There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Spitfire Audio 'Symphonic Motions' Library Released

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Muziksculp

Re: Spitfire Audio 'Symphonic Motions' Library Released

Post by Muziksculp »

Guy Rowland wrote: Aug 08, 2020 12:52 pmI’m 48k.
OK. Thanks :thumbsup:

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Guy Rowland wrote: Aug 08, 2020 12:52 pmI’m 48k.
That's amazing, Guy!

You don't look a day over 44.1k.

Best,

Geoff

Topic author
Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

Here is one more improvement I was able to achieve when using Symphonic Motions in Studio One Pro 5.

I usually have Studio One Pro's Dropout Protection set to (minimum). That usually works great 99.% of the time with most of my plug-ins, libraries, ..etc. I decided to change it to (maximum) for this Instrument, and see if it helps, and to my surprise, Yes, it does improve performance. I can now set my buffer down from 1024 to 512 samples, without getting any clicks in the audio.

The audio Player is set to Granular CPU friendly, I also tested with using Low-Elastique mode, and it performed better, but it did produce clicks when I pushed it a bit hard playing lots of fast notes, to produce high polyphony.

Hope this helps you if you are a Studio One Pro 4 or 5 user.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Markus K

Post by Markus K »

I'm on Cubase 10,5 and had a big difference in performing SymphMotns via VePro instead as an instrument in cubase. Was like day and night. One Instrument instance of SM brought the asio meter to collapse pretty fast. After running 3 instances in vepro cb dIdn't bother at all. And my modest Macpro 5.1 Hexacore handles it elegantly. Latency at 512. Maybe it has to do with the fact that you can run it in vepro as AU and in cb only as vst. Don't know.

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Muziksculp wrote: Aug 07, 2020 5:25 pm Thanks for the feedback.

Which audio setting do you have selected for Symph. Motions Player ? (CPU friendly Granular, Low elastique, Mid elastique, Hi elastique ) ?

What about your RAM buffer ?
My comments were based on the default settings, which I felt was an appropriate place to start. :) I am aware though of the recommendation re. using the lowest quality time/pitch stretch while you are working with it, then switching to the highest quality for bouncing. My computer is a 2014 Mac Pro, but I see you appear to be on a PC so this may not be a useful comparison. Logic and AU are once again handling things better than VST in Cubase. Certainly you may wish to try the library in VEPro as well.
Frank E. Lancaster

Topic author
Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

playz123 wrote: Aug 08, 2020 5:53 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Aug 07, 2020 5:25 pm Thanks for the feedback.

Which audio setting do you have selected for Symph. Motions Player ? (CPU friendly Granular, Low elastique, Mid elastique, Hi elastique ) ?

What about your RAM buffer ?
My comments were based on the default settings, which I felt was an appropriate place to start. :) I am aware though of the recommendation re. using the lowest quality time/pitch stretch while you are working with it, then switching to the highest quality for bouncing. My computer is a 2014 Mac Pro, but I see you appear to be on a PC so this may not be a usual comparison. Logic and AU are once again handling things better than VST in Cubase. Certainly you may wish to try the library in VEPro as well.
It's more usual to see VST more efficient on PC than AU on Mac, at least that's what I notice, but this time it seems like there is an exception, also with most of Spitfire Staff using Logic Pro, I'm not very surprised they might be doing most of their testing / development using Logic Pro , although I'm not sure about this.

Testing it in VE-Pro is a good idea. I will do so next week, I have to install VE-Pro 7 on my PC, already have a license.

Thanks.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Without starting a DAW war, which I have no interest in, I don’t remember ever seeing any empirical tests that show that VST on a PC is inherently more efficient than AU on a Mac.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yes AFAIK there’s no inherent difference between vst/win au/mac, but there are obviously huge performance differences between different DAWs and DAWs on different OSs.

Topic author
Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Regarding VST vs AU , I read there is a difference, i.e. Studio One Pro 5 on Mac can run both AU and VST, most users prefer VST, I'm not sure if that is a performance preference, or stability. I'm on Windows, so I can't test this.

But I agree that DAWs and DAWs running on different OS's are the primary factor when it comes to plugin efficiency usage, I also think it depends on the plugin itself, there are always some exceptions.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Ashermusic wrote: Aug 05, 2020 5:43 pm BTW, I just received this to review, and immediately some impressions, after 1/2 hour:

1. This is incredibly useful to add to other strings libraries, like Hollywood Strings, CSS or Afflatus, perhaps.

2. It gives you a tremendous number of ways to vary it to what you want it to do, so if the result is cliche', it's on you.

3. Surprisingly, the Spitfire demo guys use it in a totally different way then I will. Christian says something like , "one track for the whole thing." I am never probably going to do that. I will probably use 4 tracks for each kind of preset so that I have control over each range.

4. Even with no reverb , no ambient mic, it's still pretty wet, so I am going to have to figure out which EW Spaces preset can come closest to that Air Lyndhurst sound.

More and more, in this era where there really are a lot of good "does everything pretty well" libraries, I am thinking that the best thing developers can do for us is give us tools that only do a limited amount of things but do them extremely well.Maybe the immediate glow will wear off, but so far I am impressed.

And of course, I love that they are all Logic Pro guys :)
I just ran across this while surfing online:

Spitfire Audio Symphonic Motions Review

Well done, Jay.

Best,

Geoff

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Thanks, Geoff.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

I just came across a video for Ben Osterhouse's English Bass. The Rhythms feature (walkthrough at 13:17) looks like a nice complement to Symphonic Motions.

Best,

Geoff