears in Omnisphere and it actually sounds like my Peak. It's really mindblowing stuff that Omnisphere becomes a host for your synth, but then with the updated power of Omni itself. It really puts Omnisphere a huge step above the rest, if it already wasn't.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Good to hear TJM. I was having some real fun with my Lemur tests, and it seemed to work great. The new wavetables and patches are a fantastic addition. Very quick off the mark with the addition of the Prophet X, I see. And that new granular view is a huge improvement, will make a tangible difference in use, its far easier to figure out what is going on.

Guy's Predictable Comment Corner

Less of a fan of the tagging. Over 1000 new Hardware Profile patches on 30 synths, only 4 have model tags, only 2 of those appear to be correct and one of those only has 2 out of 45 patches tagged. I mean... sheesh. I'd also rather not have confusing 4 letter acronyms in the patch names which feels a throwback to synths of yesteryear, but instead, well, use tags like everything else. This bit is a step backwards.

EDIT - while I'm gracelessly moaning, those new synth categories. Synth Bass, Synth Long, Synth Mono, Synth Poly, Synth Short. And don't forget - you can only choose ONE. FFS. If you have a distorted retro bass synth plucked arp, there are no less than 7 categories that they could live in. It drives me nuts - USE FRICKIN TAGS PROPERLY SPECTRASONICS!

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Mind-boggling update. (Haven't downloaded it yet, but the mind started being boggled halfway through Eric's presentation video.)

Topic author
GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

Question remains, where can I borrow that Rig for say... 10 years or so? ;)

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

GR Baumann wrote: Aug 31, 2018 2:31 am Question remains, where can I borrow that Rig for say... 10 years or so? ;)
That actually hits the nail on the head. The demo is definitely drool-worthy, and some of the specific tricks are really nice. But until someone FOR THE LOVE OF GOD develops a universal synth controller with really clear dynamic labels and graphics, the best most of us mortals can hope for is only a tiny fraction of the potential.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Not ideal (I really like your description Guy) but I am considering one or more of the Stereoping controllers and programmers. They'd be much better if they were dynamic, since I can really only control one synth at a time, and I've had conversations with them about this, but so far to no avail.

Still worth a look maybe?

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

2.5.1d has just been released. A few enhancements inc sample drag and drop onto the granular window: