There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

NI Kontakt - update to 5.8.1[updated from 5.8.0]

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

NI Kontakt - update to 5.8.1[updated from 5.8.0]

Post by Guy Rowland »

5.8.0 is up.

ADDED The contents of the Libraries tab can now be filtered by text search
ADDED The contents of the Libraries tab can now be alphabetically sorted
IMPROVED The virtual keyboard now automatically resizes to match rack widths higher than the default
IMPROVED KSP: The maximum number of controls per control type has now been raised to 512
IMPROVED KSP: The maximum array size has now been raised to 1000000
IMPROVED KSP: get_control_par() wouldn’t work for ui_level_meter
IMPROVED KSP: One can now have up to three file selector widgets in a single script slot
IMPROVED The Manage Libraries button now launches the Libraries preferences
FIXED Default file sorting was seemingly random on APFS volumes
FIXED Some KSP UI elements would disappear when used in multiple instruments in the same rack
FIXED KSP: Kontakt would crash when attempting to build a MIDI pattern from a large while loop
FIXED Certain filters would use more memory than necessary
FIXED KSP: mf_reset() would not return an async ID

https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... 8-0.94387/

(Would so love it if they'd also improved the glacial speed of moving libraries around...)

EDIT - Over on KVR, Evil Dragon says there is an error with Kontakt 5.8.0 and some very old libraries not working. Fix on the way in 5.8.1, so a good idea to hold fire for now.

ComposerGuy

Re: NI Kontakt - update to 5.8.0

Post by ComposerGuy »

"FIXED KSP: Kontakt would crash when attempting to build a MIDI pattern from a large while loop"
What would that be?
-Disclaimer: I have received free libraries from East West and several others. Don’t shoot me.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

I wonder what year Kontakt 6 will be released ? :skeptical:

tack

Post by tack »

Muziksculp wrote: Apr 11, 2018 7:22 pmI wonder what year Kontakt 6 will be released ? :skeptical:
Just moments before the heat death of the universe, I reckon.

Here's hoping this update fixes my Kontakt instability!
- Jason

tack

Post by tack »

In the meantime, I guess Kontakt 5.8 will have to suffice for my mockups of Disaster Area's greatest hits. Although I just can't help but think Kontakt 6 will do better at plutonium rock.

And speaking of which, Towel Day is just around the corner.
- Jason

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Just to remind you, Kontakt 5 was released in 2011, that's 7 years ago !

So.. How many more years for Kontakt 6 to be released, three more years to make it a decade between version numbers ? :thinking: :/ :frown: :ooo:

I have a feeling they are doing a complete re-write, or something crazy that would require this long for them to release version 6.

Maybe they will release it with Komplete 12 ? which is not too far away I think.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Anders Wall wrote: Apr 11, 2018 9:22 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Apr 11, 2018 9:01 pm Just to remind you, Kontakt 5 was released in 2011, that's 7 years ago !

So.. How many more years for Kontakt 6 to be released, three more years to make it a decade between version numbers ? :thinking: :/ :frown: :ooo:

I have a feeling they are doing a complete re-write, or something crazy that would require this long for them to release version 6.

Maybe they will release it with Komplete 12 ? which is not too far away I think.
What's in Kontakt 6 that are not in 5.8?
Best,
Anders
I have no idea what Kontakt 6 offers, but I hope it will be a HUGE improvement, and modernization of the ancient GUI. But, it is quite interesting how many Kontakt users are OK, with this amount of stagnation, and years of waiting for a new version, I'm personally not very happy about that.

Killiard

Post by Killiard »

Having just had to install Kontakt and all my libraries again on a new system, I’d be happy with a half decent way of shifting the library tabs about. You know, a way that means you don’t have to spend half an hour sllllllooowly dragging one tab from top to bottom of the list.

Besides that I’m happy with it just working efficiently. You would think that after 7 years that there must be some awesome technological improvement they could do to make it V6!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Very strongly agree Jordan, it's absurd. Who wants to arrange things alphabetically vs who wants to be able to arrange things manually faster than glacial?

As far as everything else in v6... Jason here (Tack) is convinced that there could be considerably more drive efficiency so I'd take that. Setting a streaming level per drive (like Play) would be very welcome. But I think the biggest changes should be to do with its sampling itself, being able to do a lot of the legwork via wizards for building instruments once you have samples ready to go. It seems prehistoric for the bread and butter.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Re: NI Kontakt - update to 5.8.0 [WITH WARNING]

Post by Guy Rowland »

Over on KVR, Evil Dragon says there is an error with Kontakt 5.8.0 and some very old libraries not working. Fix on the way in 5.8.1, so a good idea to hold fire for now.

tack

Post by tack »

The library tab would be vastly more usable if, apart from fixing the sorting irritations already mentioned, it allowed grouping into user folders. The ability to search is a huge improvement at least.
- Jason

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I think there should be an option to arrange in columns of three by icon, and then it expands out when you click on a library. In that sense, a bit like Kontrol (even though everything else about Kontrol is awful).

