There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Korg Collection 2 with updated GUIs

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Korg Collection 2 with updated GUIs

Post by Guy Rowland »

Best news of the week and sing hosannas, after a decade or so, Korg have finally updated their rather nice Legacy collection to all have useable GUIs. Also presets are now better organised for some of the plugins with slick new browsers, and additional presets installed by default.

Here's the new GUI of the MS20 in Cubase, set to its largest size. I can read it! And it still works with my MS20iC controller. Note - when resizing the GUI via the three dots, initially the overall frame size stays the same for me, so if making larger then some of it vanishes. To resolve this, close and reopen the GUI.

In the case of some of the other synths, its quite a feat to discover where Korg hid the resize option, often its in the screen-within-a-screen buried under a little Utility dropdown arrow. The Polysix was blacklisted by Cubase, restoring it manually seems to work ok.

Existing customers can upgrade for free, via the Korg ID Portal here - https://id.korg.com/static_pages/3 . You don't need to download the Software Pass, if you log in here you can access the new downloads.

They've also hidden the ability to buy it quite well, but found the shop eventually - https://korg.shop/software/korg-collect ... re=english . Also options here to upgrade from the old Legacy Collection to either the ARP Odyssey or Triton or both.

Muziksculp

Re: Korg Collection 2 with updated GUIs

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

Yes, this was a surprise to me. I purchased the Korg Legacy Collection a long time ago, with their annoyingly small GUIs.

So, I'm delighted to see them finally update the GUIs of this collection, making them more fun, and rewarding to program, and use.

Here is how the Korg Polysix synth looks on my 4K TV Monitor which I use as a second monitor for Studio One Pro 4. :)

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Yes this was a nice (and unexpected!) update! I have refrained from using them since they've been so hard to use. Lovely graphics!

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Note that the ARP Odyssey, and Legacy Cell Instruments of the Korg Legacy Collection have not been updated to version 2. Maybe they will be in the future.

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

"to all have usable GUIs".

Slightly debatable in certain cases, because text under all knobs on MS-20 is nigh unreadable due to poor contrast. Also in MS-20 and Mono/Poly, various parts of GUIs jarringly move either on moving the mouse or cables around (MS-20, at 110% or 120% zoom levels) or clicking the buttons to the right of the display (M/P, any zoom level other than "Medium", which is 100%).

They have some bugfixin' to do. But yes, this was nice to see. M1 and Wavestation are A LOT BETTER now (and curiously don't suffer the shifting GUI issues of MS-20 or M/P).
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Many thanks for the information, Guy. It certainly simplified updating. I don’t use the M1 very much anymore, so it encouraged me to revisit it and recall that it can still be useful. The new interface is definitely an improvement.
Frank E. Lancaster

WindcryMusic

Post by WindcryMusic »

Thanks very much for the info. Although maybe I still did something wrong, because after logging in on the Korg site via that link and then downloading the latest installers from my Products page, my existing products (Wavestation and M1) both came up in demo mode, until I downloaded, installed and logged into the Software Pass app. Seems to be working now without any harm done, but I can't figure out how others in this thread were evidently able to avoid installing Software Pass.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

WindcryMusic wrote: May 10, 2020 6:17 pm Thanks very much for the info. Although maybe I still did something wrong, because after logging in on the Korg site via that link and then downloading the latest installers from my Products page, my existing products (Wavestation and M1) both came up in demo mode, until I downloaded, installed and logged into the Software Pass app. Seems to be working now without any harm done, but I can't figure out how others in this thread were evidently able to avoid installing Software Pass.
It's a mystery. There are so many legacy Korg sites out there seemingly, and my first efforts just linked to the old plugins, but clicking on the link in my post above with the MS20 graphics just downloaded and worked. Maybe a Mac / Windows thing? I'm on Windows.

WindcryMusic

Post by WindcryMusic »

Guy Rowland wrote: May 11, 2020 2:52 am
WindcryMusic wrote: May 10, 2020 6:17 pm Thanks very much for the info. Although maybe I still did something wrong, because after logging in on the Korg site via that link and then downloading the latest installers from my Products page, my existing products (Wavestation and M1) both came up in demo mode, until I downloaded, installed and logged into the Software Pass app. Seems to be working now without any harm done, but I can't figure out how others in this thread were evidently able to avoid installing Software Pass.
It's a mystery. There are so many legacy Korg sites out there seemingly, and my first efforts just linked to the old plugins, but clicking on the link in my post above with the MS20 graphics just downloaded and worked. Maybe a Mac / Windows thing? I'm on Windows.
I'm on Mac, so I guess that's one possibility. Perhaps others can also advise whether or not they needed to install Software Pass to have their previously purchased legacy plugins appear as licensed after the 2.0.x updates, and which OS they have.