There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Spitfire @ Abbey Road !/?

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Lawrence

Re: Spitfire @ Abbey Road !/?

Post by Lawrence »

I completely agree as to the fluidity of phrasing. It’s why I continue to believe in a hybrid sampling/modeling approach.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

From the Spitfire website:
Abbey Road One: Orchestral Foundations is the first in a series of Film Scoring Selections recorded in Studio One. The next titles in this symphonic series will arrive early 2021. These will be smaller, more focused libraries inspired by classic films – offering pre-orchestrated instrument themes. Each Selections library is focussed on accomplishing certain performance elements of orchestral movie music brilliantly - from heroic brass themes, or sparkling woodwind runs, to emotional violin love scenes with a legato patch created using our new recording techniques - you can pick to create your own tailored palette.
For me that doesn't sound like a new BML series but more like a giant Albion/Symphobia/ARK/BigBang combi preset collection. It may be a clever marketing thing because they can sell each instrument in tons of different combinations and textures and fx for ages. But as much as I like the sound this approach is a no go for me. Still possible that they'll record useful orchestra sections and solo instruments some day. I will have a look again when they offer a full Abbey orchestra library. But I'm too old to invest lifetime in a new "wait until it's ready" product.

mcalis

Post by mcalis »

For me that doesn't sound like a new BML series but more like a giant
There are actually three kinds of libraries they are making, not two.
1. The foundation one's (like Albions)
2. The pre-orchestrated one trick ponies.
3. The modular libraries (like BML)

I asked on the VI-C thread for confirmation from spitfire that there would be these three sets of products since more people seemed to think there'd only be two, and Paul Thomson confirmed it directly. I can dig up the post of you like, it's kinda buried by now ;)

Edit: here you go: https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-4664455
Matthias Calis

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

Damn... and I thought I had a good reason to avoid it. Anyway: thanks for the info!

AmG

Post by AmG »

Here's a small audio snippet..
This is D4 note on Long CS....first one is Albion Loegria (which is now discontinued). Released in 2012 I suppose....
and the second one is very recent 2018 release; Albion One!

Since everybody is talking about how Spitfire is such a great company with great sounding libraries, excellent mic options and does great marketing but in reality has degraded when it comes to the poor quality checks and bad scripting...I thought of giving some actual proof to this theory...
One of the main reasons I wanted to buy Albion One was I wanted to replace Albion Loegria and Iceni...coz I was using my mentor's key license.
I thought in six years they would have definitely found this fault in Loegria and since they are re-packaging Albion One, they would have recitified it...
It seems to me...it has gotten worse...
Just don't know how to use this D4 note of a Long CS, the way it is, on quiter moments of scoring!
Seems to me...all those mic positions, the great AIR Lyndhurst sound and those video tutorials by Paul and Homay....can't exactly be put to actual use!

No processing...just straight out of the box! Same MIDI automation, same settings!
Enjoy the 10K LFO sheen and the dropouts!!!

Interesting thing...no one has discussed about this on any of the forums...If there's a thread, please do let me know..may be I missed it...

Yasin Yavuz

Post by Yasin Yavuz »

AmG wrote: Nov 03, 2020 7:32 am Here's a small audio snippet..
This is D4 note on Long CS....first one is Albion Loegria (which is now discontinued). Released in 2012 I suppose....
and the second one is very recent 2018 release; Albion One!

Since everybody is talking about how Spitfire is such a great company with great sounding libraries, excellent mic options and does great marketing but in reality has degraded when it comes to the poor quality checks and bad scripting...I thought of giving some actual proof to this theory...
One of the main reasons I wanted to buy Albion One was I wanted to replace Albion Loegria and Iceni...coz I was using my mentor's key license.
I thought in six years they would have definitely found this fault in Loegria and since they are re-packaging Albion One, they would have recitified it...
It seems to me...it has gotten worse...
Just don't know how to use this D4 note of a Long CS, the way it is, on quiter moments of scoring!
Seems to me...all those mic positions, the great AIR Lyndhurst sound and those video tutorials by Paul and Homay....can't exactly be put to actual use!
Since the beginning Spitfire has never been a company with quality control or attention to detail. Their success comes from using famous names. Air studios, Joby Burgess, Hans Zimmer, Eric Whitacre, Abbey Road etc. I have a few of their libraries. I like them but they're nowhere near perfect. Inconsistencies and lousy programming all over the place. IMHO Chamber Strings will be always their best library and I'm glad to have it even though it has similar problems.