How does the searching work, do you know? Is there a search bar at the top and it searches just the library name?

tack

Post by tack »

Guy Rowland wrote: Apr 12, 2018 8:37 amHow does the searching work, do you know? Is there a search bar at the top and it searches just the library name?
Yes. It seems to just work by exact substring match. I was hoping for fuzzy search that's all the rage these days, so I could type e.g. "sfbr" to match on Spitfire Symphonic Brass, say.

Actually, something like that would be really useful to find individual patches.
- Jason

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Guy Rowland wrote: Apr 12, 2018 8:37 am I think there should be an option to arrange in columns of three by icon, and then it expands out when you click on a library. In that sense, a bit like Kontrol (even though everything else about Kontrol is awful).

How does the searching work, do you know? Is there a search bar at the top and it searches just the library name?
Oh...don’t get me started re. Kontrol! 😄 Not all bad, but a long way to go yet!
Agreed that reorganizing and dragging libraries around in the Library tab is a pain..it is my biggest beef about Kontakt, and the more libraries one has the longer it takes to drag something down. Solutions have been suggested, but I’m not sure of the answer myself. Icons? Columns? Certainly something that would allow easier access and mobility.
Frank E. Lancaster

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

playz123 wrote: Apr 12, 2018 10:48 am
Guy Rowland wrote: Apr 12, 2018 8:37 am I think there should be an option to arrange in columns of three by icon, and then it expands out when you click on a library. In that sense, a bit like Kontrol (even though everything else about Kontrol is awful).

Oh...don’t get me started re. Kontrol! 😄 Not all bad, but a long way to go yet!
Agreed that reorganizing and dragging libraries around in the Library tab is a pain..it is my biggest beef about Kontakt, and the more libraries one has the longer it takes to drag something down. Solutions have been suggested, but I’m not sure of the answer myself. Icons? Columns? Certainly something that would allow easier access and mobility.
Hopefully Kontakt 6 will be a total re-design of Kontakt 5's ancient GUI , and improve all aspects of using, editing, managing Libraries, sampling, etc. also a fully scaleable GUI to make working with it a joy, rather a form of eye torture.

catsass

Post by catsass »

It feels like I've been hearing about the imminent release of the mythical Kontakt 6 since the release of Kontakt 3.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Cheers Anders - in other obscure compatibility news I did also read that PT 2018.4 and OSX 10.13.4 don't play nicely together, but PT 2018.3 is ok.

Thorsten Meyer

Post by Thorsten Meyer »

Kontakt 5.8 (and the new Komplet Kontrol) was blacklisted by lastest Cubase and when you enable it in Cubase (plugin manager) Cubase crashes .... (all on MAC. Works in FL Studio, Logic

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Thorsten Meyer wrote: Apr 14, 2018 10:24 am Kontakt 5.8 (and the new Komplet Kontrol) was blacklisted by lastest Cubase and when you enable it in Cubase (plugin manager) Cubase crashes .... (all on MAC. Works in FL Studio, Logic
Hm-m...both are working fine here, not blacklisted in Cubase 9.5.21 on Mac Sierra, and no crashes after several hours of use yesterday. Perhaps you are on Windows or something?
Frank E. Lancaster

Thorsten Meyer

Post by Thorsten Meyer »

playz123 wrote: Apr 14, 2018 12:21 pm
Thorsten Meyer wrote: Apr 14, 2018 10:24 am Kontakt 5.8 (and the new Komplet Kontrol) was blacklisted by lastest Cubase and when you enable it in Cubase (plugin manager) Cubase crashes .... (all on MAC. Works in FL Studio, Logic
Hm-m...both are working fine here, not blacklisted in Cubase 9.5.21 on Mac Sierra, and no crashes after several hours of use yesterday. Perhaps you are on Windows or something?
I use MAC.

Thorsten Meyer

Post by Thorsten Meyer »

I isolated the issue own to the
Komplete Kontrol.vst
crashing on my MAC Cubase.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Thorsten, just FYI-it’s not “MAC”, it’s “Mac.”
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

tack

Post by tack »

I always assumed MAC was an acronym for Moronic Apple Computer.

But as a WINDOWS user living in a glass house, I shouldn't be so quick to throw stones.
- Jason

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Red team, blue team :)

Still, accuracy in titling matters a little to me. In the U.S, the Federal Reserve Bank is often referred to as the Fed, which is correct in common parlance. However, calling it the FED is incorrect, and usually used by people who don't believe in having a Federal Reserve Bank at all, whereas FRB might be accurate.

Now, back on topic.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Thorsten Meyer

Post by Thorsten Meyer »

Lawrence wrote: Apr 14, 2018 7:53 pm Thorsten, just FYI-it’s not “MAC”, it’s “Mac.”
Thank you, as long my MAC does not rumble about the spelling of MAC I may continue to use MAC or Mac or even MaC