There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Eventide 'Fission' / sound-splitting structural FX

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Eventide 'Fission' / sound-splitting structural FX

Post by Piet De Ridder »

"Fission" from Eventide is the developer's first product to "feature its 'structural effects' method for cleanly and completely separating the transient and tonal components of a sound, independently manipulate them, and then fuse them back together. With the ability to add effects and dynamic controls to the transient and tonal sections, you can produce a wide range of effects, from the subtle to the extreme."

You can read all about it here, but faster is to simply watch the first video below which presents enough good examples to illustrate how powerful Fission really is.

Features:
  • Six Integrated Transient Effects: Delay, Tap Delay, Dynamics, Phaser, Reverb, Gate + EQ
  • Seven Integrated Tonal Effects: Delay, Compressor, Pitch, Chorus, Reverb, Tremolo, EQ
  • Waveform display for clear tracking of Transient/Tonal audio in real time
  • Artists Presets by: Richard Devine, Chris Carter, Suzanne Ciani, Joe Chiccarelli, John Agnello, Stewart Lerman, Steve Rosenthal, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, Sasha, Colin Newman and more.
Price:
Intro Special: Fission is on sale for $97 until April 17, 2017. (MSRP $179)
Free 30-day demo available.

_

wst3

Re: Eventide 'Fission' / sound-splitting structural FX

Post by wst3 »

This is absolutely brilliant! I can remember TRYING to do things like that with piles of hardware, but never getting anything that clean. This is a must-buy for me!

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Interesting, nice to see something new. Bill, what sort of situations were you wanting to do this kind of thing with hardware? Where do you see yourself using it now?

wst3

Post by wst3 »

The first thing that comes to mind is applying delay to just the transients in a track. As I mentioned, we used to use piles of gear to get an effect something like that, this will be (if the video is to be believed) a lot easier. Another cool trick is to apply a modulation effect (flanger, chorus) to just the steady (tonal) part of the signal. You can go way overboard with any of the effects as long as you leave the other half alone.

Next up, it's a Transient Designer on steroids<G>... instead of feeding a pair of Transient Designers in parallel this lets you split and process the transient and steady state signals.

I'm still not entirely clear on how the "Focus" works, but I think I get the rest of it. I think. It's probably a bit early to actually write him a check<G>, but this is a really cool idea! I will download the demo as soon as it is available!

And that'll be the proof - but the idea has definitely captured my attention, and imagination!

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Hmm yes, making sense to me. I think the focus is effectively shifting the threshold between the transient and non-transient parts.

DrQuest

Post by DrQuest »

I am trying this out now for a film I'm doing. Great for sound design. Very musical and just plain cool. I'll have to get it at the intro price for sure. You can make a guitar sound like an E-bow guitar with little effort.

Erik

Post by Erik »

I can imagine the same process applied to a piano, DrQuest.
edit : as indicated on their site,btw :-)
"I'm using more black notes now and there are a lot of chords in the last album, too" Vince Clarke -1986

DrQuest

Post by DrQuest »

Audiodeluxe has this for $82.39 right now. Won't find a better deal than that.

DrQuest

Post by DrQuest »

Pretty cool putting an in sync repeating delay on just the transients of a guitar track while adding a harmony to the tonal part with no echo. Fun stuff!