There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

VSL Synchron Strings Pro

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Linos

VSL Synchron Strings Pro

Post by Linos »

Just dropping this here:

https://www.vsl.co.at/Synchron_Series/S ... trings_Pro

I haven't even had the time to listen to the demos yet. On the first glance it looks like a Synchron Strings reboot. It's pretty difficult to see what sets Synchron Strings I apart from Pro. They even share some, but not all, of the sample content. So is this a successor to Synchron Strings I?

Piet De Ridder

Re: VSL Synchron Strings Pro

Post by Piet De Ridder »

I got a bit puzzled too when looking for convincers to get Pro. But as my usage of the Synchron Strings is limited to its shorts (which happens to be the sample set that appears to have the most overlap with this new release), and even those don't get loaded up all that often, I'm not really interested in this Pro expansion anyway. For people who like the Synchron Strings however, this release might be exciting news.

__

Topic author
Linos

Post by Linos »

I listened to the demos now. The very first one, 'Lassitude...' by Guy Bacos is very nice. Sounds great. Over all the demos I hear nothing that makes me want to buy it. In some places these strings sound very nice (especially in that first track). In other places they don't sound convincing. The classical demos are not good. That Barber Adagio, my gosh what a bland affair. Completely killed all the feelings this music is so full of. I never thought it would be possible. But this rendition is actually just very, very boring. Night on a bald mountain? The strings clearly are not up to the task - nor was any of the other libraries used here. I can not help but wonder why VSL ever publishes such demos.

Anyway, these are not for me. Some nice things seem to be in there, certainly. Personally I have different preferences for the sound signatures, and I didn't hear any convincing arguments that would make me buy it in these demos.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Linos wrote: Sep 23, 2020 2:16 pm I listened to the demos now. The very first one, 'Lassitude...' by Guy Bacos is very nice. Sounds great. Over all the demosI hear nothing that makes me want to buy it. In some places these strings sound very nice (especially in that first track). In other places they don't sound convincing. The classical demos are not good. That Barber Adagio, my gosh what a bland affair. Completely killed all the feelings this music is so full of. I never thought it would be possible. But this rendition is actually just very, very boring. Night on a bald mountain? The strings clearly are not up to the task - nor was any of the other libraries used here. I can not help but wonder why VSL ever publishes such demos.

Anyway, these are not for me. Some nice things seem to be in there, certainly. Personally I have different preferences for the sound signatures, and I didn't hear any convincing arguments that would make me buy it in these demos.
Pretty much my feelings as well.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

I wouldn't judge Sync. Strings Pro that fast, especially based on the demos posted.

I think these strings sound wonderful, and are a big improvement compared to the original Sync. Strings I release.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Muziksculp wrote: Sep 24, 2020 12:50 am I wouldn't judge Sync. Strings Pro that fast, especially based on the demos posted.

I think these strings sound wonderful, and are a big improvement compared to the original Sync. Strings I release.
So you have them?
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Ashermusic wrote: Sep 24, 2020 1:27 am
Muziksculp wrote: Sep 24, 2020 12:50 am I wouldn't judge Sync. Strings Pro that fast, especially based on the demos posted.

So you have them?
Not yet. :)

Jack Weaver

Post by Jack Weaver »

I've found them to be very useful. So far I've used them with most of my other string libraries and they have mixed well with each of them. Of course, the Synchron Player is ace.

Here is 30 Seconds of the shorts of Synchron Strings Pro alone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdvalgabv7884 ... 3.wav?dl=0

They seem to have a good deal of dynamic range.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Jack Weaver wrote: Oct 13, 2020 8:23 pm I've found them to be very useful. So far I've used them with most of my other string libraries and they have mixed well with each of them. Of course, the Synchron Player is ace.

Here is 30 Seconds of the shorts of Synchron Strings Pro alone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdvalgabv7884 ... 3.wav?dl=0

They seem to have a good deal of dynamic range.

