There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Soniccouture / NI sale - 50% off, free extra products and a complete bundle

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Soniccouture / NI sale - 50% off, free extra products and a complete bundle

Post by Guy Rowland »

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... ffer-2018/

There's quite a few products here that I know a lot of people really love. Does seem quite tempting, especially the complete bundle. Interested in comments here from happy/unhappy Soniccoutre campers.

wst3

Re: Soniccouture / NI sale - 50% off, free extra products and a complete bundle

Post by wst3 »

Only a little unhappy - I own all but two of the libraries in the bundle. Soniccouture makes some really great libraries, and I find them quite useful. I will be rounding out my collection anyway<G>!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I meant to reply to this earlier Bill - if you haven't already, contact Soniccouture direct as I've seen them say they can come up with a deal for those in a similar position.

Still on the fence. I'd really like the vibraphone, and mildly interested in a few others. With many of the sound-designy ones, they look and sound nice, but I have a feeling that I'd go to my usual source Omni 2 for things like this. I have quite a lot of really good libraries like NI's Kinetic Metal that I routinely ignore in this way... does Soniccouture really have something over and above that I will actually use? Likewise Konkrete looks like really interesting but I never seem to use Kontakt-based rhythm instruments, preferring Stylus or Battery as a host. So I think it's either just the vibes, or taking a punt on the lot if I got some persuasive feedback...

wst3

Post by wst3 »

First, thanks for the tip, I did contact them and now I have to choose between two pretty good deals<G>. Oh well!

Since you asked... I use many of their sound-design-y libraries, my thoughts below:
  • BOX OF TRICKS - just a ton of really inspiring instruments, I really have no favorites!
  • GEOSONICS - another source of inspiration, and I do keep meaning to import some of the raw sounds into Omni
  • GLASS WORKS - kind of specialized, but really fun
  • GRAND TOY PIANO - even more specialized, and just as much fun
  • ONDES - still not really sure what to make of this, but I suspect I will eventually get the hang of it. For now it is a toy.
  • TUBE DRUM - I have a couple of these, not sure why I bought this one, but I find some of the patches to be really useful for both music and sound effects.
  • XBOW GUITARS - I have an original e-Bow and the current model, still hunting for the very rare pedal steel version, but I digress. If I am playing a solo line then I just play it in. But if I want chords, or other things one can not do with a single e-Bow then this is where I go.
  • XTENDED PIANO - I am a sucker for prepared pianos. This one stands with all the other prepared piano libraries on my disc.
There are also a couple more realistic libraries that I find very useful. Definitely a different approach, but both Clav and Morpheus2 are great examples of their instruments. I'm really tempted to get the suitcase piano while it is on sale. They have a knack for this sort of thing.

And Konkrete - really tempted by that myself.

Brett

Post by Brett »

If you don’t mind me asking Bill, what deal did they offer? I own seven of the 15 featured libraries and they couldn’t help me which is fine (because it’s a great deal regardless) but I did find it strange given their offer to contact them

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Well I stopped my a-waverin', went just for the Vibraphone and the Kim freebie. Both really lovely and think both will get use - I've lacked a definitive vibraphone with motor. I knew in my heart of hearts pretty much everything else would get little use or none at all - they all look and sound wonderful, but I want my electronic drums in Battery or Stylus, and all the esoteric stuff I feel over-full with Omni 2.

So well done me.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I too stopped fence-sitting. Nearly the last possible minute, but I purchased Haunted Spaces (and Ghost Planet) and Konkrete. There were a few others that I considered, but I really don't have an immediate need for any of them, and resources are finite.

@Brett - I apologize for being a day late, the offer I received from them was simply 50% off on any of their libraries directly from them. Since both the libraries I wanted were also available through NI I purchased thought NI. I figured it could not hurt to bolster the numbers at NI, since these deals are pretty cool.

I did sort of shoot myself in the foot - I missed the discount on Ghost Planet (that was not available through NI) but the difference was small enough that I'll consider it my vote of confidence.

More later when I've had a chance to play.