There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Another iZotope free product (til 10th March) - DDLY Dynamic Delay

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Another iZotope free product (til 10th March) - DDLY Dynamic Delay

Post by Guy Rowland »

Sounds like its conceptually a bit different. Here's the blurb:
DDLY Dynamic Delay responds to your track's musical dynamics to create versatile and intriguing delays. It's a one-of-a-kind effects plug-in that delays the signal differently depending on the character of the sound, without turning your track to aural mud. Adjust the threshold to split your signal based on transients, then send it down two separate analog or granular delay paths.

Get a cleaner, more complex sound than a traditional full-signal delay plug-in with DDLY!

$49 after March 10.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/eff ... mic-delay/

Marius

Re: Another iZotope free product (til 10th March) - DDLY Dynamic Delay

Post by Marius »

The low-contrast interface is a bit of a pain to look at but the concept is awesome. I'll be trying it out for sure, though I've been getting a ton of mileage out of NI's Replika lately.
Marius Masalar | http://mariusmasalar.me

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

It works very nicely on 1/8T.

playz123

Post by playz123 »

It does indeed "work", RK, but then again how much I will ever use it is 'the question'. :) In any case, I'm with Marius re. the interface......I'm not fond of it at all. But it and Vinyl are free, so I'll just say a sincere thanks to Izotope and leave it at that for now.
Frank E. Lancaster

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

Sorry FEL, I often talk in riddles but I'm not going to be drawn into talking about a GUI as if it were more important than the results from the effect. I left that dubious pleasure for elsewhere on the interweb.
Perhaps one question for you. Do you understand why or where such an effect is useful?

-

Edit: Adding to my latest riddle with an actual quick example using DDLY
It's on the 2 bus just to show how this delay (in fact any delay effect) can help the drive on a track and I've obviously put a little extra on just to highlight.

Another Day by my friend Tony the Greek.

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Re. your question, Ray.....you are kidding...right? I think after over 50 years in the music business, I know what delay is and how to use it. My statement simply meant that I wasn't sure how much I would use this one. I have others. I also never suggested the interface was more important than the plugin....I simply said I wasn't fond of it. Felt those were legitimate comments that didn't require further explanation, but I guess not. In any case, I will refrain from adding anymore to this discussion, thus avoiding any further misunderstanding. Cheers.
Frank E. Lancaster

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

I'm with you Frank. I simply don't need it with all the other great delays I have. But it is nice of them to give it away for free.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Aesthete

Post by Aesthete »

Here is some tips on creating synth delay with it. (corrected link)
https://www.izotope.com/en/community/bl ... mic-delay/

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Frank, I read Ray's comment as specific to this slightly funky split effect that DDLY can do, based on transients etc. To that end, I thought it a fair question - I don't know yet quite how or where I'd use it, compared to a regular delay. I'm in a slightly manic / holiday / manic phase at the mo, looking forward to mucking around with it in a couple of weeks when the dust has settled.

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Cheers, Guy. Just FYI then....Actually there are at least three tips and tutorials on using this delay on the Izotope web site, and yes, I did play around with it quite a lot, with synths, drums and vocals. Here's a link to that in case you missed it:

https://www.izotope.com/en/community/bl ... tutorials/

Hope the link works, since the one posted above by Aesthete doesn't seem to lead anywhere on the site.
Yes, that split effect is 'interesting', but again it's not something I might use on a regular basis or need. That's not to suggest it wouldn't be perfect for some one else. Certainly nothing wrong with the quality either. Like Vinyl, it was fun to experiment with it, but probably won't need it very much, and there is at least one thing I can do in another way without it.

And a tip of the old Lancaster hat to Jay as well! :)
Frank E. Lancaster

Aesthete

Post by Aesthete »

Looks like they pulled the old change the url trick. Go to Franks link or I corrected the one above.
playz123 wrote:Cheers, Guy. Just FYI then....Actually there are at least three tips and tutorials on using this delay on the Izotope web site, and yes, I did play around with it quite a lot, with synths, drums and vocals. Here's a link to that in case you missed it:

https://www.izotope.com/en/community/bl ... tutorials/

Hope the link works, since the one posted above by Aesthete doesn't seem to lead anywhere on the site.
Yes, that split effect is 'interesting', but again it's not something I might use on a regular basis or need. That's not to suggest it wouldn't be perfect for some one else. Certainly nothing wrong with the quality either. Like Vinyl, it was fun to experiment with it, but probably won't need it very much, and there is at least one thing I can do in another way without it.

And a tip of the old Lancaster hat to Jay as well! :)

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks Frank and James - might find an occasional use for the tricks. UVI's Relayer is terrific - if CPU hungry - for really designed stuff, though I'm still envious of Logic's elegant Delay Designer. But for free, this looks like a splendid bit of kit.