There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Boom Library 'Turbine' / sound-design

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Boom Library 'Turbine' / sound-design

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Boom Library, long known for their professional, ultra-high-quality collections of sound-design samples, have released their first plug-in Turbine, a “a revolutionary sound design plug-in that gives you access to a wide range of authentic virtual engines based on their real-world counterparts. You can change and automate all parameters in real-time, giving you full control over the final result. A starter set of over 50 highly versatile presets give you the power to manufacture entirely new sounds, such as wooshes, pressure releases, robotics, sirens, musical fx, sci-fi elements, futuristic engines, flame bursts, industrial sounds, home appliances, …"

Now available fo €149. VST, AU, AAX. Requires iLok.

_

soundbylaura

Re: Boom Library 'Turbine' / sound-design

Post by soundbylaura »

I'm not sure this particular library is up my alley but I very much look forward to more Kontakt instruments from Boom.
Be an upstander.

trumpoz

Post by trumpoz »

That looks like a fantastic plugin. I have absolutely no use for it but it looks great nonetheless
Richard Linton

I'm just a guy who plays and writes music.

I suffer from G.A.S. - Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Kuusniemi

Post by Kuusniemi »

Love the concept. Interesting to see what Boom Library can do with it other than jet engines.

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

I must confess, at first I thought this to be a prank, watching the trailer and the hoover at the end convinced me.

Looks like I was wrong. LOL :)

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

With my sound designer / dubbing mixer head on, this looks absolutely brilliant. A lot of these kinds of sounds are surprisingly hard to come by - controllable start up / shut down whines especially. Not exactly a must-have for music though?

Thorsten Meyer

Post by Thorsten Meyer »

I did give it several hours, it is great for sound design and getting those sounds that are hard to get. Everything can be fit easily into Science Fiction plots as well.

byzantium

Post by byzantium »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jan 11, 2018 5:44 am Not exactly a must-have for music though?
Might be good for garage music. Boom Boom.

I hear there is a genre called Noise Rock...

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Huh, so there's a free 7 day trial.... what fun. Sounds fantastic, and flying the stuff around is a hoot.

Surprisingly - staggeringly in fact - there appears to be no way to control this other than with a mouse. Keys do nothing, nor is there any way of mapping any midi CC. So all you can do is play around with the mouse while automation-recording in the DAW, then edit the automation to make it do what you need.

I think there are much better tools out there if you're after musical / noisy risers / whooshes etc, but if just turbines are your thing, its clearly in a league of its own.

paoling

Post by paoling »

Finally an instrument where the word "engine" is not used inappropriately.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

paoling wrote: Jan 11, 2018 1:53 pm Finally an instrument where the word "engine" is not used inappropriately.
Boom Boom!

(this is only a clever line if you're British and of a certain age)

byzantium

Post by byzantium »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jan 12, 2018 4:12 am Boom Boom!
(this is only a clever line if you're British and of a certain age)
Not British and used it above before you! :)

(Apparently as I discovered this morning, it means something else for sex tourists in Thailand...)

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jan 12, 2018 4:12 am (this is only a clever line if you're British and of a certain age)
The Brits have clever lines? :D

byzantium

Post by byzantium »

GR Baumann wrote: Jan 12, 2018 7:16 am The Brits have clever lines? :D
This from a German? :)

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

byzantium wrote: Jan 12, 2018 7:30 am
GR Baumann wrote: Jan 12, 2018 7:16 am The Brits have clever lines? :D
This from a German? :)
Part German.

Usually you can stick a piece of charcoal up their.... where the sun doesn't shine... wait 5 minutes and you get a diamond back. :D

...the Germans that is! LOL

byzantium

Post by byzantium »

You know Henning Wehn - now there's a funny German comedian. However, we'd better get back on topic... Sorry, all !

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

This is an interesting library, but there are a few issues. As mentioned control is one. The second is many of the sounds can get sythetic sounding. They have a demo of a siren, but doesn't quite cut it. So for things that are not a turbine, I have yet to hear something that works better than sfx samples. Also, for what it is, it's a bit overpriced. I suppose it's typical for boom, since most of their sfx sell for double what the going rate is (the 8Dio of sfx ;) )

Coming from a sfx person who also works as a composer, it's a bit like someone releasing a totally controllable triangle- yes you can do so much, but it's still a triangle for $200. I suppose buying a real triangle is a bit cheaper, but that still doesn't mean I'm going to use more triangle once I spend this kind of money. Then again if I had a movie or show based on a plane or a triangle player.... ;)

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yes, echoes my thoughts X. Its great fun and great is of use for specific timings to picture. I’m sure clever folks can get some more musical / sound design use out of it. But I’m glad I trialled... when it’s $59 in a sale I’ll add it to the arsenal.

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jan 12, 2018 9:51 am Yes, echoes my thoughts X. Its great fun and great is of use for specific timings to picture. I’m sure clever folks can get some more musical / sound design use out of it. But I’m glad I trialled... when it’s $59 in a sale I’ll add it to the arsenal.
My thoughts exactly. Though I'll probably wait until I have a project that can use it for even the trial, since the presets could (hopefully) expand with time. Perhaps by next BF Boom will rethink the pricetag, then a half off sale might bring it in the ball park ($50-60). ;)

Erik

Post by Erik »

About control : reading the thread on VIC, the dev clearly states neither the modwheel nor the mouse has enough definition to get it right : automation is the right tool :
We need a whole lot more resolution [than modwheel]. For Thrust this is 100.000 units, compared to 127 units that a Midi controller offers. It would really sound horrible ;)
actually all parameters are accessible via automation, even (or especially) the x/y/z coordinates in the Simulator. Automation has a much higher resolution compared to midi, that is why we went this route. Automation also has a higher resolution compared to mouse input, so automating stuff is highly recommended here...
Obviously it's not intended for music but I can see how sound designers/editors for the media will loooove this tool. :)

EDIt : well, the automation controling thing VS/ mouse is even mention in the quick start video above ;)
"I'm using more black notes now and there are a lot of chords in the last album, too" Vince Clarke -1986

Quasar

Post by Quasar »

paoling wrote: Jan 11, 2018 1:53 pm Finally an instrument where the word "engine" is not used inappropriately.
LOL! As others have said, I dig the concept, do not need these particular sounds.

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

Sounds very realistic. Believe me. I live near Frankfurt Airport.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Erik wrote: Jan 14, 2018 12:48 pmAbout control : reading the thread on VIC, the dev clearly states neither the modwheel nor the mouse has enough definition to get it right : automation is the right tool :
Or they could, ya know, program it to smooth any jumps from incoming CC.