Hi Jack,

Yes, Synchron Strings Pro is a wonderful sounding, and quite versatile Strings Library. The demo track of the shorts you posted sounds very good. Thanks for sharing.

I'm kind of new to using their Synchron Player, but have more experience with their VI-Pro player. I'm trying to develop my custom Synchron Presets/strategy, without using too many keyswitches to reach the target articulation.

Q. Some of the presets that VSL made require two keyswitch notes to arrive at the target articulation, how do you deal with this in your DAW when working with this library ? Any suggestions/tips regarding how best to organize the dimension trees, ..etc. ? Are you making your own custom presets, or are you using the VSL made Presets ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Jack Weaver

Post by Jack Weaver »

Muziksculp wrote: Oct 13, 2020 9:08 pm Q. Some of the presets that VSL made require two keyswitch notes to arrive at the target articulation, how do you deal with this in your DAW when working with this library ? Any suggestions/tips regarding how best to organize the dimension trees, ..etc. ? Are you making your own custom presets, or are you using the VSL made Presets ?
I didn't start using Synchron Player until halfway thru their BBO series. So I'm relatively new to it also.

So far I'm only using their presets but automating the mic channels. My little nanoKontrol2 MIDI controller has tons of sliders, buttons and knobs and it gets put to good use with Synchron (and Spitfire).

I've done next to no exploration of custom presets as of yet - except for copying a preset from a different Synchron library and then successfully pasting it into a separate Synchron Player - eliciting the response, 'Golly, gee whizz...' from me.

It's nice that they have a page on their site showing how to do it. However, I'd prefer just watching someone's Youtube video on how to do it.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Jack Weaver wrote: Oct 14, 2020 3:49 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Oct 13, 2020 9:08 pm Q. Some of the presets that VSL made require two keyswitch notes to arrive at the target articulation, how do you deal with this in your DAW when working with this library ? Any suggestions/tips regarding how best to organize the dimension trees, ..etc. ? Are you making your own custom presets, or are you using the VSL made Presets ?
I didn't start using Synchron Player until halfway thru their BBO series. So I'm relatively new to it also.

So far I'm only using their presets but automating the mic channels. My little nanoKontrol2 MIDI controller has tons of sliders, buttons and knobs and it gets put to good use with Synchron (and Spitfire).

I've done next to no exploration of custom presets as of yet - except for copying a preset from a different Synchron library and then successfully pasting it into a separate Synchron Player - eliciting the response, 'Golly, gee whizz...' from me.

It's nice that they have a page on their site showing how to do it. However, I'd prefer just watching someone's Youtube video on how to do it.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm still not sure how most users are dealing with multiple key-switches to select a specific articulation, simply inputting the two key switches, one after the other (in series), seems a bit of an indirect way to speed up selecting an articulation.

I'm currently studying how to design and make custom Lemur interface/s for my iPad Pro. which I plan to use with custom Synchron Strings Pro presets I will build, that would avoid the multiple key-switching system they have in their presets. I know this is going to take a while to do, but I'm sure it will payoff in the long run. With improved workflow, and speedy access to articulations.

I would be keen to hear about this detail from anyone using VSL Synchron Player libraries, or Synchron Strings Pro.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

richhickey

Post by richhickey »

Muziksculp wrote: Oct 14, 2020 8:54 pm I would be keen to hear about this detail from anyone using VSL Synchron Player libraries, or Synchron Strings Pro.
I use MIDI scripting to turn a single, chase-able message (usually program change or CC32) into the several that Synchron player might require. In Logic you can use Scripter, outside of that I use BlueCat Plug 'n Script, often hosted with Synchron player or VEP inside Blue Cat Patchworks. You could similarly use Bidule etc. That works well but I wish more DAWs, and VEP, supported AU/VST MIDI fx plugins like Logic does (even though it doesn't need it for scripting).

