There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Octohorn French Horns

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
playz123

Octohorn French Horns

Post by playz123 »

A new french horn library I've just discovered...
Auddict, post: 3936494, member: 11859 wrote:We are very proud to release the first part of our brass library - Octohorn, featuring seven mic positions, plus a wide array of tools and implemented techniques to achieve the most sonic-ally deep and true sound possible...

http://auddict.com/octohorn.html

More demos and walkthrough videos to come soon!

Frank E. Lancaster

Guy Rowland

Re: Octohorn French Horns

Post by Guy Rowland »

It's a good price and a nice tone, but considering it has fast legato, the fast playing on the 2nd demo on their site was sadly unconvincing. Do want to like it though, a new developer and some new ideas in approach there.

Topic author
playz123

Post by playz123 »

You may be interested in listening to the first walkthrough of this library. It should give listeners a much clearer idea of what is possible and what isn't. Overall, I'm liking what I hear, but as always, I expect some you here will wish to dissect it in greater depth. :)
Auddict, post: 3936688, member: 11859 wrote:First quick video walkthrough, more to come!
Frank E. Lancaster

Yasin Yavuz

Post by Yasin Yavuz »

I see it as a hit and miss. It has only two dynamics, which are not enough for realism. It doesn't have that buzzy brassy sound even at highest dynamics. Marcato is an important articulation for brass imo and looks like they didn't record it.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yes, hit and miss sums it up well, doesn't it? 7 mics but no dynamics above mf is a curious production choice. On the main legato patch, I was very aware of the built in dynamic swell that lasts just under a second - fine at first but quickly sounds robotic. But the tone - up to that mf brick wall - is lovely. And here those fast transitions seemed to work much better than the demo - there's something odd about them, but it's a brave effort and it would be an asset to have these.

Topic author
playz123

Post by playz123 »

Actually my first concern was the short articulations, but the latest demo they posted today suggests they can be more 'crisp' than first thought. As for the dynamics, well, while they might not be as wide as one might wish, I feel there's enough there to use this library effectively. There are things I do like, so in spite of some initial (minor?) problems, I still think I would find value in this library. The price seems fair as well. Won't really know more until I buy it and test it for myself. But if anyone has purchased it and cares to share their impressions, I for one would be interested in hearing them.
Frank E. Lancaster

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

I can't follow the trend to bigger sampled horn sections. I could understand it when there is a live orchestra in Wagner size. But in sample world the bigger sections doesn't really sound bigger. Nothing what a 4 horn sample section couldn't do. It's just less flexible and more wishy washy. Just my 2 cent.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I find myself reasonably satisfied with HB and SsmpleModeling French horns. Unlike strings, where I'm reasonably sure I'll never be satiated, I'm okay in the French horn department.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin