There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Native Instruments Discovery Series India

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Yasin Yavuz

Native Instruments Discovery Series India

Post by Yasin Yavuz »

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... tic/india/

PERCUSSION
Dhol: A double-sided barrel drum, with one skin tuned high and the other low. The drum is often worn by the player and played with two sticks, one in each hand.
Dholak: A double-sided barrel drum, similar to the Dhol, but smaller in size and played with hands.
Ghatam: A clay pot, played with the fingers, thumbs, and palms to produce a variety of sounds.
Kanjira: A frame drum with metal 'jingles', similar to the western tambourine.
Khol: A double-sided drum, played with the hands, with one side much smaller than the other.
Mridangam: A double-sided drum, similar to the Dholak. Traditionally it is played while sitting on the floor, with the drum partially resting on the player's leg.
Pakhawaj: A close relative to the Mridangam, with a lower, more resonant tone.
Tabla: A pair of hand drums, one small and one large. The larger drum has a distinctive tonal sound, the pitch of which can be manipulated by the player.

MELODIC
Bansuri: A transverse flute, traditionally made from bamboo.
Harmonium: A portable reed organ, powered by hand-pumped bellows.
Santur: A metal-stringed hammered dulcimer.
Sitar: A plucked stringed instrument, with a distinctive tone produced by its sympathetic strings and resonant, gourd-shaped body.
Tanpura: A large plucked string instrument. The purpose of the Tanpura is to produce a constant, non-rhythmic drone.
Tumbi: A small, high-pitched, plucked string instrument, with only a single string.

TheUnfinished

Re: Native Instruments Discovery Series India

Post by TheUnfinished »

I have the West Africa one, which is very good. So I expect this to be decent quality too.

Topic author
Yasin Yavuz

Post by Yasin Yavuz »

It looks better than West Africa. I liked interface and script for scales and midis. A good reason for upgrading to Komplete 11 :)

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yasin Yavuz wrote:A good reason for upgrading to Komplete 11 :)
We need a few, don't we? Ultimate won't have the Symphonic series in it, and it's a little threadbare otherwise - there's a handful of products, but nothing too exciting. Reaktor 6 is there of course, and let's hope the rumours are true and Kontakt 6 will join it. March is reckoned to be the most likely release date.

I haven't used West Africa much, but it was very well done - like Matt, I expect this to be too.

Topic author
Yasin Yavuz

Post by Yasin Yavuz »

Guy Rowland wrote:We need a few, don't we? Ultimate won't have the Symphonic series in it, and it's a little threadbare otherwise - there's a handful of products, but nothing too exciting. Reaktor 6 is there of course, and let's hope the rumours are true and Kontakt 6 will join it. March is reckoned to be the most likely release date.

I haven't used West Africa much, but it was very well done - like Matt, I expect this to be too.
Yeah, I know. For now Emotive Strings, Strummed Acoustic, Una Corda and India are new libraries which will most likely be included. Probably there will be a few more libraries/synths with Reaktor 6 and Kontakt 6.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Been meaning to ask you, Yasin, what do you think of the (Persian?) strings in Silk? I know they're limited, but I've always liked the sound.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Yasin Yavuz

Post by Yasin Yavuz »

Lawrence wrote:Been meaning to ask you, Yasin, what do you think of the (Persian?) strings in Silk? I know they're limited, but I've always liked the sound.
Besides having microtuning script Silk and Ra instruments are not close enough to real instruments, mate. You can use them to add a bit flavour but you won't convince any eastern musician/composer. Everytime I heard that ugly Oud (even at some high budget films/games) from Ra it annoyed me. Problem with making ethnic instrument libraries is you need good musicians who know both eastern and western music but also familiar with sample libraries. I immediately understand if developer doesn't hire musicians like that. For example I was really surprised when I saw all instruments in World Percussion 2 were performed by just one Australian musician:

But he nailed everything. There are articulations/techniques in this library you won't find anywhere else.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Yep, I figured that was the case. Not being an Eastern musician, I do use them for flavor. For the record though, I was only talking about string ensemble/orchestra patch.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Yasin Yavuz

Post by Yasin Yavuz »

Yeah, I went a bit off-topic. If EW could use that microtuning script for Hollywood Strings, it would sound much better :)