There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

BF/CM Ultimate Acquisitions

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Lawrence

BF/CM Ultimate Acquisitions

Post by Lawrence »

So what did ya spring for? (I suppose sales are being extended here and there, so hold fire if you’re still hemming and hawing.)

I got:

1.Output Exhale
2. KeepForest Evolution Atlantica
3. Embertone Walker Steinway Lite
4. Waves free De-Esser
5. Free Epic Babies
6. Really not a BF sale, but I’ve long lusted for a BabyFace Pro so I bought a used one. I dread having to learn TotalMix-any volunteers willing to hold my hand would have my gratitude and free beer if they ever visit NYC. ;)
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

PhJ

Re: BF/CM Ultimate Acquisitions

Post by PhJ »

So what are your first impressions on Output exhale ?

I bought Hollywood Orchestra Gold (I'll stop my subscription to CC) & the Soundtoys bundle (125$ upgrade since I had a couple of plugins)

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

The Waves de-esser (not yet installed), Goodhertz Lossy (fab), the Samples From Mars bundle (not yet installed), Soundiron Venus bundle (fairly disappointing). The Line 6 Variax is the biggie and fairly wonderful but not technically Black Friday.

I'm still wavering on Seventh Heaven - any last comments from anyone on this vs Pro?

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lawrence wrote: Nov 27, 2018 4:59 amI dread having to learn TotalMix-any volunteers willing to hold my hand would have my gratitude and free beer if they ever visit NYC. ;)
Ooop, meant to reply to this - just drop me a PM if you're stuck Larry. The three main conceptual things that caught me out are...

1. You only look at one routing at a time. Below the faders is an output - this ISN'T where the channel is routed to, but rather what ALL the faders to this output are sending. Change the output on the drop down menu, and the whole view changes to show every fader's level to that new routing.

2. The output assigns are just slightly tricksy. Right click the bottom right assign to set up what your Main Outs A and B are, phones etc. Again, this looks confusing because visually it looks like what you're routing the Main to, but its a global button to set up all the outputs.

3. Controls like FX send / return are all hidden under the wrench - this is also where you set up stereo / mono faders, 48v etc.

Good luck - it's incredibly versatile and you'll be able to do wonders with it, but there is a bit of a learning curve. It's just a bit deceptive, at a first glance it looks just like any old mixer, but those above are the main gotchas I think.

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

1. Rigid Audio Cinimatrix - it was $6. I'm not even sure what it does. :D
2. FabFilter ProQ2 - had FF on my list for a while. With some loyalty points/creditos I only paid $97. An excellent deal.
3. Pro Tools Yearly Tax - 20% off, and I got 6% cashback from Ebates. I think I get ProComp and Pro EQ for free, too?
4. VIR2 Mallets - top of my list. Sounds lovely, fills a gap in my library. Happy to grab it at 50% off ($93.98)
5. Toontrack EZDrummer2 - had been on my list, then off. Surprised to find it for $72 so I grabbed it.
6. Audiothing Megaphone - I don't really get a lot of requests for this kind of sound, but I just like it. $7.50.
7. Waves Sibilance - or the code for it, at least. I'm not going to WUP every plug I own just so I can install this.

Probably would have bought some GRM Tools had FabFilter and Toontrack not had good sales. Pleased I stayed to my list except for $13 worth of fun; but for those I was able to resist buying things just because they were on deep discount (i.e. Softube, Bose headphones). Now RX7 Advanced (upgrade) moves to the top of the list. Might be awhile since they just released it, but I can be patient.
Be an upstander.

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

Lawrence wrote: Nov 27, 2018 4:59 am
5. Free Epic Babies
Hey thanks for posting about this. I just grabbed it!

Though that interface is so disturbing I'm not sure I'll use it... :skeptical: :D
Be an upstander.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I'm still a fan of EZD2 - I tend to use Superiror Drummer most, but I did something only yesterday which needed a particular EZX so I loaded it up in EZD2 and it did everything I wanted from it.

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

Guy Rowland wrote: Nov 27, 2018 10:50 am I'm still a fan of EZD2 - I tend to use Superiror Drummer most, but I did something only yesterday which needed a particular EZX so I loaded it up in EZD2 and it did everything I wanted from it.
Yeah, I already have/had EZDrummer 1 and a few EZXes so I was ok staying within that ecosystem, but I was annoyed when they dropped their $99 upgrade price a couple years ago. Patience won out and I got it now at a much better price.
Be an upstander.

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Damnit-is that deal still out? I have EZD 1 as well...
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

Lawrence wrote: Nov 27, 2018 12:38 pm Damnit-is that deal still out? I have EZD 1 as well...
Looks like it's still up at BestService:

https://www.bestservice.com/ez_drummer_2.html
Be an upstander.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I had some fun, kept well below the budget, but that's largely because I do have two large purchases pending.
- I have to upgrade my copy of Toontrack Superior by the end of the year, but I'm waiting till then, partly because I'm feeling a little pressured<G>
- I'm also looking at solo woodwinds. I have 8Dio Clarinet and Alto Flute, which I picked up on flash sales, and filling out that collection is a strong contender. I have a few more days to listen to demos before I do.

And then there are the ones I did buy:
Soniccouture EP73 Deconstructed
Fracture Sounds Arco
- what can I say, I have a real soft spot for prepared pianos.

Kontakt Hub Folk Fiddle - still searching for that elusive fiddle sound, and between this and Bolder Sound's fiddle I believe I am in pretty good shape. FWIW, my goto previously was Garritan Strad. but learning to play it each time I needed it was getting old. I'm not ready to delete it, but I am hopeful.

