There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Cinesamples 90s Retro Trumpets

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Cinesamples 90s Retro Trumpets

Post by Guy Rowland »

90’s Retro Trumpets is a faithful emulation of all things trumpet and all things recording from this magical time that crafted many of our childhoods. Thoroughly researched, this melody-making library resurrects the actual microphones and the forgotten trumpet techniques that gave these scores such unique color, tutti, and magnificence. Recorded at the MGM Scoring Stage at Sony Pictures Studios in Los Angeles.

https://cinesamples.com/product/90s-retro-trumpets

$179, available now.

Sounds rather lovely to me. The regular and fast legatos sound good, and it has that sound (despite apparently not being recorded on the usual Sony stage).

wst3

Re: Cinesamples 90s Retro Trumpets

Post by wst3 »

I am so bummed - it sounds glorious! I don't know what voodoo they applied, but that trumpet section sounds glorious. My poor wallet!

NoamL

Post by NoamL »

"(despite apparently not being recorded on the usual Sony stage)."

it was? :) MGM = Sony = Streisand

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

NoamL wrote: Sep 12, 2018 9:20 pm "(despite apparently not being recorded on the usual Sony stage)."

it was? :) MGM = Sony = Streisand
Oh very good, couldn’t see that info anywhere. Thought it sounded amazingly like it! So this is just a stereo mix? No complaints if so, it’s an interesting change of emphasis from them.

prodigalson

Post by prodigalson »

Yeah, they seem to be saying that back then the general habit was to rely on the Tree mics for brass during mix phase and so I think they only recorded it with a decca tree. Though I agree having a close mic would definitely have been nice, I guess they felt that providing that would have defeated the purpose of the library?

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

And double the time it would take to edit the library. ;) I really wish they would have done this with multiple mics and some real short round robins, would have made the price a little more attractive. As is $179 for ensemble trumpets with one mic postion is a little steep, even though I like the sound. I suppose you eventually forget the pricetag but I have a theory Cinesamples will eventually meet other developers with their own 50% off sale on products like this (thus the high price tag) that doesn’t require large payments to orchestral sections and thus break their 30% off sale max they seem to have (even those suspiciously are becoming “up to...” sales with less items at the full markdown).

Black Friday or Christmas 2019 should be a good time to find out. At $99 or less these would be an interesting addition to the Cinebrass line (if only they recorded more mics!... ok, I’ll stop).

PS Now that I’ve checked out the above video on youtube and looked at the comments (4k+ views already) I understand why Cinesamples doesn’t usually have an intro sale or discount for a while on new products. They seem to have a decent amount of people that will buy it regardless of price (to a point, few developers sell $1k+ products these days) so I suppose getting that crowd at top price is a priority. Then when the party dies down...

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

I'm not sure I need this library.

I don't remember ever needing a 90's trumpets sound, but, now that it is a commercially available library, do I really need it ? Hmmm... Still No Sure :thinking:

On the other hand, I'm still hoping to see CineSamples release CineStrings Pro, which seems to be taking forever.