There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Modern Scoring Strings

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Linos

Modern Scoring Strings

Post by Linos »

Just dropping this here. Audiobro has posted some info about their upcoming Modern Scoring Strings (aka LASS 3):

https://audiobro.com/modern-scoring-strings/

Due out by the end of the year.

Guy Rowland

Re: Modern Scoring Strings (aka LASS 3)

Post by Guy Rowland »

Huh - I kinda thought this would be a new scripting / UI engine for the old LASS.

Not quite sure how I feel about this yet, since the 3 part divisi was a huge part of LASS's USP, a place where you can play triads and it sounds good. I also liked the one mic position approach. MSS is 200gb in its full version vs the old 16gb (another 6 for Sordinos) and has less section control.

But of course it'll all be in the sound, and on that no-one has a clue.

Topic author
Linos

Post by Linos »

Yes, too bad that audio demos will only be posted upon release. Without any idea how it will sound it makes no sense to jump in on LASS during the sale and gamble. No word if these are new recordings entirely, or some old, some new. Will be interesting to see what's in the 'Expanded legato' addition.
Guy I agree that the 3 part divisi was a great concept and a usp.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I think the expanded legato is covered in their articulations table - Sordino, Sul Pont and Sul Tasto legato.

I'd assumed it was new recordings, but maybe they went right back to multitrack to recover the original separate mics?

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

The name of the library seems to imply a connection—either sonically, structurally, or both—with Modern Scoring Brass. How are you liking MSB after working with it for over a year, Guy?

Best,

Geoff

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yes, its clearly a stable-mate of the brass. I still very much like MSB brass yes. Compared to CineBrass, my other main library, its more detailed and refined, and plays better, but sometimes CB is the better choice depending on the sound and cue.

My biggest niggle with it has been that it is a HUGE resource hog, even on unloaded instruments. I wanted to create separate long and short instruments, and it was taking up so much RAM. Sebastian helped me out and there are hacks you can do in Kontakt to get rid of a lot of unnecessary stuff, so what's in my template is now really good. Audiobro support is exceptional, it has to be said.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Thanks for the update, Guy. I'm afraid that MSS looks like it could be a resource hog as well. I look forward to the reports of early adopters to see whether that's true.

As for MSB, I'm happy to hear that it's working well for you for the most part and that Audiobro has been so helpful. CineBrass seems like a good alternative when MSB isn't fitting the bill.

Best,

Geoff

Erik

Post by Erik »

Doesn’t seem to have much love for MSB on VI Control...
But it is said over there that violas in Lass3 will be same samples as Lass2.

Don’t have Lass but always liked it, based on different tests and comparisons.
With Albion One, SCB and SSS, EWQLSO and Symphobia I don’t have any equivalent on my HDs.
"I'm using more black notes now and there are a lot of chords in the last album, too" Vince Clarke -1986

richhickey

Post by richhickey »

Erik wrote: Nov 28, 2020 7:16 am Doesn’t seem to have much love for MSB on VI Control...
FYI - Just the solo viola is from LASS, the viola sections (and everything else) are all new.

Stakk

Post by Stakk »

The GUI reminds me of their previous joint library with NI (Symphony Series) which played and programmed really good and smooth, but the sound and player performance was honestly a bit too flat for a wet library to my taste. I am pretty sure the programming and recording quality are topnotch as every other Audiobro library, but I am hoping that the new library has some color to it.

Erik

Post by Erik »

richhickey wrote: Nov 28, 2020 9:16 am
Erik wrote: Nov 28, 2020 7:16 am Doesn’t seem to have much love for MSB on VI Control...
FYI - Just the solo viola is from LASS, the viola sections (and everything else) are all new.
Ah thanx !
"I'm using more black notes now and there are a lot of chords in the last album, too" Vince Clarke -1986

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Looking forward to the new AudioBro MSS release.

I was not happy with LASS, sonically or as far as the setup, and overall user interfacing with it is concerned.

