There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Spitfire Audio: The Ton 4 day deal

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Spitfire Audio: The Ton 4 day deal

Post by Guy Rowland »

100 euros for Orchestral Swarm, Spitfire Harp and Ricotti Mallets seems like a pretty good deal. Available til Dec 1.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/the-ton

Lawrence

Re: Spitfire Audio: The Ton 4 day deal

Post by Lawrence »

...and I’m looking for an alternative harp and some more mallets. Nice coinkidink, thanks Guy.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

MarkArandjus

Post by MarkArandjus »

Nice coinkidink indeed - I was looking at Orchestral Swarm before bed last night, I still have the tab open! Thanks, Guy.
I don't even need a harp or mallets, but this deal apparently costs as much as orchestral swarm by itself??

Does anyone have orchestral swarm and would be willing to drop a thought or two regarding it before I decide on the purchase?
I just seems interesting and sounds like it would be great for... unusual productions.

Duncan Krummel

Post by Duncan Krummel »

Hi Mark, Orchestral Swarm is one of the few Spitfire libraries I own, but I have to say it’s really effective. I wouldn’t even call it niche, as several of the less pointillistic patches are great layering tools. Hollow flutes? Layer with strings! It’s a great coloring tool IMO.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I bought the deal, tried the harp and like the tone, haven’t figured out the glisses yet, not intuitive, time for the manual.

Whatever use I get from Orchestral Swarm is a complete bonus, same with the mallets as the entire price of the deal is less than what the harp was. I’m pleased.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

MarkArandjus

Post by MarkArandjus »

I suppose I'll get Orchestral Swarm, it seems too unusual to never be useful, if that makes sense. Everyone says it's a fantastic addition to embellish tracks. Some of the sounds the low strings make are RIGHT up my alley too.
Besides I've always wanted something orchestral from Spitfire, but as but a serious hobbyist I could never justify the pricetag, so here's my chance.
Thanks again!

PS
One thing that does bother me though is the siiize. 30 gigs, man, jeez. Wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact that it's probably that big from SIX mic positions. I'm sure some people need all those mics, but I wish there'd be a way to make it modular, like Superior Drummer, where all the mountains of extra little mic bleeds and whatnot are optional.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lawrence wrote: Nov 26, 2020 12:52 pm I bought the deal, tried the harp and like the tone, haven’t figured out the glisses yet, not intuitive, time for the manual.

Whatever use I get from Orchestral Swarm is a complete bonus, same with the mallets as the entire price of the deal is less than what the harp was. I’m pleased.
Similar feelings here, Larry. The harp sounds great, I really like the tone and there are lots of useful variations. However the manual promises that we'll get the hang of the glisses in no time but I absolutely don't, it consistently feels like I'm-feeling-lucky patch.

Swarm is fine and a million miles from the new sampling breakthrough breathlessly promised, but it would only need a couple of good uses to earn its keep at this more realistic bundled price. Ridiculous and totally pointless number of mic positions in a dry stage bloating its size. Ditto the mallets really, which inexplicably doesn't have a built in reverb and are dry as a bone. But the good thing about the mallets is that there are a lot of useful playing technique variations to get just the right tone, and the vibrato glockenspiel is really lovely for a more sparkly magical vibes feel. Never heard that before, nor knew it was even a thing.

In all The Ton feels like a typical Spitfire experience. Wildly over-hyped and loads of pointless bloat, but with some real pearls in there too.

scherzo

Post by scherzo »

I've been on the lookout for some more harp and mallet options, so I picked these up as well. Haven't had the time to play with them much yet, but I like what I've heard so far. The mallets do seem to suffer a bit from mic bloat, as many of the perspectives seem superfluously similar to one another - but oh well. Still a nice and welcome addition, and at a very decent price.

Haven't downloaded the Swarm yet. In fact, I haven't the foggiest idea of what this library even is, but maybe it will be a useful 'freebie extra' whenever I get around to it ;)

Anyways, thanks for posting this offer, Guy. Probably would have missed it otherwise as I've largely unsubscribed from everything due to hype fatigue.

Erik

Post by Erik »

In all The Ton feels like a typical Spitfire experience. Wildly over-hyped and loads of pointless bloat, but with some real pearls in there too.
:D :D :D
"I'm using more black notes now and there are a lot of chords in the last album, too" Vince Clarke -1986

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I hadn't bothered to open the emails about TON, since I am on this no new libraries kick (and managing fairly well I might add!)

It is a very attractive deal! I own the mallets, and they are really good.

I really like the sound of the harp, based on the demos, and the only other harp I own is the Chocolate Audio harp, which is really good, but sounds different, more modern maybe?

Swarm is fascinating. Having struggled with a couple of their "innovative" approaches I am wary, but I really like the sounds in the demo, and I could find uses for them.

I have no idea yet whether or not I will jump, as I really do want to limit BF purchases.

The other library that has my interest is ProjectSam Pandora Core. They got my attention with the announcement of the new Colours library, but I ended up looking at Pandora instead. Coincidence? I think not!