There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

CinePiano released ($179)

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
byzantium

CinePiano released ($179)

Post by byzantium »

X-bassist

Re: CinePiano released ($179)

Post by X-bassist »

I like and own most CS products, but the close mics and the cinematic piano both sound dull, not sure why. In a mix with anything else (including a string pad) it would become difficult to hear. Not sure why so much clarity would be removed from the close mics, but the other mics and the classical mix sound good. Very strange.

I like the sampled shorts, but the piano could have used some real round robins. But I suppose they will do that in the next version with a couple of new painos added... “CinePianos”... Add another $100 for the extra “s”. ;)

Topic author
byzantium

Post by byzantium »

Good observation re the duller close mics. It does sound rather lovely in general I thought, but indeed I wonder how it might mix, and also how it might stack up versus the C7 in Keyscape for example (which I don't have).

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I'm so not in the market for this, but from a quick glance it looks like a different market to Keyscape - this is a scoring piano, right? I definitely wouldn't use Keyscape for scoring. Or that much at all actually, just not crazy about the tone and there's that whole mega-super-wide thing... I don't really get the C7 hoopla.

By contrast, CInePiano sounds nice to me, but... ya know. I don't collect guitars either.

tack

Post by tack »

Nice to see it has repedalling (or catch-pedaling as it's sometimes called). In the video Mike said he wasn't aware of anyone who did that -- many libraries do support this, but I do wish those that did made a bigger deal about it.
- Jason

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

I like the sound of this. That close mic does sound a little different from the room mics but I like the sound. Hard to tell without using it.

Keyscape is a hit and miss. I am not a fan of the piano plus I just found a glitch in C#5 with pedal down on high velocity. I can hear another tone and it does stand out a little but should be no problem in a mix hopefully. Hard to believe in a Spectrasonics product but otherwise Keyscape has been fantastic so far.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

I'm loving this thing so far... the FFF shorts on the bottom end feel great.

That said - heres me running a midi file through it, with a little bit of EQ and reverb
[soundcloud][/soundcloud]

Stixman

Post by Stixman »

cannot see soundcloud link.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

I don't know why...

It's just a link to the sound cloud, the Url shouldn't be any different

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

bow the piece isn't showing up on my sound cloud, but I know I set it to public

ohh well, trying to make it easier made it harder apparently hahaha here's the dbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4xwv91255d9j ... t.mp3?dl=0

Aoiichi

Post by Aoiichi »

Interesting to see CineSamples have come out with their piano after so many years now, usually it seems to be one of the endeavours developers do first. It doesn't sound too bad at all. As others have said, it seems more clearly designed to be a scoring piano. However, even for that the tone seems quite dark- sounds more like recordings from a live classical concert, as opposed to something for a mixed soundtrack.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

that's due largely to my reverb I'd assume. I'll throw up the same example 100% dry(disabling the default reverb from the preset aswell) so that it's completely exposed.

but it's quite the compliment that you felt like it was more like a live classical concert - as the particular sound I'm trying to get is a.) willing to really hammer fff on the low end b.) Sounds like an acoustically placed instrument on the stage and c.) sounds good dry.

In this case, It's just right for me, as I'm able to throw it on a send to some reverb and blend both signals to get a "on scoring stage but mic'ed aswell" sound.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

that said, heres the link: and also that's nice because I was playing around with it, and this time I accidently left the built in reverb(I don't like to stack reverbs often) which explains the weird build up I was hearing this time but didn't earlier when I was playing around with it.

I feel like this is pretty damn dry somehow haha You can really tell from the shorts when the sustain pedal isn't held down.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr4uywp9lym8l ... y.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o5y3jgub16my ... b.mp3?dl=0

and the 2nd one is the wet version, with EQs and reverb back on(but leaving the internal reverb off, to hear the difference from the first example where I accidently left it on)

also, blended more dry in - eq and verb back on still - and I improvised a bit, to showcase what I like about it... mainly just sampled FFF feels great... my keybed might hate me for it, but I love having those massive low octave jabs. This time soundcloud is actually working

Killiard

Post by Killiard »

Thanks for that. My voucher went straight to my spam folder for some reason!

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Mine was in my in-box, and I thought it was a nice gesture. $50 is $50.

But I'm not convinced I need yet another piano.

I bought Piano in Blue as much for the historical significance of the instrument as anything else, and yet I've used it many times.

Cinepiano is a really nice sounding piano - based on the demos and videos anyway - and yet I'm just not getting excited.

Maybe I'm growing up? Maybe I'm growing jaded? Who know?

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

Keyscape seems to get praise around here

you might be growing up, but if you're satisfied take it and run... hahaha

Topic author
byzantium

Post by byzantium »

Tempting because of that $50 off, but feel a bit like Monsieur wst3! Came across this just now:

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

weird, I think he reuploaded it... that's what I linked

well if any of you want to hear what a midi sounds like tossed through it to AB let me know.