There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

R.I.P. Glen Frey

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Lawrence

R.I.P. Glen Frey

Post by Lawrence »

Founding member of the Eagles dead at 67. Sheesh.

He and Don Henley were as prolific and profitable songwriters as Lennon McCartney. Not as creative (though the Desperado album is conceptually interesting and quintessentially American) but thoughtful, tuneful and boy, could they sing.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Re: R.I.P. Glen Frey

Post by Ashermusic »

For me personally, this hits harder than Bowie, even though I recognize Bowie is considered the more "important" musician.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

kpc

Post by kpc »

damn. One of my favorites.
- kayle

Aesthete

Post by Aesthete »

Someone once told me the music life takes off 15 years. I think I believe him now. RIP

mickeyl

Post by mickeyl »

Sad.
Cheers,

Dr. Michael Lauer – My Music

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Glenn Frey, David Bowie, Mic Gillette - all of this is hitting me hard.

My introduction to the Eagles was "On the Border" - I had heard tunes from their first two albums, but this one opened my ears! The local "progressive" FM station used to do a feature called "LP on Q" every night, they would play an entire album with no interruptions, designed for tapers (they even provided a Dobly alignment tone at the start!). We now know this is bad, but in the early 1970s people weren't thinking about it as much - probably because a week after you taped the album you probably bought a copy?

Anyway, that led me back to the first two albums, and Desparado still stands tall as a brilliant accomplishment to me. Being a guitarist how could I resist all those guitar parts???

The Eagles were also the first big concert I was allowed to drive to with my friends... a milestone I think. Boz Scaggs opened, and the entire show was fantastic.

So yeah, this is really sad news... my condolences to his friends and family!

Aesthete

Post by Aesthete »

This version of Desperado gets me every time Bill. I also have very fond memories of working on the filming of the movie. James

wst3 wrote:Glenn Frey, David Bowie, Mic Gillette - all of this is hitting me hard.

My introduction to the Eagles was "On the Border" - I had heard tunes from their first two albums, but this one opened my ears! The local "progressive" FM station used to do a feature called "LP on Q" every night, they would play an entire album with no interruptions, designed for tapers (they even provided a Dobly alignment tone at the start!). We now know this is bad, but in the early 1970s people weren't thinking about it as much - probably because a week after you taped the album you probably bought a copy?

Anyway, that led me back to the first two albums, and Desparado still stands tall as a brilliant accomplishment to me. Being a guitarist how could I resist all those guitar parts???

The Eagles were also the first big concert I was allowed to drive to with my friends... a milestone I think. Boz Scaggs opened, and the entire show was fantastic.

So yeah, this is really sad news... my condolences to his friends and family!