There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Emotional Cello by Harmonic Subtones deal - 129$

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Linos

Emotional Cello by Harmonic Subtones deal - 129$

Post by Linos »

In case you haven't seen it yet, Audioplugin offers a 50%-off deal on 'Emotional Cello' by Harmonic Subtones:

https://audioplugin.deals/

It's 129$ until march 6th. Seems to be one of the best solo strings libraries currently. I'll probably buy it.

Lawrence

Re: Emotional Cello by Harmonic Subtones deal - 129$

Post by Lawrence »

I've heard a lot of raves. Do people who have it love it?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Joe_D

Post by Joe_D »

I have it and think it is very good. It is satisfying to play (though not as much fun as a modeled instrument), with lots of color choices, fairly even sampling and programming, and the resulting sound is quite good for a VI.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

At the time, the Emotional Cello prompted me to write what I recall was my first glowing review of a sample library. (It was also my last one.)
Since that initial rapture though, my enthusiasm had dropped just a tiny, tiny bit. Not much, just a minuscule fraction. I still think that the Emotional Cello is a very rare specimen of how instruments should be sampled and be made into serious, high-quality sample libraries — offering a very diverse, versatile, remarkably detailed, coherent and highly intelligent choice of articulations, all programmed with care and insight — but there's something in the timbre of the instrument itself which, on occasion, I wish were a shade different. Can't really describe it, other than to say that the instrument isn't always as noble- and warm-sounding as I sometimes want a cello to be. It can be something of a challenge, in other words, to make it simulate a creamy, big-sounding, passionately bowed instrument. Other than that though, it's as close to a dream library as can be.

_

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Thank you Joe and Piet. In your opinions, is EC as good as it gets, sampled cello-wise? I have a bit of money in my discretionary account and though the smart play would be to add some modern electronica library, I love the cello and I wouldn’t mind replacing my decent but challenging Embertone Blakus.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Lawrence wrote: Feb 26, 2019 2:47 am(...) is EC as good as it gets, sampled cello-wise? (...)
Technically, without any doubt. And sonically too. It's just the timbre of the instrument that I can imagine making some people a bit hesitant. But if you're not one of these people, Larry, I would most definitely spring for this. I'll make you an audio example before it's time to decide.

_

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Splendid, thanks.

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Linos

Post by Linos »

Is it just me or does the timbre of the Emotional Cello have one ingredient that sounds slightly off in many of the demos? It almost sounds like phasing. Something whirring/breathy/raspy. Audible through much of this demo, particularly in that suspension a1 at 0:20 for example:

And again in the same a1 at 0:25. But it's there to a lesser degree in other notes as well. I'm wondering how prominent that whirring is in the sound. Is it something that can be reduced with careful processing?

While we are at it, how is the Emotional Violin? Is it of similarly high quality as the cello? Can anybody share their experiences with it? It looks promising. If I go for the cello I could then buy it at the discounted crossgrade price, which is tempting.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Feb 26, 2019 1:23 am At the time, the Emotional Cello prompted me to write what I recall was my first glowing review of a sample library. (It was also my last one.)
Since that initial rapture though, my enthusiasm had dropped just a tiny, tiny bit. Not much, just a minuscule fraction. I still think that the Emotional Cello is a very rare specimen of how instruments should be sampled and be made into serious, high-quality sample libraries — offering a very diverse, versatile, remarkably detailed, coherent and highly intelligent choice of articulations, all programmed with care and insight — but there's something in the timbre of the instrument itself which, on occasion, I wish were a shade different. Can't really describe it, other than to say that the instrument isn't always as noble- and warm-sounding as I sometimes want a cello to be. It can be something of a challenge, in other words, to make it simulate a creamy, big-sounding, passionately bowed instrument. Other than that though, it's as close to a dream library as can be.
_
What did you think about the Violin, by the way? I think you wanted to buy it, but I don't remember you writing anything about how you liked it ...