Audio Damage - Pan Station, Discord, Phase 3 upgrade - I love their plugins. They are unique, and I don't need them for every project, but they do add some color and excitement. So I pick up a couple every time they have a sale.

Scoreclub Couterpoint - because learning more is always a great investment. I took the Motivic Melody class and really enjoyed it. I figure re-acquainting myself with counterpoint is a good next step before jumping into orchestration.

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

soundbylaura wrote: Nov 27, 2018 1:07 pm
Lawrence wrote: Nov 27, 2018 12:38 pm Damnit-is that deal still out? I have EZD 1 as well...
Looks like it's still up at BestService:

https://www.bestservice.com/ez_drummer_2.html
Thanks-what’s its main strength beyond EZ1?

L.J. Nachsin

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

The groove browser and the incredible Tap 2 Find - still very much the modern marvel - and the ease of swapping out kit parts are the two biggest for me. Absolutely worth it imo.

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

I'd bought an EZX that only works with v2 and used the demo version of v2 for a project. So I needed to upgrade to be able to use that one again. Plus the things Guy said.
Be an upstander.

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

I've tried to keep my cool this year and only got Oeksounds Soothe and Cableguys Volume Shaper. But now that Softube is going into "the end of year sale" I bet I'll finally pickup the American Class A any day now.

Oh, and Fluffy Audios Scoring Piano...

DougF

Post by DougF »

Was exercising a modicum of restraint and had only gotten Gulfoss and Soothe. Then I cracked under pressure last night and bought Afflatus. I'm away for a couple weeks but managed to remotely download, install and activate everything on my studio mac.

And am now making googoo eyes at Audiobro Genesis.

tack

Post by tack »

You know, I haven't bought anything for BF/CM. I would have taken advantage of the u-he soundset sale but I was too slow on the uptake.

Otherwise, just not bit by any bug. Could be a first.
- Jason

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I’m hoping the Babyface Pro will get me about 20% more wiggle room over my MOTU Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, CPU/latency wise. That would be a blessing. When deciding to ride an old computer to the bitter end, acquisitions like my slave Mini, multiple SSDS, a USB 3 card etc really help. I’m thinking of buying some more RAM for the aging beast, although that’s a fairly expensive option I won’t be able to take with me.

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

PhJ wrote: Nov 27, 2018 6:22 am So what are your first impressions on Output exhale ?

I bought Hollywood Orchestra Gold (I'll stop my subscription to CC) & the Soundtoys bundle (125$ upgrade since I had a couple of plugins)
I've just barely scratched the surface. I don't get the interface yet-don't think I love that, but I'll RTFM if I must :)

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Guy Rowland wrote: Nov 27, 2018 9:55 am
Lawrence wrote: Nov 27, 2018 4:59 amI dread having to learn TotalMix-any volunteers willing to hold my hand would have my gratitude and free beer if they ever visit NYC. ;)
Ooop, meant to reply to this - just drop me a PM if you're stuck Larry. The three main conceptual things that caught me out are...

1. You only look at one routing at a time. Below the faders is an output - this ISN'T where the channel is routed to, but rather what ALL the faders to this output are sending. Change the output on the drop down menu, and the whole view changes to show every fader's level to that new routing.

2. The output assigns are just slightly tricksy. Right click the bottom right assign to set up what your Main Outs A and B are, phones etc. Again, this looks confusing because visually it looks like what you're routing the Main to, but its a global button to set up all the outputs.

3. Controls like FX send / return are all hidden under the wrench - this is also where you set up stereo / mono faders, 48v etc.

Good luck - it's incredibly versatile and you'll be able to do wonders with it, but there is a bit of a learning curve. It's just a bit deceptive, at a first glance it looks just like any old mixer, but those above are the main gotchas I think.
Thanks Guy, I imagine I'll be tugging on your coat tails pretty soon.

L.J. Nachsin

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

When looking at the following embarrassing list please keep in mind that I wait until this time of year on non-essential purchases...

1. Glory Days
2. Slate Virtual Buss Compressors
3. Audio Ollie Scoring Synths
4. Softube Weiss Compressor/Limiter
5. Kush REDDI
6. Fluffy Audio Dominus
7. Galaxy Vintage D
8. Samples from Mars Synth Collection
9. Lindell Audio 354E
10. 1TB Samsung Evo 860
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Jaap

Post by Jaap »

What is Glory Days for a product Luke? A quick google only led to a song I like from Bruce Springsteen.

Sticked here to adding 2 creative tools to my arsenal

- 2cAudio Kaleidoscope and in addition I picked up also the subscripting with presets from Simon Stockhausen (Patchpool) for this as this was also on a BF sale.
- Halion 6 from Steinberg

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Jaap, Glory Days Big Band Horns, by Orchestral Tools. Simple laziness on my part. And Springsteen ain't bad either ;-)
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Luciano Storti wrote: Nov 28, 2018 12:10 pm Jaap, Glory Days Big Band Horns, by Orchestral Tools. Simple laziness on my part. And Springsteen ain't bad either ;-)
Nope not at all, was a pleasure hearing that song again :D ah and yes of course! Thanks.

byzantium

Post by byzantium »

tack wrote: Nov 27, 2018 9:10 pm You know, I haven't bought anything for BF/CM.
Yep same here, except I couldn't pass up the Embertone Steinway Walker D Lite for $10, following arcana's post about it.

Now dammit the genie is out of the bottle and I've come across Orange Tree Samples absolutely gorgeous-sounding Jazz Archtop for $116 ...