Hopefully MSS will sound much better, and make it easier to use it, and offer more cool features, I'm also hoping the the upgrade/cross grade from LASS 2.5 to MSS will be attractive.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Erik wrote: Nov 28, 2020 7:16 am Doesn’t seem to have much love for MSB on VI Control....
I always thought that lack of love over there was a bit unjustified. Having read the introductory thread pretty thoroughly, I noticed that most were reacting negatively to the high introductory price and Audiobro video walkthroughs (or lack there of). Of the few purchasers who reported in, I read one glowing review (from Nathan Furst), one positive impression (from Guy), one mixed reaction, and one negative response. Based on my respect for Guy and my knowledge of Nathan Furst, I weigh the positive responses highest of the four.

Best,

Geoff

Erik

Post by Erik »

I understand what you mean, Geoff.
It seems some are disappointed of how it sounds. One is talking about the possibly bad idea of just recording soloist.

Topic author
Linos

Post by Linos »

Odd decision to not re-record the solo viola as well. Especially since MSS was recorded in a different studio than LASS. And no solo bass included. But Audiobro knows what they are doing, so maybe the old solo viola integrates smoothly, and a solo bass isn't needed with MSS.
Somebody asked why they didn't stick to their proven 3 part divisi approach of LASS. It is much more flexible than the two part divisi, isn't it? Audiobro didn't answer directly, but in essence said that it is a new library, and if you need 3 part divisi you should stick to LASS.

Ultimately a lot comes down to the sound though. And we won't know about that until the release.

richhickey

Post by richhickey »

I just hope it is in tune.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Erik wrote: Nov 29, 2020 4:16 am I understand what you mean, Geoff.
It seems some are disappointed of how it sounds. One is talking about the possibly bad idea of just recording soloist.
You're right, Erik. I've read that too. Some people just don't like the sound of it. Of course, that goes for the wet library vs. the dry library debate as well; but with MSB, it seems to be more than that.

Just today, purple wrote that it has "a subtly harsh tone that only gets worse the more of the instruments you use."

I apologize for the off-topic posts about a stablemate of the upcoming Modern Scoring Strings. I'll try to do a better job of staying on topic going forward.

Best,

Geoff

Erik

Post by Erik »

Thanx for replying, Geoff.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Update : MSS Release date has been delayed to End of Jan. 2021.

https://audiobro.com/modern-scoring-strings/

Topic author
Linos

Post by Linos »

Pricing has been announced.

New customers: 549$ (699$ full price)
Audiobro customer, but not LASS: 499$
LASS Full crossgrade: 399$

The expanded legato addition costs 279$ (399$ full price) / 249$ / 199$.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Any demos yet, Linos? I'll confess I'm pretty decided this won't be for me even without hearing it, now I know that LASS 3 will be a separate thing which is more interesting to me.

Topic author
Linos

Post by Linos »

No demos so far if I am not mistaken. I'm curious to hear how it sounds, eventhough I probably won't buy it. There are just so many strings libraries around already. And I concur with you about LASS 3. I do like its divisi approach better than the two-part divisi in MSS.

kpc

Post by kpc »

hmmm. Not an immediate purchase for me. I love LASS and use it all the time. I think at $199 I would go for it - but $399 (+$199) is a bit too much for me at this point. Will be very interested in seeing the demos and hearing it, but I am less excited by it than I once was.

I understand they need to make money on it, and I don't fault AudioBro for the pricing. In fact, it is probably very generous loyalty price since LASS was over $1k when I bought it years ago. But for now, my wallet is still safely tucked away.
- kayle

Pablo Crespo

Post by Pablo Crespo »

yeah, I was excited but I don´t find the crossgrade tempting so far
Pablo Crespo
Argentina

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I'll confess I'm a little worried for Audiobro. They are one of my favourite companies. I really like MSB but I doubt it sold well. Ditto LADD. I just don't understand why they've sunk what must be hundreds and thousands of dollars into an entirely new string library when LASS is the jewel in their crown. Yes, I get not everyone likes the tone, but in such a crowded market it feels terrible folly to make what on paper is just another string library, albeit no doubt well executed and scripted.