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

richhickey wrote: Oct 16, 2020 1:53 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Oct 14, 2020 8:54 pm I would be keen to hear about this detail from anyone using VSL Synchron Player libraries, or Synchron Strings Pro.
I use MIDI scripting to turn a single, chase-able message (usually program change or CC32) into the several that Synchron player might require. In Logic you can use Scripter, outside of that I use BlueCat Plug 'n Script, often hosted with Synchron player or VEP inside Blue Cat Patchworks. You could similarly use Bidule etc. That works well but I wish more DAWs, and VEP, supported AU/VST MIDI fx plugins like Logic does (even though it doesn't need it for scripting).
Hi richhickey,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't use Logic, My DAW is Studio One Pro 5 on PC.

My strategy is to simply avoid using more than one Synchron Dimension that uses Key-Switches.

I'm also trying to build my own custom Lemur iPad Pro interface, to interact with various sample libraries, perform key-switches via buttons, send CC#s, Prog. Changes, ..etc. No script based tools needed for me. Just some good planning/strategy for a speedy, and logical workflow is what I'm trying to achieve.

richhickey

Post by richhickey »

Here's a mockup of the Psycho prelude I did with Synchron Strings:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VaU7Ed ... sHGi8/view

a raw mix w/o effects:

https://soundcloud.com/mobiac/psychosys/s-etumfafMgTo

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

richhickey wrote: Oct 18, 2020 5:27 pm Here's a mockup of the Psycho prelude I did with Synchron Strings:

a raw mix w/o effects:

Sounds Awesome !

It's also amazing how great the Raw mix sounds, with no effects. This is an amazing strings library, would love them to make a Con Sordino version.

I'm guessing you are using the new Synchron Strings Pro (Full version) , not the older Synchron Strings 1 (Correct) ?

I'm still working on making custom presets, and a custom Lemur Interface for this library. But the more I play with Synchron Strings Pro, the more I'm impressed at how good it sounds, even with no effects. This might become my favorite go to Strings library.

Thanks for sharing.

richhickey

Post by richhickey »

Muziksculp wrote: Oct 18, 2020 7:24 pm
richhickey wrote: Oct 18, 2020 5:27 pm Here's a mockup of the Psycho prelude I did with Synchron Strings:

a raw mix w/o effects:

Sounds Awesome !

It's also amazing how great the Raw mix sounds, with no effects. This is an amazing strings library, would love them to make a Con Sordino version.

I'm guessing you are using the new Synchron Strings Pro (Full version) , not the older Synchron Strings 1 (Correct) ?
Thanks.

Actually this is 100% Synchron Strings I (full). I'd thought I might use some of Pro too, but didn't end up doing so.

It is still indicative of the shorts and sound of Pro.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

richhickey wrote: Oct 18, 2020 8:32 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Oct 18, 2020 7:24 pm

a raw mix w/o effects:

Sounds Awesome !

Thanks.

Actually this is 100% Synchron Strings I (full). I'd thought I might use some of Pro too, but didn't end up doing so.

It is still indicative of the shorts and sound of Pro.
I see. I was under the impression you used the new Syn.Str.Pro.

I'm liking the new Synch. Strings Pro a lot, actually I only liked the short articulations in the older Synch Str. 1, but I think you will find the new Pro version much more satisfying when it comes to the longs, detache, legatos, ...etc., and even the shorts sound wonderful.

richhickey

Post by richhickey »

Muziksculp wrote: Oct 18, 2020 11:06 pm I see. I was under the impression you used the new Syn.Str.Pro.

I'm liking the new Synch. Strings Pro a lot, actually I only liked the short articulations in the older Synch Str. 1, but I think you will find the new Pro version much more satisfying when it comes to the longs, detache, legatos, ...etc., and even the shorts sound wonderful.
I have Pro, but I don't prefer its legatos or longs. SyS I is far more dynamic. I do look forward to augmenting SyS I with the additional Pro articulations (detache etc) though.