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Here’s something which I think gives a fair and good idea of what the Emotional Cello sounds like and how it performs. (I disabled the built-in reverb and used the Seventh Heaven instead.) My reacquaintance with this library, I must immediately say, hasn’t been quite as pleasant as I imagined and hoped it would be. I’m beginning to think that my early enthusiasm for this library must above all have been triggered by the wealth, detail and versatily of the included articulations — which far exceeded anything that was available in other, similar products at the time of the release —and by some of the programming ideas which the developers implemented, but I have to confess: the sound and the timbre of the instrument itself, as I rediscovered it today, do present certain problems, and I can fully understand it if someone were to say that he/she didn't much care for the sound of this instrument.

And Linos is right that certain articulations have a distinct gritty, phasing quality about them, I suppose due to the stacking of very similar-sounding samples in order to be able to modulate between them.

On the plus side: very agile and obedient performer, loads of content (it also includes FX and percussive playing) and excellent ‘sculptability’ of what’s included.

So, summing up: while I still believe it’s a useful thing to have and there are many appealing possibilities with this library, I don’t think it would be my choice for extended, exposed solo cello work. (Which I would avoid as much as I can anyway with virtual instruments.)

FriFro, can I get back to you at a later date regarding the violin? I need to know more about it before giving an opinion.

_

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Thank you for the example, Piet. I hear what you mean, although in all honesty I was hoping I wouldn't hear what you meant :) There's a certain lack of felicity in the tone, a less warm and round sound than I had hoped. Still and all, the question is-given that all VSTis are imperfect and require various compromises, is EC the best choice for a combination of agility, warmth, flexibility and bang for the buck? I still think it may be.

From a pure performance standpoint, the SWAM cello might be a better choice, but the felicity of THAT tone has been roundly discussed. Horses for courses I suppose.

Anyway, thanks again!

L.J. Nachsin

byzantium

Post by byzantium »

Thanks very much Piet. Geez, I don't know - to my unwashed ears, it sounds pretty good!

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Feb 27, 2019 7:55 am FriFro, can I get back to you at a later date regarding the violin? I need to know more about it before giving an opinion.
That would be great! Just wanna know how you think it compares to the Cello (by the same developer). Of course, I have my own opinion on it, already, but as with yours on the Cello, these opinions may sometimes change ...

Regarding the Cello. This is my favorite solo Cello. But that doesn't mean I find it great for chamber ensemble writing. In other words, it is the best instrument available for things like mocking up a Cello Concerto or a duet, but I don't think with the Violin and the upcoming Viola from Harmonc Subtones you will be able to mock up a quartet convincingly. Needles to say, that there really is no sample library that can really do that kind of thin convincingly ...

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

FriFlo wrote: Feb 27, 2019 2:52 pm
Piet De Ridder wrote: Feb 27, 2019 7:55 am FriFro, can I get back to you at a later date regarding the violin? I need to know more about it before giving an opinion.
That would be great! Just wanna know how you think it compares to the Cello (by the same developer). Of course, I have my own opinion on it, already, but as with yours on the Cello, these opinions may sometimes change ...

Regarding the Cello. This is my favorite solo Cello. But that doesn't mean I find it great for chamber ensemble writing. In other words, it is the best instrument available for things like mocking up a Cello Concerto or a duet, but I don't think with the Violin and the upcoming Viola from Harmonc Subtones you will be able to mock up a quartet convincingly. Needles to say, that there really is no sample library that can really do that kind of thin convincingly ...
...unless you're Rob Soggetti, in which case you can use the Kontakt Factory library and it will sound fine.

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Linos

Post by Linos »

Any words on the violin before the deal for the cello expires? I didn't suspect that this cello is capable to convince in a string quartet setting - as FriFlo said, no library is. But it might well be the best that is currently available, and Piet's short rhapsody shows that it can do a variety of things. Currently I am relying on the CSSS cello. Despite its limitations, I think that the Emotional Cello could expand upon what CSSS does.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

The HS Violin is — very regrettably — not something I would recommend. Well, not as a convincing simulation of a classical sounding, full-bodied, warm and expressive violin anyway. Where the HS Cello has only that hint of a somewhat thin tone, the Violin really suffers from it, I find, having a rather stark, hard and harsh tone that limits its expressive possibilities considerably. Technically, it's all there, and impressively so, it's just the timbre of the instrument which makes this a library that I have some difficulty becoming friends with.

_

Topic author
Linos

Post by Linos »

Thank you Piet. If it's technically there that is a first then. I'll see if I can cope with the timbre.