There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Black Friday 2018

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Quasar

Re: Black Friday 2018

Post by Quasar »

soundbylaura wrote: Nov 24, 2018 8:57 am
I use Plug & Mix's Degradiator way more than I thought I would, when I need to match crappy Skype calls to even-crappier Skype calls. As a VIP Bundle owner it was added to the bundle at no charge.

BTW, that bundle is BF priced at $50. With 50 plugs it's pretty easy to find something you'll like in there.
http://store.dontcrack.com/product_info ... 7dff6acf35
I have the P&M VIP Bundle on my short list and have already started slogging through the demo. What's held me back (besides redundancy) is the idea that I'd only be getting it because of the extremely attractive price and the time limit of the sale... On the other hand, these do seem to be easy-to-use "one-trick-ponies" that each do the specific thing they're supposed to do reasonably well, and you're quite right about the idea that for $50, it could be more than worth it even if you only use a very few of them every once in a while... The Degradiator video on YouTube reminds me of Audio Assault's Head Crusher, which I really like and I think is still $5...

... I'm also still tripping on Syntorial (50% off, but can I learn synthesis with pdfs and YouTube just as well?), Fabfilter Saturn ($62 at Best Service), Chris Hein Horns Compact ($102 at his site), Tokyo Dawn Limiter GE and Nova GE (approx. 40% off), Heavyocity Master Session Ethnic Perc (50%) & Insanity Sample's Fiddle (50%), which to my ears has a more rosin-ish bite than the Bolder Sounds Fiddle.

...The consumeristic aspect of music software is more than a little insane, but I have fallen into it, which is okay as long as I let it go after Xmas.

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

Quasar wrote: Nov 24, 2018 11:17 am
I use Plug & Mix's Degradiator way more than I thought I would, when I need to match crappy Skype calls to even-crappier Skype calls. As a VIP Bundle owner it was added to the bundle at no charge.

BTW, that bundle is BF priced at $50. With 50 plugs it's pretty easy to find something you'll like in there.
I have the P&M VIP Bundle on my short list and have already started slogging through the demo. What's held me back (besides redundancy) is the idea that I'd only be getting it because of the extremely attractive price and the time limit of the sale... On the other hand, these do seem to be easy-to-use "one-trick-ponies" that each do the specific thing they're supposed to do reasonably well, and you're quite right about the idea that for $50, it could be more than worth it even if you only use a very few of them every once in a while... The Degradiator video on YouTube reminds me of Audio Assault's Head Crusher, which I really like and I think is still $5...

... I'm also still tripping on Syntorial (50% off, but can I learn synthesis with pdfs and YouTube just as well?), Fabfilter Saturn ($62 at Best Service), Chris Hein Horns Compact ($102 at his site), Tokyo Dawn Limiter GE and Nova GE (approx. 40% off), Heavyocity Master Session Ethnic Perc (50%) & Insanity Sample's Fiddle (50%), which to my ears has a more rosin-ish bite than the Bolder Sounds Fiddle.

...The consumeristic aspect of music software is more than a little insane, but I have fallen into it, which is okay as long as I let it go after Xmas.
There Is Always Another Sale™. It's been $50 before, it will be again. I picked up my bundle second-hand at KVR a few years ago.

Thanks for the tip on the Insanity Samples Fiddle. Not buying it now but adding it to a 'things to remember' list.
Be an upstander.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Still wrestling with the choices, there are a handful of things I'd really like to get, and another handful that might be fun, and balancing all of that against what's left in the checking account is proving to be a bit of a challenge, especially since I will need to start Christmas shopping for the kids soon.

Time will tell, but I would agree that it isn't quite as exciting as years past. Perhaps we have finally reached the point where the developers can no longer offer insane discounts?

And a question to all who talk about the user interfaces for various libraries and plugins - is this an aesthetic judgement or a functional one? While there are libraries out there that are subjectively ugly, I really can't remember a UI that made it difficult to use the library or plugin.

