There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Dave Smith - Tom Oberheim OB-6

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Aesthete

Dave Smith - Tom Oberheim OB-6

Post by Aesthete »

Matt mentioned this in his Maxibrute thread, passing on the link info.
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/201 ... announced/

kpc

Re: Dave Smith - Tom Oberheim OB-6

Post by kpc »

I've attend one NAMM show in my life - when I was about 15. It was in Chicago and that year Yamaha introduced the DX-7 (the guys from Toto were there to do the demo) and Oberheim had the OB-8. Man, I wanted an OB-8 on the worse way. And the DM-X and I forget what the Sequencer was called. But I wanted it all. They gave out flimsy vinyl record demos and I played that a million times when I got home. I saved my pennies, but never enough to cover the $10k or something like that for the system.

I'm not at NAMM this year, but maybe I can finally get my Oberheim OB :)
- kayle

Topic author
Aesthete

Post by Aesthete »

Hi Kayle.

The sequencer was called the DSX and was part of "The Oberheim System". We had one of the first Oberheim system's at Unique Recording in New York City and it got used by allot of artists and even inspired the name of a New York band, David Frank's The System.

kpc

Post by kpc »

Yup - That's what I wanted. I told my parents I was going to save up, not realizing how many Years of allowance it would take. :D

(I love Sting's quote on the lit! And still think the company logo is great)
- kayle

Erik

Post by Erik »

Oh yeah, she is sooo sexy I'm beginning to cheat on my fantasy of possessing a Pro6. Well, P6 failed in exciting me when I played her numerous hours a couple o' times in a store - I insisted though, convinced I was the problem rather than the machine. Just the poor YT demos make me smile much more than the real P6 and I guess it's all in the filter.
"I'm using more black notes now and there are a lot of chords in the last album, too" Vince Clarke -1986

Topic author
Aesthete

Post by Aesthete »

yah, the Rev 1/2 Prophet 5 SSM filter is really the best (Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, Richard Barbieri, John Carpenter, etc). There is always something that left me cold on the Curtis filter on the Rev 3 Prophet and yes the Prophet 6 as well.

I think the OB-6 sounds quite close to the 8, especially in Inhalt's video. But one of the magic things about the OB-8 was being being able to set the voice board pans individually to get a beautiful stereo spread. I do not think the orange LED's match the vintage pin strip look of the OB-8 at all, and a 4 octave keyboard for a poly is useless to me.

I can get most of my Oberheim sounds in Diva, Matrix 12V, OB-X, OBXD, and Retrosynth. The last two being free.
https://obxd.wordpress.com/