There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Waves Flex: Rent To Own Program [added - Waves 10 released]

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Waves Flex: Rent To Own Program [added - Waves 10 released]

Post by Guy Rowland »

https://www.waves.com/bundles/flex

Another day, another subs plan. The headlines: choose 10 plugins from a subset of their catalogue (plus another 3 free bonus ones at launch), pay $19.99 per month for 24 months, then you get to keep them. You can cancel at any time, but can't then pick up where you left off.

IMO this isn't a terrible deal, but it sure isn't a great one either. It feels half-hearted. Lots of plugins are missing - no L2, no L3-16 which have both been on sale recently for $29 and $49 respectively plus the reseller discounts. I reckon most will be better off cherry picking stuff that they want as it comes up in the sales, but just passing on the info here in case it makes better sense to anyone else.

gtrwll

Re: Waves Flex: Rent To Own Program

Post by gtrwll »

$480 for 13 Waves plugins sounds like a lot of money thanks to their continuous sales...

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Once upon a time this would have been a killer deal, and the structure is certainly there, but I think they've shot themselves in the foot with their sales.

I have all the Waves plugins I need or want through an outrageous deal on an upgrade to Diamond some time ago.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

wst3 wrote: Jun 08, 2018 7:35 am Once upon a time this would have been a killer deal, and the structure is certainly there, but I think they've shot themselves in the foot with their sales.
Indeed. Though I think its a mistake of them to not let people carry on after a pause, I reckon that unnecessary little knife-twist will put off a fair few people, its the kind of mean-spiritedness that people really dislike. The devil's always in the details in these subs things.

kpc

Post by kpc »

wst3 wrote: Jun 08, 2018 7:35 am Once upon a time this would have been a killer deal, and the structure is certainly there, but I think they've shot themselves in the foot with their sales.

I have all the Waves plugins I need or want through an outrageous deal on an upgrade to Diamond some time ago.
Yes. I am always amazed at companies that constantly run sales. We have a furniture store in town that is always having its "Biggest Sale Ever!". Every weekend. It aways makes me feel that if I buy anything from them, next week I'm going to get screwed.
- kayle

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I would posit that it seems to have worked for East West.

The constant sales of Waves products have the additional benefit of keeping them front of mind, so when they come out with the new new thing they’ll have a recent channel to sell it. In many cases, they’re also selling products they’ve been making money from for years and years-no associated development costs.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Not worth its own thread IMO, but FYI Waves 10 is out. No new features, minor bug fixes for a handful of specific plugins. No idea what they're thinking except, presumably, a way to make some money out of nothing.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Re: Waves Flex: Rent To Own Program [added - Waves 10 released]

Post by Guy Rowland »

Another day, another bunch of stupid deals. Horizon caught me eye... $299 is a new level of cheapness. I can upgrade from Gold + L3-16 and a few other bits and pieces for about $140. For whatever it's worth that gets me v10 (essentially useless now but may become more useful over the coming years) and a year's WUP, plus a handful of new stuff that I might conceivably use and a lot more i wont.

Life is made up of decisions such as this.