If it is aesthetics, just how important is that to you as a customer?

Arcana

Post by Arcana »

Quasar wrote: Nov 24, 2018 11:17 am

Syntorial definitely brings something to the table that you can't get from a PDF or YouTube.

It's basically a synth, where they show you a sound and you then try to emulate the sounds using your ears and twist the knobs you've just learned about.
But instead of me harping on about it, try the first 22 lessons for free. Those will show you whether you like the teaching style or not.
https://www.syntorial.com/try-for-free/

Oh.....and get Saturn - it's great :D

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

So far I’m a BF virgin.

Guy, I think the Variax is going to be your best purchase. Price sounds very good as well.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

wst3 wrote: Nov 24, 2018 11:53 am Still wrestling with the choices, there are a handful of things I'd really like to get, and another handful that might be fun, and balancing all of that against what's left in the checking account is proving to be a bit of a challenge, especially since I will need to start Christmas shopping for the kids soon.

Time will tell, but I would agree that it isn't quite as exciting as years past. Perhaps we have finally reached the point where the developers can no longer offer insane discounts?

And a question to all who talk about the user interfaces for various libraries and plugins - is this an aesthetic judgement or a functional one? While there are libraries out there that are subjectively ugly, I really can't remember a UI that made it difficult to use the library or plugin.

If it is aesthetics, just how important is that to you as a customer?
Bill, I feel good GUI is important when working on large scale projects where there are hundreds of layers and different software to get into.

We also spend long hours working on music. So, I appreciate a somewhat neutral or at least simple interface. Having said that, everything I own is very much workable of course.

But there are also functional issues in that, it does work but needs additional clicks and mouse movements, all of which adds up.

There are also inconsistencies at times with various ‘umbrella’ products from the same developer.

But of course it is useless to have a good interface if the sounds are no good etc...

Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Yes the Keepforest stuff is very useful, specially when you tweak things in the effects section. Though I don't have any of their latest releases (got Vikings and the first 2). But I agree with Tanuj here that a good GUI is important and I personally dislike the GUI of Vikings, though the look is ok and nice, the font they choose to use still gives me problems to easily find what I want to tweak and adjust and when working on large projects I just want to go quickly from A to B.
Heavyocity is a company that found a good balance in that in my opinion. It looks good, it connects with the content esthetic wise and its very functional.

This Black Friday I didnt buy any libraries or such, just tools that I want to start using and exploring. Grabbed 2cAudio Kaleidoscope and Halion 6
Only library I had my eye on was Celtic Era, could not justify for myself the full price as I don't have any projects yet where I could incorporate in it, but want to use it later maybe for some own compositional works, but unfortunately it did not go into the Bestservice sale, but will likely grab it later in the future when it does :)

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 9.41.29 AM.png
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Broke down and acquired Waves Sibilance. Very good de-esser-such a deal!
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Tanuj Tiku wrote: Nov 24, 2018 11:14 am Picked up the Keep Forest bundle. Surprisingly good sounds and LOTS of useful things in there for trailer music. Some misgivings about a couple of GUI's but otherwise very content with the purchase.
Tanuj-did you get the complete bundle or one of the smaller ones?

Other than whooshes and bangs and such, what are the useful things in it? Thanks.

L.J. Nachsin

Blake Ewing

Post by Blake Ewing »

Insane deal - you get everything from Samples From Mars for $39 (or use code xX$9-AllxX3 to get it for $9 while it lasts!) Crazy!!

