There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

RIP Prince

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
kpc

RIP Prince

Post by kpc »

I wasn't a huge Prince fan, but I enjoyed some of his work, and the couple interviews I saw with him, he was well spoken, intelligent and very interesting.

And at 57, simply too young.

http://variety.com/2016/music/news/prin ... 201758325/
- kayle

Lawrence

Re: RIP Prince

Post by Lawrence »

He played everything, he was a great soul singer when he wanted to be, he wrote an unbelievable amount of stuff though his catalogue was uneven, he absorbed and honored both James Brown and Jimi Hendrix and straddled the rock and funk worlds for years. A small statured giant, gone far too early.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

One of the most spectacular talents in pop music history, way too young to die. Greatly saddened.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Lawrence wrote:A (...) giant.
Absolutely. Phenomenal musician with a handful of masterful and indestructible albums to his name.
His unannounced after-party concerts in Brussels, during the 90's and later, are the stuff of local legend and still bring tears to the eyes of those who were present. And there's going to be a lot of tears brought to the eyes all over the world, I imagine.

Another irreplaceable loss.
What a year this is.

_

Topic author
kpc

Post by kpc »

I knew he was immensely talented and very well regarded, he just never made my radar for some reason. I know a few of his Pop hits, but nothing from he deep catalog. I will have to spend some time getting to know his work better.
- kayle

Killiard

Post by Killiard »

So sad about his passing. I grew up listening to Prince so much in the eighties - my mum would blast it out of the hifi all the time. He was part of my musical upbringing. Truly unique.

givemenoughrope

Post by givemenoughrope »

Not a fan but I'm freaked out that he died so young. Also, just generally bummed since he was a great musician/producer.

Farkle

Post by Farkle »

RIP Prince. My high school bar bands covered a half dozen of his tunes, and I stayed with him, through his various incarnations. An immensely talented performer and artist; just... I'm going to miss his tunes. His last couple of albums were showing some really neat, fresh sides to him.

I'm going to miss the new music that we'll never get to hear.

Mike
Mike Worth

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

On the plus side Mike, I believe he has hundreds if not thousands of hours of unreleased recorded material in his archives.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

playz123

Post by playz123 »

So far a lot of questions remain. Yes, totally unexpected and shocking, so hope some of those questions are answered in the days ahead. He was extremely talented, his music impacted many over the years, and he will be missed. Gone far too soon.
Frank E. Lancaster

Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

Really admired everything I ever heard about that guy's work ethic, and how he kept himself out of trouble with drugs, scandals, etc. I have a feeling some of his unreleased stuff was more experimental, for some reason, and I wouldn't mind hearing it someday. Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing it, experimental or not. An old girl-friend turned me onto him a long time ago, over my initial objections, but it turned out the guy was obviously one hell of a good musician. I couldn't help but be pretty damn impressed by him... once I got past my "fear of his androgyny", or something, lol.

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

One of the few guys really deserved the status "Superstar". Really sad! r.i.p.