There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Performance Samples / Con Moto Cellos

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Performance Samples / Con Moto Cellos

Post by Piet De Ridder »

The first section of Performance Samples' Con Moto ensemble strings, the cellos, is available. $99 introductory price.
Con Moto – Cellos is a string library recorded with motion in the sustains, legato, and attacks/releases. “Active-bow” sustains offer continuously re-expressed vibrato & emotion, via performance & editing approaches. Responsive note attacks and meticulously-timed release samples – derived from units of musical performance – morph with your playing to allow fluent note-length variation, similar to previous Performance Samples libraries. Much in the same vein as Oceania, Con Moto – Cellos continues along the path of “energetic release samples” and appreciation of performance-sourced phrase endings as a critical element of the toolkit in release-sample functionality. Bow-change legato transitions wrap it all together, and with the entire library recorded con moto and musically-restless, the result is a breathing ensemble with coherence in phrasing, vibrato, and expression.

- Six cellos (primarily soloist and 1st-chair musicians) from the Capellen Orchestra
- Three dynamic layers, from moderately soft to FFF
- Bow-change legato con moto (legato with movement in the bowing and vibrato)
- “Active-bow” sustains (non-static longs that move and evolve while simultaneously maintaining the dynamic/timbre)
- Multiple attack types (hard and soft) triggered via velocity
- Release samples that respond fluently to note-length variation*
- Recorded in an ambient hall** with multiple mic positions: Close 1st-Chair / Close Section / Decca / Wide
- 48kHz / 24bit
- NCW-compressed, ~2.14 GB total
- Built for Kontakt 5.5.1 and above – full, retail version of Kontakt required
- Download and watermarking via Continuata

Aoiichi

Re: Performance Samples / Con Moto Cellos

Post by Aoiichi »

People I've seen around seem to be very critical of the library, which I suppose is a good thing, but are oddly focused around trying to get it to play short notes or fast runs. It seems quite obviously sold as an expressive, flowing legato and longs instrument?

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Rather than get into a flame war, I'm just going to put you on ignore, Aoi. The gun picture disturbs me just as much on this forum as the last. Happy hunting.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Aoiichi

Post by Aoiichi »

Lawrence wrote: May 04, 2018 9:51 pm Rather than get into a flame war, I'm just going to put you on ignore, Aoi. The gun picture disturbs me just as much on this forum as the last. Happy hunting.
Larry, please do not derail this topic with off-topic personal political rants, thanks. I don't believe that's in the spirit of this forum.

Linos

Post by Linos »

Cheap move to make a political statement with your avatar, but then deny the right to react to it. Larry, maybe you could change your avatar too like I did?

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Could we perhaps reserve this space to talk about Con Moto?
There'll be a thread in 'Forum Matters' shortly where the issue of choice of avatars, and the message they send, can be discussed con as much moto as you like. Thanks!

_

Linos

Post by Linos »

The demos sound good to my ears. A delay to keep a natural attack seems to be the way for me. It works well for Cinematic Studio Strings, and it works well here. Unfortunately the specialty library approach that has come up recently doesn't suit me. Having only one playing style from a library is not what I am looking for. Also, 500$ for all sections at the intro price for 'only' a legato is not an insubstantial sum. I'm hoping that sometime a developer will be bold enough to combine all these specialty articulation approaches in one complete string library.

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

There will be no second violins, so it's 400$ for all (if there isn't some package price coming up later).
I had the opportunity to try the Cellos and I find the delay of 140,1 ms still very comfortable to play. CSS's 300 ms are definitely too much for my taste and the different delays for different velocities makes me mad. A standard delay for all legatos is the way to go!

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I like the sound on the demos, but I agree with Linos.

I don’t want to have to switch libraries to achieve shorts, pizz, tremolos or faster legatos. I find that one trick ponies create extra work.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Aoiichi

Post by Aoiichi »

Linos wrote: May 05, 2018 5:37 am The demos sound good to my ears. A delay to keep a natural attack seems to be the way for me. It works well for Cinematic Studio Strings, and it works well here. Unfortunately the specialty library approach that has come up recently doesn't suit me. Having only one playing style from a library is not what I am looking for. Also, 500$ for all sections at the intro price for 'only' a legato is not an insubstantial sum. I'm hoping that sometime a developer will be bold enough to combine all these specialty articulation approaches in one complete string library.
The store page for the product says that not all the sections will be priced the same, and Jasper has previously dropped the figure of " > $249". That doesn't mean it won't possibly come in the region of 500, but I don't think he'd drop the previous figure if he didn't intend to make it cheaper.
Linos wrote: May 05, 2018 4:15 am Cheap move to make a political statement with your avatar, but then deny the right to react to it. Larry, maybe you could change your avatar too like I did?
I haven't denied the right to react to it as I don't have admin powers, I just stated this isn't the forum for it (it's also not a political statement, just a funny personal photo). As the admin has stated, there will be a topic for you somewhere else for you to discuss this, which I won't involve myself with because I've better things to do. Humour is also subjective, so if you don't find it funny at all that's fine, but again, derailing topics to rage people don't share your sense of humour isn't good etiquette. Again, please feel free to do that in the off-topic sections, where I will promptly ignore the topic. This will be my last comment on the issue, unless I am forced to respond due to further off-topic flaming.

At any rate, the closest equivalent to this library would likely be Soaring Strings- which is available for the price of $249, which makes Jasper's statement on the likely price range very interesting.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

=======================================

Any comments relating to Avatars etc in this thread after this post will be deleted, since we now have a place to discuss that properly and it's here - https://www.thesoundboard.net/viewtopic ... 5fb321f7c7 . Aoiichi it's your call, but I'd advise you in particular to check in there. Thanks all.

=======================================

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

I don't think the sound is really all that impressive surprisingly... I really like the tone of Caspian, but yeah - I've got the criticism of the faster reps/shorts.

and here is why: why would you pay that much for a legato library? I actually think the performance legato patches from SCS/SSS work better - and atleast you have other articulations(like shorts) with round robins.

The whole idea of "one playabale patch" sounds great, except its not really one "catch all" playable patch... a decently scripted sustains patch is all Caspian is... and it doesn't have round robin on the attack sample, so it's very obvious if you do a phrase that requires it.

Adventure brass is a lot better in this department, although I don't personally care for the tone...

So I'm trying not to be cynical... but as much as I love performance samples ideas/flavor - this is just a legato patch with a passable flavor(that some might like or dislike) I'm going to have to pass on this one!