EDIT: $9 code looks dead now, but still a solid deal for everything at $39.
Composer. Audionaut.
http://www.blakeewingmusic.com

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Blake Ewing wrote: Nov 24, 2018 8:34 pm Insane deal - you get everything from Samples From Mars for $39 (or use code xX$9-AllxX3 to get it for $9 while it lasts!) Crazy!!
Thanks for posting this, didn’t know they were having a sale. Good deal if only to get my hands on some Russian synths...!
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Blake Ewing

Post by Blake Ewing »

Luciano Storti wrote: Nov 24, 2018 9:45 pm
Blake Ewing wrote: Nov 24, 2018 8:34 pm Insane deal - you get everything from Samples From Mars for $39 (or use code xX$9-AllxX3 to get it for $9 while it lasts!) Crazy!!
Thanks for posting this, didn’t know they were having a sale. Good deal if only to get my hands on some Russian synths...!
I was just playing around with the Vintage Soviet Synths and it really is worth the price alone, imo. Very fun stuff.
Composer. Audionaut.
http://www.blakeewingmusic.com

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Good to hear. Looking forward to having a play tomorrow!
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

lofi

Post by lofi »

EDIT: $9 code looks dead now, but still a solid deal for everything at $39.
xX$19-AllxX3

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Oh my goodness yes - feels like a going-out-of-business firesale. That code posted by lofi works too, to get $19 (compared to their quoted RRP of $1,367). You need to not jump straight to paypal but go to the checkout page, enter the code and can then click paypal (or other payment method).

Just a heads up - you get a gazillion download links, sadly not one single one, and they say don't try to download more than one at a time as it will likely reset.

In other news, a big Shreddage sale - a bundle of Shreddage II, IBZ, SRP, Classic and 2 mystery products is up on Audio Deals for $89, rrp $526,

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

Lawrence wrote: Nov 24, 2018 3:32 pm
Tanuj Tiku wrote: Nov 24, 2018 11:14 am Picked up the Keep Forest bundle. Surprisingly good sounds and LOTS of useful things in there for trailer music. Some misgivings about a couple of GUI's but otherwise very content with the purchase.
Tanuj-did you get the complete bundle or one of the smaller ones?

Other than whooshes and bangs and such, what are the useful things in it? Thanks.
Yes, I got the ultimate bundle. There are lots of impacts, whooshes etc. Quality is very good!

Of course there is the usual braams etc but also lots of pluck sounds, pads and quieter sounds. Interesting piano one shots and even many playable piano type sounds - all processed. Not your usual piano but dreamy, reverb drenched, processed etc. Good collection here too. Useful.

So, it’s a good pack over all - Vikings has lots of trailer guitars + bass, not realistic so much but very much like trailer music. Usefull but less so more than others. Good drum sounds though.

What is good about the whole thing is that it is bang on in the trailer music zone. Curated very well. Some other synths can do this but this pack will save you time I think.

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

Waves H-Comp free in exchange for an email address:

https://www.waves.com/
Be an upstander.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

idk why I snagged that samples from mars pack

that's 20$ away from OT

>.>

I work every single day this week, so wish me luck

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

For those who have KeepForest libraries-if you had to recommend one, which would it be? I’m thinking to buy Exhale from Output and maybe Atlantica from KP.

My big BF purchase had nothing to do with BF-I bought a used BabyFace Pro for a decent price.

L.J. Nachsin

playz123

Post by playz123 »

For what it's worth, my choice would be KF's Evolution-Atlantica.
Frank E. Lancaster

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Thanks Frank.

L.J. Nachsin

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

I hope I don't regret this...….. but im downloading berlin strings

>.>

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Oop, incorrect bleary eyed post, ignore this.

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

From The Cheapskate Twitter:

Been eyeballing that QVC deal on the Bose QuietComfort QC25? It's $115 with new-customer promo code TEN4U. But Ebates is also doing 7% cashback *and* a $10 cash bonus when you spend at least $50 at QVC.

https://www.qvc.com/catalog/search.html?keyword=bose

SBL Notes: There's an Apple version and an Android version. I believe you have to sign up for a new account to get the full discount. I have a pair of these and they're much better at noise-cancelling than I anticipated.

Small update: he actually deleted that tweet but left the link. Not sure why. Link is still good. BUT don't forget you have to go to Ebates first and shop through them.
Be an upstander.